Magix Music studio?

it sounds really nice on paper, has won the best buy-award from FM(which sucks as a mag), but is it all that?
most of all, is the audioengine really the same as Samplitudes?

MAGIX audio studio

Improvements over the previous versions have been identified with ,

new functions with , and enhancements with .

Record Track freezing for faster performance
Tuner & Audio metronome
Multi I/O, multi-track mixer for up to 64 stereo channels
Real-time effects: delay, parametric 4 band EQ, dynamics, stereo enhancer, plotable FFT filter, graphic 10 band EQ, multi-band compressor, vocoder, tube amp simulation
Edit Vocoder with side chain input
Transport control with snap, tempo & beat input
Non-destructive WAV and MP3 editing
Reverse, resampling, tempo and pitch adjustment
Drum loop function (separate individual sounds)
Echo, surround & 3D room simulator
Variable track depths
Up to 100 undos/redos (undo history list)
Real-time vocoder - with 2nd input for carriers
Easy tempo adjustment of entire songs (including objects)
Master Sound cloner preset
MAGIX MultiMax multi-band compressor
32 bit float support, 24 bit export
Master 10 band equalizer
Sound restoration: denoising, declipping, dehissing
Sound optimization: stereo enhancer, compressor, normalizer

MAGIX midi studio

Arrange & Compose 4 stereo outputs
Sequencer with unlimited MIDI tracks
Groove quantization, song editing with 6 editors
Crossfades, precision video dubbing (AVI)
Loop production set: royalty-free samples
Detailed note printouts with lyrics
Instruments & Plug-ins Total of 12 instrument tracks
4 drum modules (rock, acoustic, techno, hip-hop)
2 additional drum kits for each module
7 virtual instruments for all types of sounds
Hyperdraw: automates mixer & plug-in parameters
Sample editor: time & pitch, groove machine, audio energizer
Auto/manual mixer (up to 48 effects inserts, 2 master inserts)
14 real-time effects: reverb, delay, distorter, chorus, filter, pitchshifter, 15 band graphic EQ, etc
FM Synthesizer FMX1: 16-voice polyphonic synth
MAGIX Robota: virtual analog drum computer with step sequencer
SilverSynth & drum & bass machine
Batch processing, including master effects

Interfaces [*] VST™, DirectX™ , ASIO Support
Music CD and project backup burning
Audio CD import with preview
Internet publishing (songs, data, photos, lyrics and much more)
Audio Email: send directly from the program
Synchronize with SMPTE, MTC, MC (master and slave)

Import / Export MIDI standard formats (MID: GM, GS, XG), Sample formats (SF2, EXS)
WAV, WAV with Codec, OGG Vorbis and MP3 (MP3 Demo Encoder with 20 free runs - additional purchase required for unlimited use)
Import AIFF, AVI, MOV
Extract and export video sound
Export in 24 bit WAV, Import 24 bit and 32 bit float WAVs
Export Streaming Audio WMA™, RealAudio™, QuickTime™)

http://site.magix.net/uploads/pics/comparison.jpg

i'm intrested in it, cos it's cheap as ...., i mean all that for 70$? ..... even Fruity ain't that cheap.
only thing that worries me is the sound quality..

i hate demo's. they allways are missing some crucial elements like renderin or .... like that.. of course i wanna hear what the software can do to know if i wanna buy it :)

and all the "unofficial demos" have been in deutch, i really can't use those..

Same audio engine as samplitude? Everything has the same "audio engine" as Samplitude. Don't be fooled by the hype and the catch phrases (Remember MacIntosh's Velocity Engine). All of these sequencers sound exactly the same, or so close that you can't tell the difference. Anyway, as sequencers go, I've never warmed up to Magix products. Some of them are so cheap though that I bought them just for the included samples as long as they were in wav format. I bought Ejay like that and had to export each and every sample I liked manually because they were not in standard wave format.

Music studio comes with two programs for that price. MidiStudio(basically LogicAudio for PC) and AudioStudio(Samplitude lite). The only real limitation of these two programs, is they only allow access to a stereo pair of ins and outs. You can't record more than two inputs at a time, and you can only output on one stereo pair.
Other than that, they are really good regardless of the money. You get VST instruments, effects, DXi compatibility, the whole nine.

correction: I just read on their site, they now support 4 stereo outs with midi studio.
I don't have the latest version, I started with Magix 7 years ago, with music Studio 4, upgraded to 5 then 6. then moved on to Sonar when I needed the extra inputs, and I had to move to WinXP(at the time Magix was a little late crossing over).

L. A. Stone said:
All of these sequencers sound exactly the same, or so close that you can't tell the difference. Anyway, as sequencers go, I've never warmed up to Magix products. Some of them are so cheap though that I bought them just for the included samples as long as they were in wav format. I bought Ejay like that and had to export each and every sample I liked manually because they were not in standard wave format.
whoa, a mouthfull of bull.....
no, all sequencers don't sound the same. not all can use 32 bit floating math etc..
and keep the ejay-trashtalk to your self, your mixing the Music Studio with Music Maker, which is kind of like ejay.

and for you info, magix makes Samplitude, so it has the "same" audioengine.

Last edited:
1005 said:

whoa, a mouthfull of bull.....
no, all sequencers don't sound the same. not all can use 32 bit floating math etc..
and keep the ejay-trashtalk to your self, your mixing the Music Studio with Music Maker, which is kind of like ejay.

and for you info, magix makes Samplitude, so it has the "same" audioengine.

LOL @ "Audio engine". I love that word! By the way, a fellow producer of mine is a beta tester for Samplitude so you're not telling me nothing new. But to tell you the truth, I've seen this point argued for years with audio software developers involved so no need to bother arguing it yet again.

i don't get your point?
your saying all companies use the same audio engine ?(that's software code, you know? protected by licences and ....?)

1005 said:
i don't get your point?
your saying all companies use the same audio engine ?(that's software code, you know? protected by licences and ....?)

I of course I did not say that they all use the same code, but according to some of these developers, it's all a matter of math and it's been said that that math is difficult to screw up. Hence, all the respective "audio engines" actually sound the same at the end of the day, or so close that the human ear can't hear the difference. That's my point. Every sequencer must strive for "transparency" because nobody wants a sequencer that colors their sound upon output. If you visit the website of any of these sequencers, will they tell you flat out that their audio engine sounds better than someone else's? Funny that users are certain of this but apparently makers of Cubase, Logic, and Samplitude aren't. As you must know, if either of them had such an advantage, they'd flaunt it like there was no tomorrow. But they are very careful to not do that because if they did, they'd have to either prove it, or be exposed for being the liar that they are. The most they can say is that they have a "pristine audio engine" because that cannot be disputed and it also plants a seed in the head of potential customers? That kind of wording inversely implies that someone else's audio engine is not pristine. That's enough to fuel the imagination of consumers and help them to spend some money. You think it's a load of bull, then give Magix a call and ask them if their "audio engine" sounds better that of Cubase or Logic or whatever else. Call any of them and see if you can get them to come out and say it. If they just read off their website, then you should have your answer.

ok, i can agree with you on that.
some small bits of differences are still easy to notice.. like Kristal, it's a decent software but when i was trying it out, same time using Nuendo (1.5), everything i drove out of Nuendo, could be put about 1-2 db more volume than Kristal (same audio files and plugins)... code optimization is the key, i guess

1005 said:
ok, i can agree with you on that.
some small bits of differences are still easy to notice.. like Kristal, it's a decent software but when i was trying it out, same time using Nuendo (1.5), everything i drove out of Nuendo, could be put about 1-2 db more volume than Kristal (same audio files and plugins)... code optimization is the key, i guess

Same thing with Reason. It has an "admitted" -3db output. The thing is, anything that comes out of Reason will be very very quiet compared to anything coming out of other sequencers. Then on top of that, you have access to the best software plugins in other sequencers so you can strap on something like Voxengo Sonic Finalizer and push the loudness even further. But the sound quality out of Reason is still as good, just not as loud. As you know, the "professional" community has whole heartedly embraced Reason even with this drawback which is obvious from the first time you attempt to mix something with it. So the sound quality of it is definately good enough for professional work.

1005 said:
so, any users here?
can it record many inputs simutaneously?
can it record 24 bit?

what do you want to record?? vocals?? no you can't do that in reason..

you can create beats in reason, but it's not meant as a full sequencer to lay out complete tracks (including vocals)

can it record 24 bit?? we already cleared the "recording" question, so: NO..

but the bitrate depends on your soundcard.. if your soundcard only handles 16 bit, then there's no way that you can record 24 bit in ANY audiosoftware

Back