Presets

Deefex

dB Shifter
So i was installing some presets for FM8 that i got online and i'm wondering something after seeing how many was in the zip file. Can you ever have too many presets for a soft synth? I went through a phase where i was looking for presets for massive, sylenth1 and fm8 anywhere i could find. Then when that thirst died down, i'm just left wondering, "Do i really need all of these?". I guess if you have 500 presets it can't hurt. But does anyone really 2000+ presets? lol. The other day i asked myself a question, "why am i not making as many tracks as i used to when i first got into music production?". And now i know the reason, I'm always looking for more and when i get more, i'm always looking through it to find a better sound. So on this never ending search for quality sounds, i start to lose time and don't actually do what i should do and that is MAKE MUSIC!
So anyone else have the same thoughts?

Well, i want to know if other people have a lot of presets or what their thoughts are on having too many presets. I've made up my mind already.

A ton of presets can be too much if they are overwhelming. But like said before some see it as more colors. It really depends on you. I personally dislike digging through presets if I already have a sound in my head.

Your story describes exactly what I'm doing.. I used to make beats all the time.. now all I got is a bunch of half started beats.. I go digging for new sounds and shit like vst and presets and shit but its never enough.. I'm always overlooking what I do have. I have some of the best shit hardware and software but its never enough and its starting to kinda take over my productivity and time..

I feel you man.. more is NOT better in my opinion... not all the time..

Back