Good Software

KSJ

I am a beginner and I am looking for a good DAW software to create beats and remix songs. I already tried the demo for fl studio and it was kind of confusing.

fl is good just open the demo songs and look around see what eveything dose. Theirs a manual too so chexk that out. Its an ez program u just gotta know what everything dose and it will take a lil time.

Fl only runs on windows. Reason is a wicked program that works on both platforms. Reaper is good too. Logic too.

I wouldn't get an mpc yet since ur starting get ur feet wet with software. If u know someone with an mpc or if theirs a music store near u try it out.

Also if u go mpc ull have to buy a lot more ish to use it unless ur just gonna sample

How much are you willing to spend is the biggest question. Id come right out and say get Ableton Live. Or Reaper if u are short on cash. there are a million free programs out there to try to get ur feet wet with.

How much are you willing to spend is the biggest question. Id come right out and say get Ableton Live. Or Reaper if u are short on cash. there are a million free programs out there to try to get ur feet wet with.

I'm not short on cash and I'm willing to get a good quality program.

Last edited:
I'm not short on cash and I'm willing to get a good quality program.

In that case by FL8. And get you some good as plugins and keyboard samples, like Korg, and Fantom banks....And your good to go.

Really wont be that expensive.

Beat creation and REMIX I would say Ableton. Beat creation alone, Reason and FL Studio. But Ableton is the jam for remixing.

I like making tracks in ProTools 8 now.

Ugh. I have still yet to decide on what software to get :cry:. I am also wondering kind of equipment I should get.

If you're on a Mac and low on cash, get Logic Express. it will only set you back $199. Then when your ready and have more money upgrade to Logic Pro 8 (Logic Studio) for about another $299.

Also, Pro Tools LE is not that expensive (under $300). Personally though, I think Logic is the sh*t. Combine that with Ableton Live 8 - forget about it.

If you're on a Mac and low on cash, get Logic Express. it will only set you back $199. Then when your ready and have more money upgrade to Logic Pro 8 (Logic Studio) for about another $299.

Also, Pro Tools LE is not that expensive (under $300). Personally though, I think Logic is the sh*t. Combine that with Ableton Live 8 - forget about it.

So I should get both the Logic and the Ableton? I have 1,000 to spend. Also what equipments do you guys recommend or should I post that in a different section?

Last edited:
If you want to make beats, I suggest a drum pad controller. This is the one that I use:

Akai%20MPD32.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips guys! :D

One last question...

What is a good website for tutorials on using Ableton? I want to get down all the basics.

Live also comes with a superb manual and a bunch of built-in tutorials that teach you the basic concepts.

Back