Migrating to New Sound Card - Old tracks have gone silent. Please help

Tysheria

Hey guys. I'm new to this forum, i was wondering if you guys can help me out.
I'm not so much a newbie, I've been producing for 4 years now. I am currently using my Virus TI Snow as my sound card, but it has caused numerous issues since i switched from my old Lexicon Alpha to the Virus. Mad potent Synth but unfortunately is a crappy sound card so I've learnt.

I've been through a lot of troubleshooting to try and get my Virus's latency problems sorted but nothing has helped yet, but i believe that this will help... I bought the same sound card i had before i swapped using it for the Virus, I believe that running a Synth like the Virus is already a lot of throughput through a USB, using it as a sound card for production on top of that i think is bottle-necking (as it is all going through one USB port) I have a Core 2 duo Intel. This is not why I'm writing to ask for help, its just so you know.

Anyway so I now have my old model sound card back and installed it 2 days ago-which should fix the latency issues, but alas, i knew something like this would happen...

All of my current tracks which I am working on will now not work (have no sound coming out of each track) because they were all produced using my Virus as the Sound card. I want to know if there's a way to fix this and make all of them work? For the meantime I've gone back to using my Virus as i have lots of projects on the go which I wont simply leave in the dust. Even if i finish them off it will take a while, but I keep on starting new projects as I produce Psytrance, High-Tech Trance, Progressive Trance, Hip Hop and Dubstep so theres no single time where all my projects will be done for migrating.

I use Cubase 5 as my DAW. Please let me know if you have any methods that I could use to sort my setup out. Any help is much appreciated. Very Desperate here :4theloveofgod:

With Steinberg daw programs, you must first initialize the asio drivers for whatever audio device you're using. This can be found under > programs > the steinberg cubase folder > asio direct x or your s/c's asio setup.

Hey man, Thanks for the reply. How do you mean "initialize?"

When you go to start (if you're on a windows system), you go to your "all programs" folder. In short, I left the detailing info to where you need to go. Once you get to the program folder, you'll see the detailing options for the steinberg program. The initializing feature is right there with little green & red arrows going in opposite directions depicting your "ASIO Full Duplex Setup" icon.

You might have more than one, but if not, then you need to hit that (or whichever one you think you need) to start the initialization process for your audio card. The rest is self explained.

Thanks man, I only have

ASIO DirectX Full Duplex Setup
ASIO Generic Lower Latency Driver Setup

But the sound card is a Lexicon Alpha? I'm confused here. Why is it not in the list?

If i go to device settings in cubase i can set the audio device to my card which is listed here- Alpha ASIO. Even if i do so there is no sound coming out of my older projects.

Not sure what steps i should take now?

Thanks man, I only have

ASIO DirectX Full Duplex Setup
ASIO Generic Lower Latency Driver Setup

But the sound card is a Lexicon Alpha? I'm confused here. Why is it not in the list?

If i go to device settings in cubase i can set the audio device to my card which is listed here- Alpha ASIO. Even if i do so there is no sound coming out of my older projects.

Not sure what steps i should take now?

Under your devices tab within Cubase, down to vst connections, you will see various tabs for input, output, efx, etc. Go to the output tab and see what output connections you're using.

Also under your windows audio properties, check out what's selected, especially if you have multiple outputs to choose from.

Last edited:
Under your devices tab within Cubase, down to vst connections, you will see various tabs for input, output, efx, etc. Go to the output tab and see what output connections you're using.

Also under your windows audio properties, check out what's selected, especially if you have multiple outputs to choose from.

Hey man, I have the lexicon alpha available in vst connections. But setting it doesn't help for some reason.

Also I did set my default playback device to the lexicon alpha in windows before opening cubase.

Any suggestions? :(

Hey man, I have the lexicon alpha available in vst connections. But setting it doesn't help for some reason.

Also I did set my default playback device to the lexicon alpha in windows before opening cubase.

Any suggestions? :(

Check your track properties too. There's certain areas around the user interface such as track properties that shows what audio I/O information (providing you have an audio track selected of course) you're using. Also open up your mixer properties and see what things look like in that area.

Once you get to know how steinberg daws work regardless of what version, they all are the same. The areas I pointed out to you are the places you need to focus on to see what's not in place or not properly selected.

Double check you have the latest audio interface drivers installed. Then in the preferences select the correct audio driver. Should work fine.

Back