FL 9 compared to Reason 4

Not really the music you hear on radio, tv, cd's comercials, are produced by the producers that started off with hardware. Thats all the producer now days and back then started off with. I didn't, I dont use hardware i use Reason +Record but now i know how to use hardware cause of the program. they are not teaching Reason in college to studio engineers and music producer for nothing. If you use a program like FL you will learn how to make music and all, but only on that program. Thats okay if u just doing for fun. But if u wanna do it and be big make money, its not. some one hire you to produce they album and u pull out FL on you pc they going to be thats it?

i'm sorry but i didn't understand your post fully.

i said that it would be stupid for somebody starting off now to go the hardware route.

i love reason but remember it's a closed system. closed system. by that definition flstudio is more powerful as it can use vsts. case closed if you want to get technical about it.

in reality though it all comes down to personal preference. although flstudio is the more versatile program.

ps i use reason, not flstudio.

i said that it would be stupid for somebody starting off now to go the hardware route.

i love reason but remember it's a closed system. closed system. by that definition flstudio is more powerful as it can use vsts. case closed if you want to get technical about it.

in reality though it all comes down to personal preference. although flstudio is the more versatile program.

The reason why Reason is more powerful is cause it is a closed sytem. Vst's VS. Refills FL need 3rd party companies to make FL even woth the time? you cant use more than 2 Vst's at the same time without keeping its full proformance. Fl is a great beat maker its good. But when you compare the 2 Reason is a step up because its a closed program with infinite possibilities. The devices on Reason been around since 1999 and still Fl has nothing like thr dr. Rex, or nn-xt these are old device that was ahead of they time. we are talking about million dollar producers using this "Closed" program. Usher, Black eyed pease music director, Gwinn stephonie(live), marlyn manson, korn(live), beatsie boyz dj, Dr. Dre staff producer(DJ Kahlil), TI's Producer DJ Toomp and many more. just cause they use it dont mean everbody els going to make good music, but it shows that they willl not use somthing that has limitation just because they dont have vst's because a real producer makes they own sound from they product software or hardware.....

Ps I got fL studios dont use it just take sound.

fl studio help me started out and get the concept of producing in the whole 9, but without 3rd party plug ins i would say
reason 4 is kinda more complex but yet helps you "mature" more as a producer as far as sound designing,, realtime seqenceing. plus it comes with ight sounds.

i switch from FL> to reason to try and master something new. after this im moving stright to daw for producing plottin on cubase 5!

you sound exactly like me...i did my thing with fl first...currently with reason..but i want an all in one program and cubase 5 or pro tools 8 le is on my radar...probably will go with cubase 5 ive heard it has good sound quality..

to the OP...

first...figure out what YOU want your DAW to do...then it will be easier to decide which to pick...fl studio is great but i just dont like telling people i use fl studio lol thats just me but guys like johnny juliano and boi 1da are killing it with fl producing for drake wiz khalifa gucci clipse etc....

yes i also use reason its more like a "training grounds" for producing it is very capabale dj khalil uses it and dj toomp but reason feels limited to me being a closed systme i want my freedom to use vsts as i please lol and oh yeah record audio..and oh yeah all in ONE daw...

you just have to try things out...i tried to go back to fl because its cheap but dammit i just didnt feel right using it...

yes i also use reason its more like a "training grounds" for producing its is very capabale dj khalil uses it and dj toomp but reason feels limited to me being a closed systme i want my freedom to use vsts as i please lol and oh yeah record audio..and oh yeah all in ONE daw...

reason kind of feels like a "hip hop beatmaker in a box" thingy not a full production software studio.....fl is more of a full studio but it just looks so cheesy...plus knowing that the FL stands for FRUITY LOOPS just doesnt stroke my ego well lol...i mean cmon man

you just have to try things out...i tried to go back to fl because its cheap but dammit i just didnt feel right using it...

like i said before though you CAN make big money beats on fl if you want

my thing is,why would I buy FL knowing that I probably am going to have to purchase VSTs or d/l free ones to really get a professional sound ? why wouldn't I buy reason which is a self contained powerhouse capable of getting any sound I need? reason's mixer along with all the effects and process devices work just as well as any VST..

The reason why Reason is more powerful is cause it is a closed sytem.

That's the first time I've ever heard that.

Vst's VS. Refills FL need 3rd party companies to make FL even woth the time?

Not true. FL has a handful of synths, internal recording, far more effects than Reason, beat manipulation beyond anything else. Sample player, Edison. It's a beast.

Without buying anything else you can do plenty in FL, straight out the box. A lot of things you can't do in Reason unless you buy another program, like FL.

you cant use more than 2 Vst's at the same time without keeping its full proformance.

Record's demo songs are interestingly using more CPU than FL's demo tune on my computer. Reason is very efficient, but so is FL, considering that it does so much more than Reason.

Fl is a great beat maker its good. But when you compare the 2 Reason is a step up because its a closed program with infinite possibilities.

If it's closed then how can it have infinite possibilities?

The devices on Reason been around since 1999 and still Fl has nothing like thr dr. Rex, or nn-xt these are old device that was ahead of they time.

Wrong again. Dr Rex was a joke when it came out. At that time FL was at version 3, it had internal beatslicing I believe, and came certainly came with zero-x beatslicer. It was way ahead of it's time. Meanwhile, you needed to buy Recycle if you wanted to get close to that kind of power with Reason. Even now, Reason still can't do internal beatslicing. FL is arguably the very best beatslicer of any sequencer.

NN-XT is an OK sampler. By now it is ancient. FL has a built in sampler player. I don't know how they stack up against each other, but neither are comparable to the best VST samplers. FL can at least access those. Reason can't.

we are talking about million dollar producers using this "Closed" program.

The same "million dollar" producers can do good things with any tools you put in front of them.

I think Reason is more powerful from every angle personally.
From a CPU resource point of view.. I find it much easier on your computer if you can create most of your production in Reason. It has great mastering tools once you learn how to use them... and you can do almost ANYthing in Reason. My only gripe is I haven't been able to find a good Brass Refill anywhere. But it's great b/c you can just pop in 3-4 NN-XTs and have a full sounding arrangement, without needing to navigate 3-4 CPU hungry VSTs. Also I find the midi sequencer is much easier to use than FL and DAWs.

You can also pop in 3-4 DirectWave's and have a full sounding arrangement.

And, if you were using FL, you wouldn't have a problem finding a good Brass sampleset because DirectWave reads the following programs:

AKAI AKP (S5/6K,Z4,Z8)
Battery (Version 1, 2 & 3 banks)
DWP (DirectWave Program, native format)
EXS24
Giga
Kontakt / Kontakt 2
Kurzweil (off DOS disk)
MPC (off DOS disk, not 1000/2500/500 series)
Reason NN-XT (any association with a Refill can't be loaded)
Recycle
SoundFont2
SFZ

Now... NNXT can't do that... can it. But wait... You can now load any of the highly acclaimed KURZWEIL LIBRARIES!!!! Kurzweil??? With FL, you will NEVER... EVER... EVA-EVA-EVAH have a problem finding a good sample set to use.

Personally I use Reason and rewire it to a DAW. I do most of the beat in Reason, and outsource some of the sounds to VSTs if they can do a job than my Reason instrument can. For example, I use RealStrat and Real Guitar b/c you can do sooooo much more w/ guitars (strumming, power chords, octaves, etc). Sounds more like the real thing than any Reason guitar b/c of how you can play it (not the actual sound). Sure you can strum in Reason... but you have to play it on the piano as such to get that feel... too much work.

and if you were using FL, you could simply load RealStrat directly into the app without having to run another DAW, draining your CPU resources.

To answer your question, it's a matter of your taste. They can do the same things... just in different ways really.
If it were an earlier version of FL i'd tell you that it's only good for drums and nothing else, Reason is better hands down.... but that's not the case anymore. They are both excellent programs. The only thing is noticed is that people who want to be "musical" usually gravitate to Reason, and people who are sample based, grimey hip-hop seem to gravitate to FL. I personally am Hip-Hop, but i'm a more "musical" hip-hop, so i love reason. But i only have FL b/c you can really do some cool stuff w/ drums, and quickly too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21DBG17pDJE

^^^ musical cats use FL too.

Last edited:
mmh...Just go for whatever u like. it dont matter what software u are using cuz i have ever used both of them and they kinda the same.
all what matters is how creative u are....n u can make same sounds of same quality in both programs.
But i myself am stuck on cubase4 and i recently bought cubase 5, its great.

if u wanna save money buy fl.....if u dont buy reason n u will be a pro.
but both r good programs for the start.

anyone that is talking about radio and lack of FL is sadly mistaken...in all other genres of music, FL is pretty highly respected. A LOT of dance, trance, electronic, pop, reggaeton, and tv/movie scores are done in FL. in those genres the stigma isnt nearly as bad and those genres take just as much talent to get done right. even as far as hiphop/rnb goes, a lot of your favorite artists with singles are being produced by FL users nowadays. Drake's main producer Boi 1da is an FL user, Wale's main producers Best Kept Secret rock FL, Yung Berg's & Tyga's Producers rock FL, Polow's Surf Club does, and the list goes on. Does that mean you should drop reason for FL or that Reason is more pro? Nope! Use what inspires you, dont let what other's placements and their equipment dictate what you use. beats and how they're made is the last thing these artists care about right now. the SONGS matter. the game is oversaturated with folks who have hot beats, if you cant write or put together a hot song with someone, it wont matter how much you spent on gear.

Last edited:
^
you said it. other genres don't really have the same view of flstudio as hip-hop net producers do. i say net producers because nobody in the real world cares about this sort of stuff.

The reason why Reason is more powerful is cause it is a closed sytem. Vst's VS. Refills FL need 3rd party companies to make FL even woth the time? you cant use more than 2 Vst's at the same time without keeping its full proformance. Fl is a great beat maker its good. But when you compare the 2 Reason is a step up because its a closed program with infinite possibilities. The devices on Reason been around since 1999 and still Fl has nothing like thr dr. Rex, or nn-xt these are old device that was ahead of they time. we are talking about million dollar producers using this "Closed" program. Usher, Black eyed pease music director, Gwinn stephonie(live), marlyn manson, korn(live), beatsie boyz dj, Dr. Dre staff producer(DJ Kahlil), TI's Producer DJ Toomp and many more. just cause they use it dont mean everbody els going to make good music, but it shows that they willl not use somthing that has limitation just because they dont have vst's because a real producer makes they own sound from they product software or hardware.....

Ps I got fL studios dont use it just take sound.

yeah some "million dollar producers" use reason (how does that prove it is technically superior to flstudio i don't know...) but remember all your favourite hip-hop tracks from the 90's were made on hardware samplers that have a feature set that is pathetic compared to what is seen as standard in software nowadays.

there is no problem with either flstudio or reason. if somebody had come in here saying how reason was crap and how flstudio was godly i would disagree with them as well.

both tools are very capable of producing professional sounding music.

BUT, flstudio has a certain advantage because it supports plugins. something that reason does not. i believe the strength in reason is the sum of it's parts. as software becomes more and more complex and develops faster and faster we are being treated to tools for almost everything. there are plugins out there for almost anything.

while this is obviously a good thing. it can also be a bad thing when it comes to workflow. i think that as music software rapidly speeds forward sometimes people forget that things work better when they are streamlined as it helps workflow.

i think that is something that reason does very well. you get the opportunity to work in one environment that is very stable and you have all the tools at your disposal to make very good music. i remember lots of times i would be working in reason and i would wish that it had a particular tool or that i could use just one plugin. but because i couldn't i had to think of work-arounds which is a good thing as it forced me to be more creative.

I used to use reason a lot thinking that was the best way to go in the software music game. I later came to realize that just about everything else is better than reason because reason is so limited. It can't play any vsts u have to use only reason stuff and in my opinion the sounds in reason sound plasticky and crappy. I'd go with fruity loops.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8l6RTJgW5fE

DO your Research an you will see that reason is more professional than FL. You cant take fl into a studio and hook it up to all the gear and be satified with the sequencer. Reason got professional samplers, and its made for studio and at home. give me videos and links show me professionals that sold millions of record using FL in the studio or whatver Reason + Record is on that grown man stuff. Fl is on that ages 15-25 stuff.

Last edited:
Question:
yeah some "million dollar producers" use reason (how does that prove it is technically superior to flstudio i don't know...) but remember all your favourite hip-hop tracks from the 90's were made on hardware samplers that have a feature set that is pathetic compared to what is seen as standard in software nowadays.

Answer:
Because we talking about Million dollar producer.... When you have millions your going to buy the best, Why bring a sub par software into a million dollar studio? We talking about hit singles Research reason artist they will tell you the best. those live onstage proformances on these award show's what they using? Reason, why cuase it wont crash on stage. Try and do a whole show live with FL with ur Vst' lol. Reason Creates somthing called rewire now every body doing it. Reason creat a format called REx, now everbody suports it. Reason created a new synth called Graintable wave table synthesis, now FL 9 just got one and Reason came out with in 2002. You think Propellerhead is stupid enough to come out with a closed program just for the heck of it, know they know what there doing they are originators. u want Vst then rewire. rewire is easy as hooking up ur hardware to PT. Software is much better than software right.

Last edited:
i'm sorry but it's kind of difficult to have a discussion with you because you just seem to be so biased.

as i keep saying; flstudio supports plugins. reason does not. flstudio can use samplers and softsynths that are much more powerful than those in reason.

could you please explain to me what exactly makes flstudio unprofessional.

That's the first time I've ever heard that.

Not true. FL has a handful of synths, internal recording, far more effects than Reason, beat manipulation beyond anything else. Sample player, Edison. It's a beast.

Your comparing the nn-xt to edison slices. you slice mp3's while i' slice rex files.

Without buying anything else you can do plenty in FL, straight out the box. A lot of things you can't do in Reason unless you buy another program, like FL.

You dont even believe that statement urself lol.

Record's demo songs are interestingly using more CPU than FL's demo tune on my computer. Reason is very efficient, but so is FL, considering that it does so much more than Reason.

Yah get the full Record version my friend. Reason is used by professional live on stage Fl could not and will not do that without the fear of crashing. Usher's music dir. use reason on tour live. becasue reason havent had one case of freez or crashed. I can tell you havent use Propellerhead stuff your probly seen it and got overwelmed.

If it's closed then how can it have infinite possibilities?

Becasue i can use all the sound mudules that reason offers plus Refills and effect at the same time Unlimited amout of mixer chanells, i can load more than 3 songs on one screen using the combi, i can set up a live template by having however many screens open at once each screen has its own song. i can play without programing first, i can make my own patches with its unique sound, creat a refill or in ur case a Vst's send it via e-mail to a freind. i can map my samples on each key on my midi controler just by a click of a button(nn-xt) and more... and do all that with not have to worry about freeze or crash or CPU drainage. plus if i want vst Reason created somthing called Rewire and get vst's. and If i want a sound from a vst's i go and get a refill thats sounds the same or better and i can customize it save patch in somthing called a combinator. Or i can flip my rack aroind and take my cords and make a Vst.

Wrong again. Dr Rex was a joke when it came out. At that time FL was at version 3, it had internal beatslicing I believe, and came certainly came with zero-x beatslicer. It was way ahead of it's time. Meanwhile, you needed to buy Recycle if you wanted to get close to that kind of power with Reason. Even now, Reason still can't do internal beatslicing. FL is arguably the very best beatslicer of any sequencer.

LOL your crazy or you dont even know what REX Is. Reason created rex format wich is so powerful that ur FL suports. Beat slice vs. Recylce lol no fair. Recylce turns wave files to Rex files. Rex files is the only format that will match any tempo beat automaticly with out trying hard to get the time down. You put it in the Dr. Rex and let ur Guitar riff go to any tempo.

"FL is arguably the very best beatslicer of any sequencer."
Wow u have to be joking. how come people that dont have reason use recylce to replace the sample machine? Beat slices, slices MP3's bro while recylce is making REX file.

NN-XT is an OK sampler. By now it is ancient. FL has a built in sampler player. I don't know how they stack up against each other, but neither are comparable to the best VST samplers. FL can at least access those. Reason can't.

How come you find people on google searching for the closes Vst sampler like the nn-xt? Go look. NN-XT is all you need in a sampler. fl9 just got one but it cant touch the NN-xt. people sold they ASR 10 for the nn-xt ask Dr. Dre staff producer DJ Kahlil.

The same "million dollar" producers can do good things with any tools you put in front of them.

True, but they cant do the same thing with any program some programs would limit them or mess up they work flow.

Last edited:
i'm sorry but it's kind of difficult to have a discussion with you because you just seem to be so biased.

as i keep saying; flstudio supports plugins. reason does not. flstudio can use samplers and softsynths that are much more powerful than those in reason.

Cause professionals dont use FL. Like Mariah Carey's "Loving You Long Time". With Reason. I'm not saying FL doesnt sound professional matter of fact FL sound is amazing in my opion. I always though FL sound Engine was way better than Reason, Thats why people didnt do they final mix in Reason the did it in protools. Now that Record came out that prob is solve, not saying it will replace protools cause pT is really made for studio Eng bottom line i dont know why these amature's are using it they not getting money woth cause they dont know how to make sound radio quality thats why they need to just gohead save money and get Record.. But i'm saying that FL In all is not professinal as Reason bottom line cuase Reason is a real studio in a box not a daw that rely's on vst's. before vst's it was hardware only and Micheal jackson sold the most record world wide ever by using hardware only him and Q. Jones. and Reason is Hardware in a box but better cause its software. Meaning Props build they stuff so they dont have to update they stuff every 3 month like software thats why in reason u see these devices that was mad in the late 90's that are still being use in the program that some other software stocked without Vst's cant do.

you are impossible to argue with. you think you can create a vst by messing around with the wires in reason (i admit that i love the routing capabilities that the reason environment offers).

you keep repeating that "professionals" don't use flstudio.

loads of drum n bass, dubstep, electro, techno, house, breakcore artists all use flstudio in their productions.

reason has certain advantages but it also has disadvantages which you seem unwilling to see. the main problem being that it is a closed system and it cannot support vsts. if you want to rewire you can, i'm rewiring right now, but when you rewire you lose a lot of what makes reason unique in the first place. you basically relegate it the position of sound module.

the same argument could be a counter argument....

reason is standalone...u dont need any vsts...and u can just use refills(or learn to program)....there are plents of free refills on teh propellerhead site in addition to other professional and 3rd party refills......it has every kind of synth included...so there isnt really a need for vsts...and the effects can produce progfessional results as evidenced by people like toomp, dj babu, and dj khalil...

u could say that it doesnt have recording capabilities...and there really wouldnt be a counterargument to that other than get record...

DO your Research an you will see that reason is more professional than FL. You cant take fl into a studio and hook it up to all the gear and be satified with the sequencer. Reason got professional samplers, and its made for studio and at home. give me videos and links show me professionals that sold millions of record using FL in the studio or whatver Reason + Record is on that grown man stuff. Fl is on that ages 15-25 stuff.

Lol this is just the first thing that popped into my mind but soulja boy sold millions off his beats made with fl studio. And there are many more really it's a matter of preference not what is "professional".

Back