Anyone have ever switch FL to Reason?

very interesting post.

but i am wondering will propellerheads actually create a new sampler. it sounds like a great idea but like i said before if propellerheads have decided to forego serious competition with other music production software then i can't really see the development and implementation of another high quality sampler being integrated within reason. the reason i say that is because there are many reason users who praise the NNXT very highly and propellerheads may feel that it does not need updating.

what propellerheads needs is a sampler that stream from disk...

i think the next reason update will have this...

they just build the technology for record, right?

triggering a sample is pretty much like triggering a audio track, right?

reason is the future of music production...

there is also a possibility of having two reason verisions, a lite verision and a pro verision...

these new powerful computers/machines are cheap as h3ll. it would be foolish not to take advantage of this computer power...

just imagine running east/west, big fish, kontakt, omnisphere, trilian, etc type sound libraries in reason...

yes, we are heading in that direction....

i personally feel as if FL vs Reason type Threads should be erased immediately cuz all you guys do is B i t c h about which one you like better when none of that **** matters anyway....wheres that moderator guy....can youguys lock this thread please....then this ****in guy gets on here wondering who ever switched to Reason...WHY???!!!....are they gonna pay you???....like you have never been on FP before....and GST...my friend....much respect man but you are biased and you know it

It's more music related than tons of other repeat threads, has a nice twist on it...but you're right, same ol' thread. I'm watching it. For now, it's been an informative topic. :cheers:

season greeting to you too, deRanged!!!

:cheers:

i am not hating on fl studio. it does what every other sequencer does...

records midi data...

what more could you ask for?

Exactly. Anything wrong with FL is wrong with Sonar, Cubase, Pro Tools, logic, ect. beyond personal opinion no different than anything wrong with Reason is wrong with workstation keyboards beyond personal opinion, add Record and it's like adding a multitrack recorder(not a DAW, but like a Roland VS). Add Recycle and it's like adding a hardware sampler like and S1100. Rewire, and it's like plugging a Workstation Keyboard up to run in a DAW.

I fail to see how this always turns to "what's better" when "better" is an opinionated word. Both are capable. :cheers:

i just tested out the quantizing and yes it works like a charm...

if an individual cant make music in fl studio it makes no differents what they use. fl studio is pretty straight forward...

i do not sample but with edison/slicer what else does one need...

yes, it just comes down to personal preference...

like who has better value meals...

burger king, wendys, mickey ds, sonic, white castles, etc

i'm sure there are many flstudio users who would kill your reason workflow ;).

I doubt it, considering I'm very talented with the workflow of FL Studio also. And I know which allows easier seq, which IS the workflow of a beat making software. I've been using FL Studio for the better part of a decade. I doubt the developers of the software could speed up the workflow of FL to come close to the workflow of Reason.

I by no means even want to say that Reason is better, but I've had a lot of experience demoing gear and selling it and I know what makes people buy gear. Banging out hot tracks and making it look easy. Period. Only people that already know software would pick it based on anything else. If you already know FL Studio then of course your workflow for it will be better than a software you don't use and know. But that was my whole point. Give me a FL user and an hour and I'll have them hooked on Reason!

If you are looking for a complete production d.a.w. then you could pick Cubase or ProTools just as easily as FL Studio. If you want a beat making workstation where getting the ideas out quickly is the most important thing then Reason is your answer.

Using Reason is no different than using a Motif with Cubase. Are you trying to say that FL Studio is better than Motif with Cubase? It's not.

Reason is a different type of product. If you wanna bring up audio editing and all the other features that dude is bringing up why don't you just compare apples to oranges.

If you wanna talk about beat making alone, you guys really have NOTHING TO SAY bad about Reason.

AND FOR THE RECORD: The quanatizing in FL SUCKS! You can't do percentage. I'm not a robot and I don't want my music to sound that way.

When will people realize that it's the imperfections that makes music amazing?

I suck at playing keys, so I need to tighten it up, but do I want it snapped to grid like I have DEEPBLUE programming my tracks for me? NO!

Oh, how did this even turn into a FL v.s. Reason thread. All I said was that I could turn any FL user into a Reason user. And BTW, I didn't mean that they would leave FL forever. I just ment I could have them diggin Reason also.

Edit: Was going to say something relevant then realized I was wrong.

Carry on...

Last edited:
when you talk about "making beats alone" you cant say anything bad about any sequencer. they all record midi data...

it all boils down to preference...

big butts, no butt, big tits, small tits, white, black, brown, tall, short, fat, healthy, slim, short hair, med hair, long hair, church girl, freak...

me, like like a big butt, big tits, black, tall, healthy, med hair, church girl that a freak...

Last edited:
i just tested out the quantizing and yes it works like a charm...

if an individual cant make music in fl studio it makes no differents what they use. fl studio is pretty straight forward...

i do not sample but with edison/slicer what else does one need...

yes, it just comes down to personal preference...

like who has better value meals...

burger king, wendys, mickey ds, sonic, white castles, etc

It's the hoops that you have to jump through to get the modwheel in FL Studio to work that is a bigger problem I think. It can be made to work, sort of, but it should be like in other DAWs where it simply works, all the time, on every channel.

I doubt it, considering I'm very talented with the workflow of FL Studio also. And I know which allows easier seq, which IS the workflow of a beat making software. I've been using FL Studio for the better part of a decade. I doubt the developers of the software could speed up the workflow of FL to come close to the workflow of Reason.

I by no means even want to say that Reason is better, but I've had a lot of experience demoing gear and selling it and I know what makes people buy gear. Banging out hot tracks and making it look easy. Period. Only people that already know software would pick it based on anything else. If you already know FL Studio then of course your workflow for it will be better than a software you don't use and know. But that was my whole point. Give me a FL user and an hour and I'll have them hooked on Reason!

If you are looking for a complete production d.a.w. then you could pick Cubase or ProTools just as easily as FL Studio. If you want a beat making workstation where getting the ideas out quickly is the most important thing then Reason is your answer.

Using Reason is no different than using a Motif with Cubase. Are you trying to say that FL Studio is better than Motif with Cubase? It's not.

Reason is a different type of product. If you wanna bring up audio editing and all the other features that dude is bringing up why don't you just compare apples to oranges.

If you wanna talk about beat making alone, you guys really have NOTHING TO SAY bad about Reason.

you're sounding a bit arrogant there.

you say you're not saying reason is better but you keep going on and on about how the reason sequencer kills the fl studio sequencer. at the end of the day which is the better sequencer is entirely down to preference, but you seem to think there is an definite answer and that you have found it.

for other forms of electronic music, remember hip-hop is a type of electronic music, flstudio is usually viewed as being "better" for making music. this is for genres that don't rely or require the recording of instruments of vocals.

for one thing reason, by itself, cannot record audio at all. that means if you want to sample something you need another program and then you need up the sample it the nnxt or another reason device. reason doesn't even have a wav editor.

also the exclusion of plugin support is a major drawback for creating beats. there are lots of great plugins out there you are unable to use with reason.

while i agree, to an extent, with the comparison of reason to a workstation i think that comparison is becoming less and less relevant. in reality that very comparison holds very little weight because a hardware workstation and reason also two totally completely beasts. people just like to use the analogy of reason as a self-enclosed workstation. i think now as software has become more popular there are now lots of producers coming up who have never worked with hardware, sans midi controllers, before. their entire experience of music making is software based so although the analogy of reason a keyboard workstation may be good when attempting to compare products it actually doesn't stand for much.

in these comparisons to hardware the only thing that defines reason as a self enclosed workstation keyboard is the fact that it doesn't support plugins (a lot of people have referred to refills as like getting new sound modules) and i guess you could throw in the fact that it has quite a nice library of sounds.

but that is hardly a definition and all the things that make reason like a hardware workstation other programs can do as well.

and with the release of record there is no denying that reason/record (when used in conjunction) is a DAW. it fits the definition of a digital audio workstation.

but i digress. this is just arguing semantics.

some people create their basic beat in flstudio or reason, and then track it out and mix it in another program. some people mix within reason or flstudio. different people have different ways of working.

some people like doing all their production in cubase or pro tools.

in terms of what reason can do and what fl studio can do then fl studio is technically superior as it allows you to host plugins (i won't mention recording audio because Record added with Reason allows that). but what software is technically the best has little to no relevance to the individual, that's you and me and everybody else.

for example i love using renoise but some people i know can't stand using trackers for anything and hate the sight of them. in fact i'm fairly certain a pretty good case could be made for renoise being superior to both reason and flstudio strictly in terms of beatmaking!! :p
but that's another argument...

other people swear by ableton live. some people use cubase.

everybody should use what is best for them, but that doesn't mean that every program is the same. yes some programs have better capabilities than others. unfortunately wheter or not preference for one sequencer over another makes that program better for beat-making is still up in the air.

what propellerheads needs is a sampler that stream from disk...

i think the next reason update will have this...

they just build the technology for record, right?

triggering a sample is pretty much like triggering a audio track, right?

reason is the future of music production...

there is also a possibility of having two reason verisions, a lite verision and a pro verision...

these new powerful computers/machines are cheap as h3ll. it would be foolish not to take advantage of this computer power...

just imagine running east/west, big fish, kontakt, omnisphere, trilian, etc type sound libraries in reason...

yes, we are heading in that direction....

that would be really cool. running those huge sample libraries efficiently in a stable environment would be a dream come true for a lot of people out there.

i really hope that propellerheads are working on a super new synth for their next release also. something along the lines of camel audio alchemy.

i think a new sampler and a synth, and some new fx modules is what reason needs for the next update.

although i disagree with reason being the future of music production ;).

i really hope that propellerheads are working on a super new synth for their next release also. something along the lines of camel audio alchemy.

this what i am talking about...

achemy is a sampler with synth controls, same as omnisphere and trilian. kontakt and EWQL Play plugin are samplers that have synth controls too...

all of these products are the same except that you cant load samples into trilian or omnisphere. they all stream samples from disk...

the next logical step for props after Record is a disk streaming sampler. they just finished building the technology for disk streaming with Record...

i would really be surpised if this is not props next step...

this what i am talking about...

achemy is a sampler with synth controls, same as omnisphere and trilian. kontakt and EWQL Play plugin are samplers that have synth controls too...

all of these products are the same except that you cant load samples into trilian or omnisphere. they all stream samples from disk...

the next logical step for props after Record is a disk streaming sampler. they just finished building the technology for disk streaming with Record...

i would really be surpised if this is not props next step...

Not likely, not soon. Record killed 2 birds with 1 stone. It's a new product, and it's Reason's upgrade. So the next Reason or Record upgrade may be a couple years down the road. Another thing to consider is that it takes several years for Props to upgrade just Reason, and they couldn't spare any time for Recycle, ever. So now they have Record and Reason to maintain. One of them is going to collect a lot of dust before ever seeing an upgrade, or the upgrade will be pitiful.

i don't know. while i agree it looks as if props have killed two birds with one stone with record, it's a new product and an upgrade to reason that adds recording and a new mixer. remember that the ability to record audio was a huge request from users.

and yes propellerheads are painfully slow when it comes to upgrading their products. but i do hope they upgrade reason in 2010. the thing that keeps me hopeful that will happen is that just before record was released propellerheads released a blog stating how their was an entire development team devoted and working on reason.

as neverenoughfunk has stated propellerheads have built the ability for streaming audio from disk with record so maybe we will see a new updated reason with hybrid synth/sampler (and hopefully some other modules!!) sooner rather than later.

*argh so many edits!!*

Last edited:
Not likely, not soon. Record killed 2 birds with 1 stone. It's a new product, and it's Reason's upgrade. So the next Reason or Record upgrade may be a couple years down the road. Another thing to consider is that it takes several years for Props to upgrade just Reason, and they couldn't spare any time for Recycle, ever. So now they have Record and Reason to maintain. One of them is going to collect a lot of dust before ever seeing an upgrade, or the upgrade will be pitiful.

i am under the impression that props has a development team for both Reason and Record...

plus, it seems like Record is pretty stable (no major recoding or testing). for all we know they could be working on both apps...

Reason 5 is going to be very big...

with Reason's closed environment any/all upgrade must be "very big"...

Back