how far can you get using fl studio?

I wondered this very question about a year ago, when I first started using FL. So I did a quick search.
According to the Image Line website: Mike Oldfield, 9th wonder, DeadMau5, Franchize Boyz, Justin Lassen, Matthew Dear, Steve Duda, Mark Tinley, Doug Lazy, Peter Presta, Toby Emerson, Seismic Crew, Ripley+Jenson, Meg Hentges, Jeff Samuel, Tom Ellard, AudioJack, Full Scale/Infinity, all use FL Studio. That's not to mention newer artists like Uppermost or Troublegum, two of my favorites.
It seems that the program will take you to the top as long as you research how sound works, what vsts you're using and how to use them properly, and take the time to develop as an artist. I'm only now getting what I want, fully, from the music I'm making. It just took time, and the ability to learn about sound design and proper mastering.
It's not called the music "business" for kicks. Step up your understanding of your own product and you will reap the rewards. Cheers- Non Filtered

Keep in mind that these are famous artists that have purchased FL Studio, not artists that use FL Studio exclusively. I know for a fact that Deadmau5 has a giant modular system as well as a bunch of hardware, and I'm sure that most of these other artists listed do too. A lot of people like FL for sequencing because it's relatively straight-forward and easy to use. (Once you learn the basics.) I also agree with what you said regarding artistic development. Making dime-a-dozen beats is easy, but making something truly special takes effort.. something a lot of people these days don't feel like putting forth because we live in a society of instant gratification.

I love FL Studio and it's my favorite DAW for sure, but it's just one tool of many. I also find that tunes created and mixed entirely in FL (or any other DAW) sound way too clean and boring to me, but that's just personal taste. I greatly prefer the sound of hardware instruments mixed on an analog mixer and recorded to analog tape, or even recorded digitally. There's still a presence and liveliness that hardware imparts that can't be captured or emulated via software, no matter how many effects you have up your sleeve. People that can't tell the difference probably don't have much experience with using hardware, because to me the difference is like night and day, especially if you're not working with purely sample-based music. I'd wager that most people here on Future Producers are "hip hop" producers, which basically means that the majority of their work is sample-based.

For people like me who work on primarily synth-based music, it's a different story.

I do indeed love FL Studio, but like I said, it's only one tool. In addition to FL one also needs some good effects, VST instruments, etc. That costs money unless you get your stuff from a torrent or bootlegged from somewhere. It all comes down to your personal budget and the amount of time one is willing to invest in their art. If money and space are limited, I highly recommend FL to any aspiring producer or hobbyist. For people that are more advanced, I'd say go the hardware route for pure sonic quality, although I know that a lot of modern producers these days do everything "in the box" and don't even use traditional hardware instruments. That's all good and their choice, but my ear is very selective and I tend to gravitate towards artists that use hardware opposed to people that do everything on a computer. But then again I'm a total gear nerd.

Like I've said before, producing on a computer is "easier" than using hardware in many ways, but it's not not nearly as fun. If you can keep yourself entertained making beats on a computer, more power to you. I use FL quite a bit but I tend to get bored quickly.

you can produce an entire multi platinum album...but do this...make some tracks on it and see how far YOU get with it

you can make your shit sound good with a stick and a can if you know how to FL is a powerful tool and really has no limit you need to learn how to use it in and out many big producers have used FL such as 9th wonder (jayz productions) Lex luger (brick squad) and i forgot the names of some dudes that made the wayne drop the world beat its def possible you just need to aqquire the skills

There are particular things that bug me about FL Studio, the automation clips and playlist in general are clunky. Compare it to Cubase and it's just not friendly at all. However, there's no reason for that to affect the 'sound', just the creative process. It's all in your head.

I only use FL Studio for the step editor beat grid. I say use it at least for that, and do your heavy audio routing and processing in another DAW after you export the multi WAV's. That is unless you figure out how to do good routing and processing in FL Studio. (Something I haven't done, but maybe I should).

Last edited:
FL is as simple as a newbie needs it to be, but can be as complex as any other software out there. I've been using FL for 6 years now... Well I started using Cubase as of last year. But FL has been in arsenal since Day 1

Boy, mades hits for beyonce off FL.. hard in the paint, n BMF was made off FL.. it has potential.. I never got that much from it but some new plug ins n vsts can bulk it up

All modern DAW's are essentially the same; only the workflow is different. What DAW works best for you all depends on your style of production. Personally, I prefer hardware over software ANY day, but when I am working in a DAW I prefer FL Studio. The best thing about FL is the fact that once you buy it, you get lifetime free updates, so you never have to worry about that. FL is constantly making improvements and implementing new features with every release. The VST instruments and effects that come with it are all anyone really needs to make virtually any kind of music - if you know what you're doing. It is capable of rendering very high quality audio and will suit the needs of virtually any producer.

---------- Post added at 04:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

One thing I will mention is that if you produce electronic music (most people on here do hip-hop/etc), Ableton Live is better than FL Studio, at least in my opinion. When it comes to production, FL is my preferred choice, but if I am rocking a laptop / midi controller show, it's Ableton Live. If you like to "jam" live and really get hands-on, I think Ableton is the best.

You make the track, not the hardware/software. Just always remember that! I'd try to switch over to Ableton if I were you though. You'll go along faster.

Ultimately it doesnt matter if you use Logic, Cubase or FL Studio..they all do the same thing, its how you use them, Basshunter uses FL studio and hes has some of the biggest dance hits of the last 5 year, Afrojack and Laidback look also use it, and Luke uses manily free plug ins, Red One also uses just Logic and internal synths. Any synth with OSC will produce the same sounds, its how you treat them and what notes you sue thats the key

With the right VST plugins, kits,samples, and MIND you can get anywhere...Top producers like Lex Luger,Boi1da, Johnny Juliano, and Superstar O use FL...

It's not the DAW or the hardware, it's the mind of the producer. Your creativity. Software/hardware are tools but your mind is the instrument. You can make the same beat in FL you can in Reason, Cubase, Logic, etc. IF you know what you are doing. 9th, Boi1da, etc. have used it.

it's not the program...it's what the user using the program knows what to do with said program. been rockin FL since it was Fruity! LOL! have tried other DAWS such as Sonar, Acid, Cubase. with as much time as i spent learning FL...trying to learn anything different took away from my work flow. AND...i do concur with the statements about adding your own sounds/vsts...this just happens to be the same with any DAW. it's called...personalization! LOL!

Look at Soulja Boy... that bastard became famous with "Crank That", made using a Trial Version of FL Studio with default samples lol

Imo a sequencer doesn't make the artist. If you have the right ideas/skills you'll go far with any sequencer. Many top producers like Laidback Luke, Deadmau5, Mike Oldfield, Afrojack, Basshunter use FL Studio...

Last edited:
Back