Fruity Loops VS MPC

J

jasons61

Alrite yall i want this post to end all the hate on fruity loops and the MPC just because they like the other one better. What do you think is better, plz dont post on this if you havn't experienced both Fruity Loops and an MPC.

When you reply dont just say fruity or an MPC is better say why it is.

Oh nearly forgot 2 put my opinion, having experienced both I preffer Fruity Loops because its cheaper, free life time updates on it, lots of diffrent plugins which can be extended by VST etc. and lastly with the right samples it CAN produce great loops.

Dont get me wrong though cos the MPC is tight I just preffer FL. Lookin forward to seein these posts. Jay ;) :hello:

Ok my opinion,

Having used both FL and MPC, I prefer the MPC, because I like actually inputting drum programs in "realtime" with the pads rather than clicking a mouse on a grid and obviously for the MPC's famous "swing". Also I feel the less then stellar output quality of Fruity Loops lets it down somewhat. Another point is that I like being able to take my MPC with me to other studios to lay tracks down, MUCH easier/ more convenient than carrying my PC with me. Well that's my opinion.

yo I aint used the MPC but I have the Roland sp808.

I have alos used FruityLoops (which I still do). I have to say tho, a sampler is alot better it can do alot more and already said it can go anywhere with you.
However, I use fruuityloops and as you said, with the right samples it definatly CAN produce tight drum tracks, no doubt. For the last 2months all my drums have been programmed using fruity. Anyone who says it cant produce good drum tracks obvioulsy either hasnt used it, or doesnt know enough to customise to their own need.

I have made beats on the sp808 and on my pc (using FruityLoops amoung others) and Ive played them to people and they dont tell the difference. And I didnt just play them to any old Joe. I played them to a Dj/Producer..But that doesnt mean Fruity should be the be all and end all. You should vary your techniques in order to create different effects and feels to your tracks.

I know you said the MPC so dont b-tch at me somwot.

lol kewl id go crazy also clicking for my sounds I just use my midi keyboard to trigger them, and also why not just save your loops made in fruity loops to a disk then load them up on the other pc just an idea.

Another point I have to admit the MPC is easier to work with, having all the knobs and pads in real life right there which is easier access than using your mouse to tweak.

Well I have just bought an MPC should come through in about 2 weeks got it for £400 so i didnt miss out on dat simply because its more proffesional ;)

Oh and ..... is the SP 808 good for Hip Hop I was looking at it the other day looks a bit basic to me but dropa line HOLLA!

:hello:

Man anything is good for hiphop. Just because people like Dre etc used/use and MPC dont mean everyone should/does..you aint gone be very original if your constantly copying stuff off the already rich and famous...

anyhow, yeah the sp808 is cool. It has alot of presets which can be customised to suite your need. Its very easy and fast to use. And the newest version also has a CDRW built in! It costs about the same as you paid for your MPC..out of FreeAds or somit.

It has a very nice sound to it. You should have gone to a Roland display store and played with it for a while. You never know you could have bought the sp808 instead of your MPC.:rolleyes:

(Man anything is good for hiphop. Just because people like Dre etc used/use and MPC dont mean everyone should/does)

totally disagree. You gotta have the right equipment to make the specfic music that you need. And the MPC 2000 is like 20 times better than fruity loops even though FL is cheaper. With an MPC you can do a lot more but the bad thing is that it has no sounds that comes in it but so what, just import sounds from either synth or just import copyright free sounds, like cut out your favourite part of the beat.
lates
Rob

I didnt mean Fruity loops is better than the MPC...f-ck no!
I just ment that just because some famous people use the MPC doesnt mean everyone should. Im talking samplers here...Like I use the Roland sp808 . I could have got the MPC but I didnt want to copy anyone in anything.

Im just saying its best to be totally original cuz otherwise you wont make it. original and good tho :rolleyes:

thadon41 said:
Like I use the Roland sp808 . I could have got the MPC but I didnt want to copy anyone in anything.

Im just saying its best to be totally original cuz otherwise you wont make it. original and good tho :rolleyes:

So are you assuming noone else uses the sp-808?

Originality doesn't come from your choice of gear, but from how you choose to use it, and how you get your ideas to come out of it.

Yes, anything is good for hip-hop. Well, almost anything... I mean a ukelele on it's own just wouldn't cut it... lol

Peace.

Last edited:
lol I get your point. But whenever I used to ask someone about gear for hiphop, they always said MPC. Then they go on about how the pros use them etc etc. I got the sp808 becaue its not as popular as the MPC. simple as.Also I obvioulsy liked it too :rolleyes:

lol... I liked the idea of the sp-808... I was almost foaming at the mouth when Roland first announced it, but then I found it was too limiting for my purposes, so I went with the MPC 3000.

yo this ain't just battle between MPC and FruityLoops
This is battle between software and hardware music creation equipment.Software ain't got better quality yet,but it's really close to defeat the hardware.(remember what i told you)In few years (2-5)hardware's gonna be out.Can you remember what was FL like 3 years ago and what it is now.What's gonna happen in next few years..you'll see...you'll just need MIDI keyboard connected to your PC.PCs are gonna replace synths,samplers,drummachines and recorders just like they replaced typingmachines and audio cassetes.We can't skip future...

Now i ma tell you what i use for my music

Sound Forge-SAMPLING

FruityLoops-SEQUENCING/DRUMMACHINE

GoldWave-RECORDING

I won't tell you the tip how to import sr-808,tr-808,MPC,S5000....and many other drummachine sound fonts in your FL.I can buy AKAI samples CD and seq it on FL....so why would i give my money for hardware???!!!!
:D

Do you know what I wish for? I wish that they make a computer just for music production! lol. Like make different genres.....hip hop, dance, rock so on and so forth. Anyway I use cool edit for the sampling and FL for the squencing, but I am running out of samples and I need more. I just sampled a snare from a rapper's song but I'm not going to tell. I don't plan to use it but I could actually get away with it and not get caught using it in my songs.

They do make computers that are made for JUST music production. Check computer music magazine etc.
Also, if you have FruityLoops why would you bother sampling something like a snare to use?

And I tell you, you would pay for hardware because nobody will take you serioulsy knowing that you use FruityLoops ....I know this!...:D

You kill me.

Are you telling me i have to have an MPC to find one new beat style so I can flood the radio with the same sounds and same beat over and over again.
( Neptunes)
Do I need an MPC to create the timb beat he made for the Garnett commercial. No.

I guess profesional hip hop music can not be created by a live band either.

It's not the tool it's the producer.
Have any of you heard the cover of one of Timbs beats in FL.

If you're using just the sound that are included with FL you will be disapointed.
But if you and I sample the same sounds. What more can you really do with an MPC that I can't with FL.

What can I do with my Mo Phatt that you can't with an MPC.

Question
What sounds come with the MPC?
None. So any songs you create must have the sounds imported to the machine.

I had the chance to purchase an MPC but I stuck with FL and purchased a Mo Phatt and new monitors.

I realized that it's not the tool it's me.
I also realized it does not matter what equipment you
use to have to be taken seriously.

You MPC guys are gonna wet your pants when someone uses FL and creates a hit record.
You're gonna realize that it's not the equipment.
You actually need a litte talent.
I personally have nothing against MPC users.
I plan on buying 1 when the money is right.
But for you to tell somone they need an mpc or to be taken seriously you need an MPC is outright Ludacris.

I am currently working on two major projects with FL.
One is strictly hip hop and the other is a compilation of Soul /Rnb/Jazz with Spoken Word / and Hip hop.
Yes this type of music can be created using FL.

We will start hitting all Philly hot spots in May.
I let a friend of mine who is best buds with a Sony VP.
Triton owner / MPC owner.
Hear two tracks from each of the projects.
They loved them. He is waiting for us to finish.
I played all the instruments with my keyboard and the tracks straight in to FL. I programmed the drums in FL. Then Recorded the vocals in Sonar.

I posted this same question a couple of months ago. and started a world war. Sorry.
But it showed me that the MPC is not the end all be all.
It's not the only way to make hip hop.
It not the only sound that is professional.
Due to the fact it actually has no sounds and can only
manipulate the sounds imported.

I am in the process of building up the support in the streets.
My goal is not to be signed but to find a steady following and sell 5000 to 10000 per CD I release.
Steady money Steady Mobin.

This sounds like the debate in the early nineties.
Do you use a real mixer or a software version.
Record to Dat or Adat or a computer and Hard disk recording.
Do you know you can record to your vcr also.
And beleive it or not some hiphop albums were recorded on 4tracks and Dr ryhtm machines.

Now every studio has some sort of software assisting in there recording and Mastering.
Pro Tools/Logic/Sonar.

here is a little secret. The MPC is a computer.
In the future someone will create a software version of the MPC. And connect the new USB/Midi drum pad. It's not that hard.

pcs are up to hardware standard, what u think pro tools is doing in professional studios. if u use pro tools, the sound will have to run thro a soundcard/breakout box onto a pc then thro the speakers.

the same with cubase and audio logix, these are of professional sound quality.

as for FL, it does sound a bit dull to me. but i'm gonna invest in some studio monitors soon so i'll really be able to tell.

Totally agree, one day someone is going to get out there with software and the whole swing is gonna roll to computers. Someone just gotta break the ice. I would still like to have an MPC though.

You got one for 400 franks? What is that in american dollars. I would pay 400 for an mpc, tell me tell me tell me!!!! I want one bad.

I have been maken beats with fruity for a while now, made some for some of the local rappers down here in new orleans. They dont know that I made it with FL it sounds profressional. I dont think the problem with software is the quality, its just the work. Im getten burnt out on software. I want to experience new things.

Once I get the mpc and if I dont see any difference im gonna send it back for a refund for sure.

If you got software and it wets your lips, then stick with it dogs. Dont let people tell you that just cause you use fl that you arnt gonna get your music hurd.

Music is hurd by the ears, it dosnt know if you use software or hardware, it only knows what it likes, so if you can satisfy your ears with it, why not other peoples ears.

Im gonna be posten my beats i made with fruity up soon so the people can hear what real beats is, yall cant even touch this fruity master! haha

make different genres hardware

here is a little secret. The MPC is a computer.
In the future someone will create a software version of the MPC. And connect the new USB/Midi drum pad. It's not that hard. [/B][/QUOTE]

I think they should make a really good synth, then release different cards for different genres like hip hop, rock etc. Or make a synth for different genres, like a synh for hip hop, a synth for rock, etc.

No sh-t! Yall be acting like noone knew the mpc was a computer....pahahahaha

wanna hear some omre top secret sh-t?

eminem is white!!!!..OMG but dont tell anyone, this is between us ok? ..

:rolleyes:

akai r makin some software, but its nothin special at the moment.

carillon computers are made specifically for music. they even are made in rack form.

EMINEM IS WHITE!?! :eek:

you can make any genre with any piece of equipment if you have atleast an ounce of creativity. some equipment is geared toward certain genres but that also makes it a little less creative. I make house, hip-hop and experimental stuff all on just an MPC.

as far as, is FL better? not for me. it may be for someone else. everyone is different.

Back