Do i need Protools for mastering? Recording?

Jack Wald

Hello! I use ableton for my production (mainly progressive trance, chillstep, dnb, etc). Is it necessary, or would it even be useful to get Protools just for the mixing and mastering stage? I mainly use Waves plugins for mastering. Also, would it be beneficial to get protools, bounce out my stems, then mix in protools with the stems?
One last thing, I do some recording as well. Mostly guitar (acoustic or electric) and vocals. would it impact it or help with recording at all?
If someone could maybe outline in what ways protools is better than Ableton for these reasons that would be great!
Thank you.

Absolutely not. I don't use Ableton, but I'm familiar enough with the structure of the program to say you can master in it with the knowhow.

If you're not satisfied with the results, there are programs that focus on mastering like Soundforge, Wavelab, Quattro, Audition, and Samplitude/Sequioa. Pro Tools is a definite option for Mastering as well. I use it for mastering up to the point of putting songs in order and making a CD image. I use CD Architect from that point. I'd research before making a decision you have a ton of options. Good luck.

Ok, thanks for the quick reply! So why is it that Protools is generally preferred? Because of the audio effect/processing ability built in? Or is the general workspace just more built towards mastering?

^^^I'm not even sure Pro Tools is preferred.

I always wonder where people gather these types of stats. I'm the only guy I know who Masters in Pro Tools. Back when I was on PC I used Soundforge. Most people I know use Soundforge, Audition, and Wavelab. Alot of Mac users speak good of Quattro, and most professionals from what I've seen(as in guys mastering commercially released material on a major scale)use Sequoia/samplitude.

Pro Tools, Cubase, Sonar, Ableton all from what I've seen would fall into the same realm when it comes to mastering. They are structured as multitrack recording DAWs, with a secondary structure of a 1 stereo track mastering environment. That's not saying they're less capable of the job...but that it's more of a secondary function, not what was looked at as a priority when these programs were put together.

Any music program on the market I can think of can master down to FL Studio, Garageband, and Reason. All I'm saying is buying Pro Tools to master in your situation is like owning Pro Tools for beatmaking/recording and buying Ableton to master for the most part. The experience of mastering in both is kind of interchangeable. There are programs like Soundforge, Wavelab, and Quattro that offer a different environment for mastering. Whether they're needed is up to the individual.

Protools isn't a must for mixing and mastering, usually you can pull it all off from your DAW if it's capable (Cubase), but you'll find it's the choice mixing/mastering program for the majority of successful producers. I have it, I just haven't touched it yet.

^^^Again, where are you guys getting these stats from? I've known it to be a leading tool in recording and mixing...but this is the 1st I've heard of Mastering especially for "majors".

I could still be living in the dark ages, but most M.E.'s I know of still rely heavily on hardware and contained mastering programs(Wavelab/Soundforge). Other than that, I know of a few industry elites who use Sequoia. I'm not saying Pro Tools can't master, I'm saying I've never seen a Mastering engineer run out to get Pro Tools because it was the "professional choice" for mastering.

It's mastering, you don't have to reopen files like you do when recording/mixing(compatibility plays a huge role in why people use Pro Tools), most M.E.'s I know each have their own individual setup. You don't see the same thing in many mastering environments because everyone relies on their own individual set of tools. A mastering setup is where you usually find speakers/monitors you've never heard of(or not very popular), the randomest processors fused into a chain, weird and unorthodox methods of things being done.

It's not a contained enough process to say "Pro Tools is needed" or even used heavily. I've seen M.E.'s who use it(myself for 1, simply because I own it for recording, no other reason), but seen just as many use stuff that I've never heard of many people using for recording like Adobe Audition. I know a few M.E.'s who think that's the holy grail of mastering. They also tend to rely on more hulked up PCs than Macs while in other stages of music I see more Macs than PCs. All just from my experience, so others may see things differently.

Asking about gear for mastering is like asking about the best/most used guitar amp or best/most used tool for making beats. There are certain areas of music where everyone kinda does their own thing.

The only thing I've ever known Pro Tools to be known for is the recording/mixing process simply because if everyone used it, transferring files was done more easily.

EDIT: Nvmd, I did a quick google search, Pro Tools and Waves plugs seem to be the choice of DIYer's. Irony is, that kind of makes Pro Tools and Waves the FL Studio of the Mastering world...does it not?

Last edited:
Mastering is ear training and knowledge, not the software. Remember this; mastering was done LONG before software was even available. It was done using one's ears, and watching the meters.

If you want to learn how to master, you want to learn about the science of sound, and train your ears. The software will have nothing to do with it in the long run. Some make it easier to master, based on the tools you're given, but ultimately, it is only a small part of the entire package.

^^ What he said. I'm sure you could use Frooty Loops to come to your final destination if you so desired... Souljah Boy admits in a youtube video to using the demo version of Fruity Loops to make the beat to "Tell 'em" I believe it was... but after youtubeing it people have remade tons of his songs in Frooty Loops.. and I've seen a video of someone remaking, Orjan Nilsen's - Between The Rays in Frooty Loops... so anything's possible. EDIT: Speaking of which I can't get my pro tools to open, something about lowering my cache size or deleting my prefs but it would be nice to use since the Virus only allows programming 3 outs and I hate using presets...

Last edited:
^^ What he said. I'm sure you could use Frooty Loops to come to your final destination if you so desired... Souljah Boy admits in a youtube video to using the demo version of Fruity Loops to make the beat to "Tell 'em" I believe it was... but after youtubeing it people have remade tons of his songs in Frooty Loops.. and I've seen a video of someone remaking, Orjan Nilsen's - Between The Rays in Frooty Loops... so anything's possible. EDIT: Speaking of which I can't get my pro tools to open, something about lowering my cache size or deleting my prefs but it would be nice to use since the Virus only allows programming 3 outs and I hate using presets...

Yeah -- as great musicians have told me, it's the carpenter, not the tools. The tools help, but if you don't know how to use them, they won't do the work for you.

About your Pro Tools; are you mac or PC? Here's how to clear your prefs, should fix your opening issue:
https://www.obedia.com/clear-avid-protools-preferences-on-windows
https://www.obedia.com/delete-avid-protools-preferences-on-mac-os-x

I tried the way they said ot do it on the Avid site, same error.. tried the way you posted and I'm getting the same thing. Going to try a reinstall. Maybe it's since I'm using windows 8? :x (Sorry for off topic)

Back