FL Studio playing wrong notes

crmixerman

To start, I am relatively new to using FL Studio. I have a Kurzweil PC88mx keyboard controller. I have done a factory reset to make sure it wasn't something messed up on it. I have it connected to my PC using a USB cable via an M-Audio UNO MIDI to USB adapter. In Reason and Cubase, as well as playing only on the controller itself, the notes are fine. I play middle C and hear middle C, confirmed with a tuner and get 262 Hz. In Reason and Cubase, the note is recorded as a C and plays back as a C. I will continue in my example with "C".

-Playing just with the PC88mx and speakers, I play C and get 262 Hz.

-Playing the PC88mx into FL Studio (fresh install on a new PC), I press C on the PC88mx, it lights up the "C" key on the channel settings of the instrument (pianos, guitars, synths, VSTs, many others). But, the note actually heard coming out of my computer speakers is a sharp C#/Db at 284 Hz. If I try to play with the PC's keyboard or draw the notes in the piano roll with what I want, I "hear" notes that are slightly higher than a half-step up. So, if I play F G A on the controller, the sound I actually hear through FL Studio is a sharp F# G# A# instead.

-I do not have this issue in Reason or Cubase.

Also, the same things happens if I create a song purely in FL Studio (not using the PC88mx) by creating some patterns with the standard kick/clap/hat/snare to get a base rhythm, then add in something such as a DX10 for actual notes, and put it all together in a song on the playlist. If I use either the PC88mx (via MIDI) or manually drag and drop notes (let's say F G A) on the piano roll, FL Studio shows them as a F G A, and you think everything is OK. But, when you actually listen to it, either by placing the notes in the piano roll or playing the PC88mx, or when you play it in pattern or song mode, everything is shift up a little more than a half-step, so you hear a sharp F# G# A# instead.

To add to this, if I export it to a wav or mp3, everything is slowed down but the notes are at least correct, just slightly sharper than what it should be. In one example, if I set the tempo to 116, FL Studio plays it at that tempo. But, the exported wav/mp3 file is about 10%-20% slower. Yes, I've tried the set init at the beginning of the song for the tempo, but doesn't help.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Fix is simple from where I stand - uninstall and reinstall fl, including any stock files.

Then dig deep in your project files for any fixed settings on the Pitch Bend, probably in the MIDI input filter settings and MIDI output filter settings. these should be returned to 64 (the centerpoint). Save after making these changes.

Step 1 is to remove the change that has been made to the initProject file loaded at startup - you could simply kill that file, but there is no telling where else these changes have been made, so a full reinstall is my preferred way forward.

No clue what happened. I did an uninstall, deleted the folder FL Studio was installed in, reinstalled, and works perfectly now. Notes play correctly, exports export at the correct tempo and pitch. Thanks!

Idk whats up with Fl studio but it has alot of bugs :/ i use it and love it but sometimes i just want to through my computer through my window.

Back