Cubase question

D

daveyjfields

Hey, Im a noob to cubase but have been using reason and hardware for a few years,
My questions a pretty basic one but just one that has me a little stumped..
In Reason as you all know to create a track you first(normally) pop a mixer into the rack first then add your instuments ...etc..

I have been reading the cubase 5 manual and figuring it out slowly, My question is what order are things done? the first tutorial is about writing an audio track then a midi, thats great but when does the mixer come into it ? I know the tracks are already linked into a mixer and if you call it up its there, but does one not call up a mixer first like in reason and work that way? (Im just used to working with the mixer first),

any help would be much appreciated on "What order are tracks put together in Cubase" (and which mixer to use as standard)(group or other?)
Cheers,

What functionality are you looking to get from the mixer besides volume, pan, eq bypass functionality etc? I'm not familiar with Reason's mixer is why I ask.

But yes, there is automagically a mixer assigned to each vst channel that controls the basics mentioned above in C5.

Hey, Not functionality really it was just in reason you use the mixer as a starting point, I can see things are done differently in cubase,
Im just fumbling in the dark here! lol, I take it the tracks are just built up in the sequencer and the mixer is there for when you wanna set vols an pans etc.. still learning!!
Cheers,

that is correct. I know the feeling , I just moved from cubase le to cubase 5. Reason's visual connectivity portions have been hidden away in Cubase's standard menu buttons on the top so we can play hide and seek. YAY. Reason is nice that way admittedly but Im keeping cubase 5

Hey, Im a noob to cubase but have been using reason and hardware for a few years,
My questions a pretty basic one but just one that has me a little stumped..
In Reason as you all know to create a track you first(normally) pop a mixer into the rack first then add your instuments ...etc..

I have been reading the cubase 5 manual and figuring it out slowly, My question is what order are things done? the first tutorial is about writing an audio track then a midi, thats great but when does the mixer come into it ?

In Cubase, the mixer happens automatically. Each audio track, midi track, instrument track, and even rewire tracks, has a dedicated mixer channel that happens automatically. In applications like Reason, you have a free or static mixer system where there's a preset number of mixer channels and you route things to any channel freely. In Cubase, if you create an audio track, Cubase simply matches it automatically with a mixer channel for it. If you remove that audio track, Cubase removes the mixer channel. It's a very intelligent system.

Much I know the tracks are already linked into a mixer and if you call it up its there, but does one not call up a mixer first like in reason and work that way? (Im just used to working with the mixer first),

Reason is the exception only in that the mixer is truly not there until you create it. In probably every other sequencer, the Mixer is simply already there. In Cubase, it is likewise already there, whether or not you have it visible, it's still there. When you add a track, it simply adds a track to the existing mixer even if the mixer is not visible, this is still taking place. So if you're used to working with the mixer first, then open a new document and press Control *. Then you will see the mixer.

any help would be much appreciated on "What order are tracks put together in Cubase" (and which mixer to use as standard)(group or other?)
Cheers,

This question I don't understand. What do you mean by "order"? Maybe you're speaking of a workflow. Create a new document. Start with one of the new "instrument tracks". Create a new instrument track. Cubase should allow you to choose an instrument prior to creating the track. When the track appears, all routing has been done automatically. There's nothing to do but play and record. Create a new instrument track and do the same. Use the "inspector on the left of the arrange window to see the mixer channel, fader, everything in the mixer for that single instrument. This helps you avoid having to visit the mixer so often. It's dead simple for such a monster application.

Thanks a million L.A thats totally cleared that up for me!!!,
Yeah I meant workflow, Cheers!!

Back