FL 10 Slow and Latency

M

MK1st

I'm having an issue with FL 10 on my new laptop.

Crackling was an issue on my old computer. Then i had a laptop that was consumer grade and it worked besides being a bit slow and some minor popping. Then I got a newer computer that has the following stats:

i7-2670QM 2.2Ghz-3.1 Ghz
750 gb harddrive 5400 RPM (weakest link on my laptop)
6 gb RAM DDR3
NVIDia GeForce GT 540 M Video Card with 1GB of GDDR3 memory on that
Dolby Advanced Audio and Waves MaxxAudio 3 enhancements

Yeah. All that and it does the worse then the first computer I had FL on. What could be wrong if the stats read like this.​

maybe your CPU usage is high. when I'm working in FL studio on my laptop, its usually the only other program I have running. I close everything else.

Your PC should be kicking ass. Check your sample rate and buffer and sample sizes in your DAW. Check your DAW manual for changing these to improve latency.
Open task manager (CTRL+ALT+DEL) and click on the Start Task Manager tab. Then select the Performance tab. This will let you know how much processing power your actually using.
Backing up a bit, there is the Applications tab. Check what you've got going on in the background and close anything you don't need goin' on.

Yeah I would agree with Stoffa's advice. I too just got a new computer with similar spec and FL runs perfect.

When you first load FL it will automatically bring up one of the songs that come with the program. Did this song play okay without problems or did it not play correctly? If the song did not play correctly then you may have too much running in the background. If it did play right, but your own tracks won't then it may be a plugin behaving badly. Ways to fix that issue are in the FL help files.

Since it is new... really take a look at what is running. Some computer mfg. add a ton of trials and bloatware to their computers and they maybe running in the background by default

Yeah, I tried the default song and it breaks up really badly after a few seconds. The midi clock is choppy only updating every half second. When I look at task manager, it looks like only one or two cores are running so I may just need to do some background work to my laptop to make sure all the power is getting to it. I also noticed that they have multi thread support so I figured it would've worked if I checked it but it doesn't seem any better. I've downgraded back to FL9 but I want to try it again as I'm interested in some of the new features. I'll re-install it and try again. Thanks for the advice guys.

Are you using an audio interface (external sound card) or internal? Check the audio settings, and make sure the input/output is aligned. If you have ASIO set up, make sure your running FL on the Asio settings for your driver, and not running the internal driver by default

IndeProducer

Like others said.
Its either buffer/sample/ latency settings
Or
Back ground applications & proccess. Turn them off with task manager.

I'm using a Yamaha Audiogram 6 as a sound card right now. It's alright but not anything to chime on. The soundcard i dont think is the issue, though. I've cut off all programs and it jumps every 2 seconds now. Still..., something is amist so I will probably delete most of these stupid background programs anyways. Thanks for the advice.

I figured it was like that. There were a few features on the new one that I would've loved to have used to help make records easier. Sorta cut down on time so that I can get more done faster but f it. Quality over quantity.

How many Gigs of ram do you have on the laptop? Its common that computers with less RAM can't handle programs like FL studio. And what type of interface do you use? that could be the problem too. idk just guessing.

SoundClick Page: SoundClick artist: Star Tanner Productions - I am a beat maker/ producer. I specialize in making rap, hip hop, pop, techno, and r&b instrumentals

Official website: Beats For Sale | Buy Beats Online | Rap Beats | Hip Hop Beats

Email: startannerproductions@gmail.com

I deleted it and reinstalled it recently after dealing with 9 for so long and it did the same thing immediately. I did hack down a lot of the background crap though so that helped. Also I fooled around with ASIO and that made quite a difference. It still seems a bit sensitive though. I dont know for sure because I havent loaded any of the FL9 projects yet. I will post later on on what my results bring.

Try using the 3gb version if you are not already using it, you 6gbs of ram so it can handle it. Also, if you are using alot of plug-ins, switch them to smart disable. Go to tools - Macros - Switch smart disable for all plugins. If you use plug-ins that use up alot of memory that will help alot.

Back