"New Producer" Questions

cuzzim2real

Hello all

a little background

Ive been using FL since ver. 3 but only as a hobby, but as of late ive been wanting to get serious. I wanted to go the MPC/hardware route, but i stumbled on this site and read up that with software i can do the same things. Ive been using my typing keyboard as a "keyboard" and many people say im pretty good at what i do. Im ready to take it to the next level. Ive searched the forums and im not quite clear on what i really need to do that. I don't need to be able to record vocals or anything just yet. I just want to be able to have the best gear to enhance my creativity. Im not concerned with getting "G.A.S" because im very good with money and ill ask a million questions before i spend a dime.

From my research i understand that i need:
Audio interface
Decent monitors
midi keyboard/and or some pads
learn a new type of software (personal choice)
What are some things i should consider?

Can any of you guys give any suggestions on what i should pick up?

I just got a 5000 credit limit at musician's friends
and about 3-4k in cash to blow. I dont reallly want to charge but i will if i have to.

My Computer setup is:
AMD 2.3 triple core with 3gigs RAM (running 32 bit xp but im going win 7 64 in a few days)<----is it necessary?
I run FL 9 Pro with sample tank, FM8, kontact

Im thinking of switching to cubase. Not because i dont think FL is good but because i just like the challenge of learning.
What software should i pick up coming from something like FL? What else would i need to purchase with that?

Any help is appreciated....thanks in advance

Ableton Live 8 Or Reason 5 With A 49 Key Keyboard. If You Want Pads Included With The Keys Get A MPK 49 Or 25. If You Just Want Pads MPD 32, 26 Or 24 Are My Recommendations.
If You Want Monitors I Heard KRKs A Real Good For That. As For Headphone Monitors I Recommend Sennheiser But Thats My Personal Prefrence.
Try Out Daws At Places Like Guitar Center Or DL Demos For Certain DAWs. See What Would Suit You More :)
I Prefer FL And Ableton As My 2 Main DAWs.
As For Interfaces It Depends What You Looking for, If You Want Pro Tools Mastering Get The Newest MBOX Pro Or Mbox Mini, I Also Heard PreSounus Makes Good Interfaces Too.

What kind of music do you make? A lot of DAWs have strengths/weaknesses for different production styles.

any midi controller will do trust me what you really need is a good daw i personnally use reason 5 im tryin to see this pro tools 9 but like i said dnt spend to much on midi controllers as that all are mostly the same none produce sound im telling you from experience ive made and sold beats to bun b slim thug of the muscle without even having equiptment its all how you use it not nesscerily has to be the most expensive so if i was you i would spend on a good daw and a basic keyboard and your set trust me you wont regret it

Back