Question on Recording Audio from Redrum to Ableton - HELP PLEASE!!!

me1999now

Whatup forum, I'm back with another annoyingly stoopid question.

I'm using Redrum to program my drum patterns but am wondering how I can get the notes or midi information from my programmed drum steps into a clip in Ableton.

Currently when I hit play in Ableton the audio from my Redrum pattern plays but no information is contained in any actual clips. I want to be able to mute and solo my drum parts for arrangement purposes. However, even if I mute or solo one of my drum tracks in Ableton I still hear my entire drum pattern playing. Also, when I record my performances in session mode no information is recorded on my drum tracks in the arrangement mode; however, I still hear my drum pattern on playback and even when I export the master track.

Just to clarify, I'm programming the midi information on the Redrum itself and not on the Ableton piano roll. I have several Redrums for each drum part (kick, clap, open hats, closed hats, toms, etc.) routed directly into the Hardware Interface in Reason, with its output linked to an External Instrument in Ableton.

Any thoughts? I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

---------- Post added 05-28-2010 at 06:15 AM ---------- Previous post was 05-27-2010 at 11:11 AM ----------

Any thoughts??? I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks in advance.

What did you use to sequence your drum patterns?

Did you use Ableton's sequencer?

Did you use Reason's sequencer?

or

Did you use Redrum's sequencer?

Last edited:
If you want to be able to control everything from Live then you should first make your Redrum pattern a midi pattern in Reason. Export the midi file, and then open that midi file in Live.

Or you could just record the audio into Live.

I'm trying to record the audio into Live from Reason but I'm not sure how to do it. When I play a Thor or Subtractor the midi information gets stored in the clips and not the audio. For the Redrum nothing is stored but I hear the audio.

How do I record only the audio from Reason into clips in Ableton? This is where I'm getting confused. I would think that if I hit record on my clip and play my Reason instruments it should record the audio but it doesn't.

Thanks again.

Open an audio track in Live. Make sure that track's "Audio From" is set to Reason. Arm the track for recording, and go.

Ok, that sounds simple enough. I was thinking that I could record the audio directly into the External Instrument track. That's probably where I went wrong.

So what I'll do is just remove the external instrument tracks I have for my Redrums, replace them with audio tracks and follow the steps you mentioned.

Thanks bro!

"External Instrument" is really only a midi track. In other words, you can only open the "External Instrument" feature in a midi track. So the only thing that you can record is midi data on that track. It was designed to increase workflow and simplify Rewiring Reason. Before the Abes included EI, you would have to open a midi track and an audio track just to sequence a Reason device and hear it. With EI, you only need one track for that now.

If you want to record audio from Reason, you wouldn't open a midi track. You open an audio track, and do exactly what I said in my earlier post.

That was a typo. Mean to say audio track. But thanks again hommie.

---------- Post added at 12:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:37 PM ----------

Also thank for the EI explanation too. Makes a ton of sense.

You need two channels in Ableton. 1 is the midi channel (even though your patterns are in Reason) and 1 is audio. Set the audio to IN and send the output from the midi channel to the audio channel. Now arm the record on the audio channel and press play.

Done! :)

in ableton, you do not need two tracks (midi/audio)...

rewire reason to ableton using the "external instrument"...

create your part in Reason...

with the "external instrument" you could right click on the top of the track and freeze and then flatten and you will have an audio file in that clip..

when i rewire reason to ableton, i use ableton live's sequencer to program the drums. to me there's more freedom in playing around with it. plus, i dig the midi effects in ableton versus what reason has to offer

Back