FL 9 compared to Reason 4

reason has certain advantages but it also has disadvantages which you seem unwilling to see. the main problem being that it is a closed system and it cannot support vsts. if you want to rewire you can, i'm rewiring right now, but when you rewire you lose a lot of what makes reason unique in the first place. you basically relegate it the position of sound module.[/QUOTE]

I complete agree with this statement Seriously. I just like Closed system personaly like Apple vs. Pc G1 Vs. Iphone. I got the G1, I love it and at 1 point i thought it was better than an Iphone because Iphone was closed and G1 was open source and 90% of G1 apps was 4 free. BUt tons of G1 apps would freeze and crash and reqire updates daily. while the Iphone runs smooth without flaws and better apps. sure u loose customability but i rahter have Quality than tons problems like crashing and stuff Not saying Fl crash all the time cause it dont. Poropellerhead Reminds me of mac, they are unique set apart knowing that they will never out beat the huge market. or mac never will beat Pc in sales but willing to care about they own way fo doing things instead of following the crowd, by coming up with revolutionary Inventions and orignal way of doing music. Propellerhead Created The combinator thats is so important to have as a music producer. I think its powerful when i buy our download a refill for free that the sound is extremeley amazing then i open the combinator up and see that they used the devices in reason to creat somthing crazy like a Vst. thats crazy a program thats has everything u need to create any sound or anything. Thats just me personaly, Thats why i always say why buy a program so it can be a host for vst when u can get a program thats doenst make u need a vst. or if u want u can rewire to have vst?

the same argument could be a counter argument....

reason is standalone...u dont need any vsts...and u can just use refills(or learn to program)....there are plents of free refills on teh propellerhead site in addition to other professional and 3rd party refills......it has every kind of synth included...so there isnt really a need for vsts...and the effects can produce progfessional results as evidenced by people like toomp, dj babu, and dj khalil...

u could say that it doesnt have recording capabilities...and there really wouldnt be a counterargument to that other than get record...

what the hell are we even arguing here?

reason and record is 550.

flstudio producer edition is 200. that leaves you 300 to get some nice plugs and whatever free ones you want.

and btw reason does not have every sort of synth.

you can use flstudio standalone if you want too. just because something is expandable does not mean it can't be used standalone. the problem with reason is that it isn't expandable and HAS TO BE used standalone.

reason has certain advantages but it also has disadvantages which you seem unwilling to see. the main problem being that it is a closed system and it cannot support vsts. if you want to rewire you can, i'm rewiring right now, but when you rewire you lose a lot of what makes reason unique in the first place. you basically relegate it the position of sound module.[/QUOTE]

Are u a preset guy or do u make ur own sound? because vst's are awsome but with reason I dont think u need them unless you used all they presets on the synth they got, and said man i need more sound, when they are right there infront of ur face. all u gotta do is program easy as that or get refills then tweak with them. thats why i say reason is so professional cause it forces u to creat ur own sound its not one sound that the THOR cant create come on man. i'm not going to act like reason is all world but at the same time it is. Fl does 70% of the stuff for u, while for an example Reason makes you route each and every drum chanelle to the mixer chanels while other programs auto do that wich is nothing wrong but show u reason gives u full control of ur sound thats all i'm saying the dif between the 2.

Last edited:
This agrument will go on until the end of time.
My advice, if you are starting out you can go with FL Studio or Reason. It doesn't matter, you're just starting out right? Eventually, you will become curious about the other and purchase it. Then once you know have a feel for both, you'll pick your weapon of choice.

I used FL Studio from version 2 all the way to version 9. I've used Reason from version 2 up to 4. They can both do exactly the same thing, just maybe different ways from point A to point B in either software suite.

FL Studio 9 Signature edition with the MAXX bundle (Which you WILL want if you want good sounds out the box) Costs $670 total, and Reason 4 out the box costs 399. So FL Studio is about 270 bucks pricier to compare with reason. With the plugins included in the MAXX bundle you can at least hold off on buying any third party VSTs for a while.

Reason doesn't need any additional plugins, but you can spring for FL first, and once you get reason, rewire them. OR go the other way around, maybe hold off on buying the MAXX bundle and save 300+ bucks. If you use reason, you absolutely need a keyboard. FL Studio really doesn't need one, but you can use one with it if you prefer. Depends on your production style.

Both of the software packages have their pros and cons, and until you've fooled around with them both extensively, you won't be able to make a clear decision on which you prefer.

I say, just go "eenie meenie miney moe" and pick one, hone your sound, get the other and try to do tracks in both until people can't tell which one you use.

Last edited:
yes i like to tweak my sounds. i like thor, but mainly because i'm used to it, imo the best synth in reason is the malstrom which is god damn awesome.

there are much more powerful synths out there than thor. each synth is different. they are not the same. sure you can make most synths do most things, but some synths are better at doing other things than others.

in terms of synthesis i really like reason as it has 3 solid synths and i learned them. it thought me a lot. so in that respect i think that reason can be a great learning tool. but it is not the be all and end all. some of the effects aren't that great because they've been in the program since it started. although i think propellerheads are great and have been ahead of their time with their products (ffs rebirth almost stacks up against the best vst alternative today) they can't be "top-of-the-line" forever.

but as better vsts are developed and released you can't use them in reason. if you use a daw that does support plugins, like flstudio, then you can take advantage of the advances in technology.

Reason doesn't need any additional plugins, but you can spring for FL first, and once you get reason, rewire them. OR go the other way around, maybe hold off on buying the MAXX bundle and save 300+ bucks. If you use reason, you absolutely need a keyboard. FL Studio really doesn't need one, but you can use one with it if you prefer. Depends on your production style.
Mayhem.

The fact you dont need a keyboard make it less professional than Reason. That said it all!!! BUt all in alll i Agree with Mayhem just take his advise nake a choice and make music.

Last edited:
I prefer a closed system that does what I need it to do with no hassle like most mpc user will not switch because its stable does what it needs to do very well, for me I prefer the sequencer over fruitykoops for one I don't like fruity loops because is not osx compatible also I don't have a need for vsts more options doesn't always mean better have the options that you have you probably won't use its like the iphone most people don't even use all the features it has

yes i like to tweak my sounds. i like thor, but mainly because i'm used to it, imo the best synth in reason is the malstrom which is god damn awesome.

LOL i know most people are sleeping Big time on the Malstrom I just started to use it more and I love the thing it prolly is the best at least for me right now.. Completly agree with u on this thread. Its tru about synths.

@Level Seven: Just because FL Studio doesn't need a keyboard doesn't make it less professional. Logic on the Mac has a software keyboard as well, and that is the most professional DAW out there in my opinion. I think not needing a keyboard just makes it more portable and easy to use on-the-go.

I have Reason 4, FL Studio 9 and Logic Pro 9 and I go between them all pretty often. I can make the exact same beat in all of them, but I tend to do different things in each.

KidNepro's MPC Millenieum 1-3 Drum Series

Do anyone know anything about the quality of their drum kits ? other than the inflated price tag.

Stock drumkits are weak in every software package. Dig for breakloops and chop them up, and layer them with some 808 or 909's. And learn to EQ.

i prefer reason over most vsts with the combinator alone i can replicate 90% of the synths that are on vsts bottom line its not that hard. the problem is people are scared to experiment that wants the sound just handed to them and that's one of the many reason music is at its lowest point this days all this software and all these features yet everybody music sounds the same to me. at least 50% of the features that are in half of the daw and software people don't use with reason its' not alot of features but believe i know every feature in reason with my eyes closed. and record is pretty much the same.

Fruity loops is a great program but in my opinion the only thing that makes FL really good is the VST's you have which is going to cost more money Reason is little more complicated but the sounds and music production quality is higher but it has a some what harder learning curve I for one use Fruity loops my brother uses Reason 4 it really just depends on you make fire with what ever

Last edited:
i prefer reason over most vsts with the combinator alone i can replicate 90% of the synths that are on vsts bottom line its not that hard. the problem is people are scared to experiment that wants the sound just handed to them and that's one of the many reason music is at its lowest point this days all this software and all these features yet everybody music sounds the same to me. at least 50% of the features that are in half of the daw and software people don't use with reason its' not alot of features but believe i know every feature in reason with my eyes closed. and record is pretty much the same.

Exactly....you have to have the right patches and sounds in Reason and you'll be astonished what high quality tracks you can make.
Another really big issue is the mixing of your beat....and to be honest for me there is no better way than mixing in Reason 4 !

OK look...if you wanna be taken serious in the industry you gotta use Reason !

that might start a riot but I totally agree..even tho you still have to make hot beats no matter what you use for anybody to take you serious,most of hip hop see FL as a joke til you prove them wrong (if you can)..FL is a great tool to get started out on cuz I don't suggest anybody thas never made a beat before to go buy reason...get your experience with FL and graduate to reason

To EVERY one of you Reason zealots that swear NNXT is more "Professional" I want you to read this and take this reality check-up:

Let's say you have a session with one of your MPC2000 wielding bretheren and he has some loops or drum kits that you want to get your hands on. Which piece of software would you rather have, Reason or FL Studio?

The answer: FL Studio.

Why? Because FL Studio's DirectWave sampler READS MPC 2000 samples and programs! Yep, all those mpc kits you can buy online can be used -natively- in FL Studio. Reason??? Nope, can't be done.

Question 2: Your buddy has Logic and has some nice patchbanks and dope loops he chopped up and is using in ESX24. You want to use them too, which would be the better app to have, Reason or FL Studio?

Answer: FL Studio.

Again, Directwave can import ESX format samples and programs directly, unlike NNXT, which simply can't do it.

Question 3: You're in a session in a REAL studio with a seasoned engineer. You're working on a track that has some old Stevie Wonder song as it's basis, but the timing on a particular piano riff is a tad off. There's an identical couple of bars you can sample, but it doesn't have that piano on it. The engineer says "Yeah, Stevie used a Kurzweil K2000 on that track with the CP70 set from the Key Solutions library. We have a copy of it in that drawer over there..."

Which would you rather have during that session?

Answer: FL Studio.

Directwave can import and use Kurzweil programs. These programs have been used by the likes of Phil Collins, Peter Gabriel and many other heavyweight musicians. NNXT??? Nope. Not today or ever.

I can keep going, but really, why? Unless you're just living in denial, you simply can't ignore Directwave's superiority over NNXT when it comes to sheer size of their libraries. Hell, DW even does a better job of Soundfont imports as NNXT doesn't always get it right, but DW does every time.

One of you made mention that Reason has 3 good synths. FL Studio 9 Signature (the one for $299) hands you WAY more than that. Sytrus, Ogun, Synthmaker, Simsynth Live, Granuliser, Wasp and Wasp XT... There's a large list of stuff to use right out of the box (I've even heard some amazing stuff done with that lil 3XOSC plugin!), far more than Reason has to offer. I've used the reason 4 demo, and it's cool, but Thor was the only interesting thing there... Until I used Synthmaker. There's no competition here: Synthmaker by a landslide.

Trust me, I had been a Reason user from 1 to 3, and a FL user from 3.x to 9 (I skipped 8 though). FL, right now, is a much more well rounded product than Reason.

both fl studio and reason has pros and cons...

to the OP just pick one and if you make music long enough you will more than likely purchase the other along with 2 to 3 other DAWs...

logic7 i agree with where you're coming from but i think you've used a couple of bad, and very biased, examples.

in regards to the synths in flstudio compared to the synths in reason i also think you were a little bit biased. the majority of people will not be able to utilise something like synthmaker near it's full capabilities. so i do think that comparison was rather unfair.

in regards to synths i would personally rather have the subtractor, malstrom and thor in flstudio than the synths it already offers. i believe the reason synths to be of better quality, especially thor and the malstrom. comparing thor to synthmaker is like comparing apples and oranges.

as i've said throughout this thread flstudio's main advantage over reason is the ability to support plugins. but with each update flstudio is getting more and more stuff added to their kit as standard, and imageline do update a lot more frequently than propellerheads...

Back