Chiptune software/VST's

cribble

Hello, I'm starting an all synth and keys band and need some software help. I'm already using Ableton Live and rewired Reason, as the main basis of the track, but i need some proper 8-bit synths and kits.

Any recommended free plug-ins or vsts i should check out?

I also have a gameboy pocket, anyone know of any simple software i could use for it?

Thanks

Last edited:
QuadraSID's a great SID emu, probably the best one.

Tweakbench has nice stuff, as does JackDark/Novuzeit.

As for the Gameboy,Nanoloop is the one. LSDJ (Little Sound DJ) is another one, but it's been out of production for some time, and the only means of getting it would be to obtain the ROM image from the official site, or get a 2nd hand cartridge (which can be ridiculously expensive, as it's got some kind of cult collector status now).

Yeah, i've checked out the LSDJ and i know what you mean about the cult collectors status. As much as i love the clean look of nanoloop, i get no responce from them.

And thanks to everyone for the synths, the bands coming along nicely now. Cheers.

Hi everybody,

I know this topic is old but I think it's never too late to put a good link, I think !

I would like to share to you my webpage dedicated to chipmusic (8bit music, lo-fi music, micromusic, chiptune) :
:) Check my signature : Woolyss Chipmusic

You will find many links to :
- VSTi plugins(freewares mainly) directly downloadable, sorted by emulation type
- good chiptrackers (without hardware emulator)
- chiptune webradios
- chiptune composers
- chiptune netlabels
- chiptune hardwares
- chiptune generators
- more and more audio demos about each VSTi plugin !

Thank you. Enjoy !

Last edited:
QuadraSID's a great SID emu, probably the best one.

Tweakbench has nice stuff, as does JackDark/Novuzeit.

As for the Gameboy,Nanoloop is the one. LSDJ (Little Sound DJ) is another one, but it's been out of production for some time, and the only means of getting it would be to obtain the ROM image from the official site, or get a 2nd hand cartridge (which can be ridiculously expensive, as it's got some kind of cult collector status now).

^ This. Out of all the members here, I can always count on krushing to provide great, helpful answers.

I love chiptune, and if you want me to just name some of the more popular VSTs off the top of my head: magical8bitplugin, ymVST, tb_peach, tb_toad... There's a ton though. You have all the resources to easily find them now. :)

:) Cheers.

A lot has happened since I made that post in 2006, though...jikoo's list is pretty comprehensive.

If you're serious about it, beg someone to sell you their SIDstation.
If you want to take a software approach,
quadraSID, basic 64.

Drums: There are sample cds available, or you can always make your own (A good bitcrusher VST has a lot of applications)

Back