Opinions on best sampling daw

Aye Freezy

Just looking for opinions, which is better for sampling reason 5/recycle or ableton live 8? Better as in, easiest to use, more features, you know just give your opinions or what you use. Thanks.

I gotta say Ableton. You get a good visual with time streatching / warping. You could get the transient markers like recycle and have it all set and ready to play on the keyboard with the slice to midi track.

warping.png

Heres a screenshot you can do this in any other daw, but you have control of of your samples.

http://uploadpad.com/files/Abletox_Screen.jpg

Then you have drum racks which is has the MPC pad style with chokes groups, then you also have simpler and sampler which is made for things of that nature. So you pretty much have control of everything WITHOUT using "other" programs.

renoise. it's a tracker but if you're ok with that then it's probably the best DAW out there for dealing with samples. it is a sampler/sequencer. if not i'd probably say ableton. problem with the reason/recycle combo is that you're using two separate programs. it may not sound like a big deal, because it's not like you can't have two programs open at once, but it can get in the way of your workflow. for example let's say you chop a sample in recycle and export it as a rex file to open in reason. you can't change the slice points unless you reopen the file in recycle and save your changes. it's not as seamless as an all-in-one solution.

you can sample directly into reason now though. but it would still be great if they implemented recycle fully into the program.

FL Studio.

I really gotta try Live tho.

Edit: My 2 year old daughter just walked in and pointed at that pic from live. i asked her if she knew what it was, she said it was "a Beat". Lol.

Last edited:
I've been trying out kong in Reason 5- The lay out, and the chopping features in the nano nnxt feel similar to an MPC. I think I might prefer reason now for sampling production more than Ableton.

Just looking for opinions, which is better for sampling reason 5/recycle or ableton live 8? Better as in, easiest to use, more features, you know just give your opinions or what you use. Thanks.

Live while its interface may seem a little weird at first is great for sampling of loops and oneshot drum sounds.

It has the most extensive looping facilities I've seen in one app.

Everything is drag and drop. Just record your clip to a new track or session clip slot.

From there drag it into a sampler or drag it into a new instrument or drum pad (depending on what you are trying to do) and your sample will be automatically mapped to your midi keyboard.

The sample editor (for chopping and zooming) is the best editor (in terms of quickly zoning in on your start and end points) I've seen on
any sampler and although I hate using the mouse, Live handles this with the mouse in a superb manner.

Also it's session view clips will allow you to quantize audio (manually or automatically) and timestretch to tempo or pitch shift your audio. You can have Live auto chop your session view clips to make them available as separate chops in a drum rack so you can play them on your keyboard and/or manipulate the generated midi file (a la recycle).

Live sampler only gets bad if you are trying to use it as a multisampler (in that case Kontakt is about the only option, and I don't think any DAW would do multisampling good).

Reason 5 is my favorite. Followed by Sony Acid which people for some reason really sleep on. Acid is the shit and the original sampling daw

Try SampleOne in Studio One from Presonus.........it's unbelievable! This DAW is only 1 year old and outbeats most DAW's! Plus, VST's and Rewire!!!

Check out 1.5 new features, sampling Rex files starts around 5mns:

youtube.com/watch?v=9lZO_lzUNig&feature=related

Last edited:
Back