"Grimy" Sound

Scratch n Beat

I always hear praises for producers who give instruments or synths a "grimy" sound...what is a good example of this, and what knobs do I play with in FL to get that sound?

There's a free plugin available online called 'Okatu Effect'. It gives anything you run through it that lo-fi sp1200 sound. Trust me, THIS IS WHAT YOU NEED FOR THAT GRIMEY SOUND!!! go to www.myspace.com/mosaicmovementz and check out my track 'Something Scary.' I used Okatu on the drums and the sample!

Unfoutunately the Odaku effect is no longer available as far as I know?
fx2100,Ephonic lo-fi, and mda degrade are possibly the best available options.

Odaku sounds like an emulator of the sp1200 when detuned.
FX2100 is emulating the output of an sp1200 without a detune.(my personal fav for drums, it has a sweet low pass filter)
Ephonic lo-fi is pretty wild, and can do the lo-fi'est dirtiest.grungiest sounds possible,but can also be subtle.
mda degrade is also nice for drums,and samples.

They are all very good at what they aim to do,and if your into adding grit you should google them all cause I'm too lazy tonite to post a bunch of links lol.

mda not workin

Mattman04 said:
Unfoutunately the Odaku effect is no longer available as far as I know?
fx2100,Ephonic lo-fi, and mda degrade are possibly the best available options.

Odaku sounds like an emulator of the sp1200 when detuned.
FX2100 is emulating the output of an sp1200 without a detune.(my personal fav for drums, it has a sweet low pass filter)
Ephonic lo-fi is pretty wild, and can do the lo-fi'est dirtiest.grungiest sounds possible,but can also be subtle.
mda degrade is also nice for drums,and samples.

They are all very good at what they aim to do,and if your into adding grit you should google them all cause I'm too lazy tonite to post a bunch of links lol.

yo i just got the mda pack and its not workin on my fl 6 i choose the right directory and everything can someone send me a proper version by chance

where can i get any of theses? i want sp1200 tone outa my drums really bad. i have the hyperprizm or hypersonic(not sure which name-one of the two for sure!) FX. and there is a plug-in called sonic desemator i use but i wanna see what else there is so if anyone can tell me where to find em that would be awesome! thanks

i can see the files, but i cant get them to download. i even tried to get access to the site, but it said that i cant get access. so if someone has the files for the fx2100, and sd2100. send em to me if you can! thanks alot

it might work now i just tried registering again. so maybe.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI...

Next month or so, I'll be offering a service where I'll run your samples through my SP-12 (at various levels of detunage, and through multiple filtered outputs). It will be priced reasonably.

Hahaha. Good luck with that man. I don't mean to be rude, but I wouldn't pay to have my samples run through an SP. I bet some people would though. The SP's do sound really good though when you run vinyl through them.

ianscott111 said:
Hahaha. Good luck with that man. I don't mean to be rude, but I wouldn't pay to have my samples run through an SP. I bet some people would though. The SP's do sound really good though when you run vinyl through them.

Hey it takes no work for me to post about the service, I figure I have nothing to lose by offering it, high demand or not.

Scratch n Beat said:
I always hear praises for producers who give instruments or synths a "grimy" sound...what is a good example of this, and what knobs do I play with in FL to get that sound?

just turn the grimey nob to about 83% and the gangsta nob at 65% - 99% (depending on how gangsta you want it of course!)
if you like swagger turn the swagger nob to no more than 45%... too much swagger is overkill and you'll get clowned on FP for that.

lol j/k. use some distortion, or detuning... you can figure it out. just listen to songs that have that grimey sound and figure out for yourself what makes em grimey.

Back