Anyone have ever switch FL to Reason?

Man I couldn't agree more, ones you are fully in control of all the things Reason can do, it's the only thing you'll ever want out of a workstation, especially the sequencer is super intuitive

I do track out into Adobe Audition for additional mixing tho

I don't need audio editing in my production software. I use Soundforge for that because FL doesn't come close to it for editing. Also I don't need importing or exporting so many formats because wav is a standard format and 99% of soundbanks include the wav formats. Also I don't need midi out because it has everything that a keyboard has for sounds. Plug-in support is achieved though rewire and is not allowed for stability. I use Recycle for beat slicing and prefer it to beatslicer. And for exporting there is Record if you must have per track exporting.

I can make a hot track in Reason in less than 15min in full song mode of the top of my head. That's what makes everyone flip. When they see the workflow of Reason used to it's full potential. I'll post my tutorial when I'm done.

FL studio needs hundred of dollars of plug-ins to even compare to Reason. There are trade offs either way so don't be so one sided.

LOL. You said you turn FL users into Reason users in 1 hour. All they have to do is buy Sound Forge, Reason, Record, Recycle, and a rewire host. Then, Reason is so much better than FL. You may not realize this, but you're not making hot tracks in Reason, you're making hot tracks in 5 or more applications, one of which happens to be Reason. Here's a thought: Why not just buy FL and save yourself some money and trouble hopping from application to application. Here's something else to consider. How exactly are you being stable when you're rewiring to a host and using vst plugins?

I switched from FL to Reason back in 04 i believe... best decision I could have ever made.

I think it's better for a "new producer" to learn Reason as opposed to FL. They will be better off in the long run. Once that producer isn't new anymore... it's anybody's ballgame, b/c it becomes a matter of preference. But at least at that point, they'd be able to choose FL or Reason for the right reasons (no pun intended).

Last edited:
I just find it odd that people assume Reason is "more professional" or somehow "teaches you more".

Not siding, i love both programs and there are pros and cons to both, but there's not one thing to "learn" in either of these programs that can't be learned in the other as well as a million other apps.

5 years ago when FL was hacked heavier you got alot more people using it who weren't using it properly, but in the last couple years, Reason users have become just as much of a "novice crowd" because the same losers that couldn't figure out a hacked ver of FL hacked Reason and think they doing better because "it's more professional".

Sounds like people who say "hardware is more professional". If it works for you, cool. But Reason users are like Mac users. They try to justify their choice by making other programs to seem inferior. I'm still using a P4 2.7ghz and getting no big shift in my "stability" switching back to FL. Could be my outdated vstis, and the fact alot of my sounds are coming from hardware... still got alot of better(IMO) sounds and control than I had in Reason.

But, alas, "FL is for amateurs", no wonder I run back to it when I start getting alot of stuff off the ground and don't have the time due to deadlines to work on tweaking, mixing, and creating my own sounds(that tends to be overrated by producers). Not to mention the effortlessness it takes to sample and the fact you can mix and export a ton of different ways without secondary software. Only speaking from my experience, though.

..This shouldn't be an issue whatever works for you is best..FL didn't work for me but I love Reason,whatever..People will stick up for what they use,it's common sense.BUT neither program is perfect,Reason doesn't record/edit audio or accept VST's,etc but It stands on it's own without those features and the tools provided are enough for most needs.IMO FL would fall flat on it's face if weren't for 3rd party VSTi's.The Reason user has to buy Record or ReWire to another app to get recording or use vst's..FL Users need to invest in VST's to get some useable sounds.We could go on and on about the pro's and con's of each all day.It just boils down on what works for you,I'll allways say FL sucks but I shouldn't I just dont like it (4 me) Ive' heard ass beats from both programs.Same goes for hot beats,just make good music with whatever floats your boat.

LOL. You said you turn FL users into Reason users in 1 hour. All they have to do is buy Sound Forge, Reason, Record, Recycle, and a rewire host. Then, Reason is so much better than FL. You may not realize this, but you're not making hot tracks in Reason, you're making hot tracks in 5 or more applications, one of which happens to be Reason. Here's a thought: Why not just buy FL and save yourself some money and trouble hopping from application to application. Here's something else to consider. How exactly are you being stable when you're rewiring to a host and using vst plugins?

Reason is a workstation, not a d.a.w. I use only Reason. My point was there are ways to do all that you wanna do for Reason but you don't need to because Reason is the same as any workstation keyboard but with far more control.

And I don't rewire to a host for vst's. I use tracked out audio. The only vst's I need is fx and I use ProTools for that anyways. Bottom line, is nothing touches the seq, and people flip when they see the workflow.

You can do everything that FL does with ProTools alone. I use Reason with ProTools. Of course FL has "more" functions, it's a full d.a.w. and Reason is just a workstation. But you don't need a full d.a.w. to make tracks. That's like saying that FL is better than a Motif. It's not, it's a completely different type of product.

Man, I've been using FL since version 3 and Reason since version 2. I know what they each do. But I still can kill anyone in FL with the workflow of Reason. It wouldn't even be a contest. The patch searching alone speeds up the workflow ridiculous compared to FL. Not to mention all of the plug-ins you would have to buy to get half the sounds that Reason has stock.

I love FL Studio. It has amazing stock fx, great step seq, and is easy to use. But it could never touch Reason in workflow.

When I get done with the tutorials, I'll post them, and then we can continue this thread.

a lot of opinions flying around here with people attempting to pass them off as fact. here is a perfect example;

I don't need audio editing in my production software.

if reason works well for you that doesn't necessarily mean it is the best product. people have a habit of viewing their favourite DAW as an extension of their manhood. they don't like hearing bad things about it. they'd rather believe that what they're using is the best. when comparing software we should try to remain objective as our personal needs and wants are not universal. the software developers aren't developing their software for one person after all!!

price wise reason is 450euro compared to flstudio at 200euro.

if you want to go totally propellerheads then the reason/record combo is 535 plus 230euro which equals 665euro.

the fl studio signature bundle is 300euro in comparison.

so there is a noticable difference in price.

if you wanted you could purchase the flstudio signature bundle, a couple of VSTs and still have some money left over. remember there are also a whole host of freeware plugins out there that are compatible with flstudio. you can build up a nice little collection of high quality and free plugins if you know what you're after. some of these easily compare to what is compared natively in flstudio and reason.

as for the in-built sound library reason has flstudio beat. now i personally don't use the in-built library in any program that much because i have my own samples that i would rather use but as previously stated my personal preference has no relevance to the wider audience.

i personally love propellerheads as a company and believe they have been one of the most innovative music software companies of the past 15 years (rebirth, recycle and reason were all hugely innovative products for their time) but i believe that music software is moving, and has been moving, in a direction that isn't congruent with their view of a totally self-enclosed virtual studio.

but think back to the start of this decade. music software, and the idea of it, was very different back then. people were just really starting to consider coming around to the idea of working totally within and software environment and it was becoming a viable alternative not only to a lot of amateurs but to a lot of professional musicians as well.

computers weren't as powerful then as they are now and so the idea of a music software program that was extremely stable and low on CPU was not only highly appealing, it was an idea that made a huge amount of sense.

the idea of letting third party companies develop software to be used in conjunction with your product obviously creates some stability issues so it is understandable that propellerheads chose to not allow plugins with reason.

but that was a long time ago. we're at the end of the decade now. as i've said before i remember when i used to go on this site and people used to hate on all software producers. hardware was the only way to go if you wanted to be a "serious producer". you would apparently get laughed at in the studio if you only used software. things have changed a bit now.

then as software became more widely used i remember there were the "big dogs" of cubase, pro tools, etc.. and then the more "beat creation" centric programs such as reason, fl studio, etc...

as deranged has pointed out fl studio (or fruity loops ;) ) was a lot more widely used, well cracked versions anyway, back then. i always used to enjoy reading the endless reason versus fruity loops threads that used to spring up on every production forum i visited. a lot of the time these were greeted by calls of "not this again" or "this discussion has been done to death". but i've always loved these sort of threads. i'm fully aware that it's been discussed to death but i'm also aware that the both pieces of software continue to evolve. therefore a thread about fl studio versus reason that was posted 2 years ago might not be that relevant today. remember that technology moves at a fast pace.

where does that leave us now?

fruity loops may have started out as inferior to reason, as that was generally seen as the case on many production forums, but times have changed since it's evolved into fl studio. like deranged said there were a lot of fl studio users around before who then migrated to reason because it was "apparently" more professional.

but like i said before the music software market has moved in a way that is not in keeping with propellerheads vision. before when computers weren't as powerful or stable a self-contained, stable, all in one program would be very appealing and that is what made reason so popular amongst home users. but in 2009 now it is simply different. it's not propellerheads fault, it's just the way the market has naturally evolved.

system stability isn't really an issue anymore and as computers are getting cheaper the CPU issue isn't that big of a deal anymore. for example i run Massive, FM8 and Circle pretty easily on my laptop which is around 18 months old now and cost me around 600euro.

i also use renoise as my main sequencer and i don't think i've had a single crash. although granted renoise is known to be extremely stable.

if you go to any production forum now the general consensus, in regards to flstudio versus reason, seems to be if you're starting out don't get reason as it severely lacking when compared to flstudio, and other daws for that matter.

don't believe me? remember when record was released and propellerheads released a statement saying how they didn't want record referred to as a daw? instead it was a new and innovate way to record music. basically it looks like a daw and acts like a daw (sans plugin support) so yeah it's a daw. the reason that propellerheads don't want their products labelled as a daw but as something different is because they would then end up bottom on the totem pole of DAWs. straight from the horses mouth as they say. propellerheads are for all intents and purposes admitting that their product is inferior to the competitors on the market.

my fear for propellerheads is that they will now turn into a company that will begin to target themselves more and more at beginners instead of serious musicians. i think this was first seen in the way they marketed reason 4 as an instrument instead of a fully fledged sequencer and now it is continuing with the way they handled the release of record. the product, by itself, has a huge price and the main selling point is an SSL modeled board (and they didn't even get to use the license) and ease of use. looking at the thing as a standalone product and it looks as if it's aimed at people who want an easy way to record instruments and vocals without being overwhelmed with a wealth of options that they may not need. a basic "record"ing program if you will, although with a huge price.

i am very curious as to the direction that propellerheads go with reason 5. some of the modules in reason are rather dated when compared to counterparts that can be purchased as plugins so they will obviously have to add new stuff. they can't alter the already existing modules for backwards comparability issues, or will they just throw that completely out the window and update everything? although the true strength of reason is as a whole, i would probably only grab the malstrom if individual reason modules were offered for sale.

my fear for propellerheads is that they will just accept their fate as developers of a program that will lose relevance amongst "serious" musicians and will instead attempt to market their "stable, all-in-one, studio in a box" at beginners.

while some reason users might take that as an insult just take a look at the situation for a second. the use of plugins has become standard nowadays amongst software producers. it is fact that propellerheads cannot keep up with the quality and variety offered by third party companies developing plugins, especially at the rate that propellerheads update at!!

saying that you can rewire reason into another host and then use plugins is a moot point because at that point you are making reason the slave application and you are bypassing the use of it's sequencer and have just relegated it to a sound module. if that's the case there are softsynths and softsamplers out there that can replace what reason offers. the strength of reason is when you use it as a standalone enclosed application.

when i use reason, something i've being doing a lot more lately, that's how i use it. i don't rewire it into another program. i use it by itself. the workflow offered by reason is unique and the ease of use of the routing system makes it really enjoyable to use.

regardless people should use whatever they are comfortable and like working with. at the end of the day great music has been made using both tools, and a lot less for that matter!! saying you can only make good music on this or that is ridiculous. remember these sort of discussions are only relevant to the technical details and possibilities of each program. nobody is questioning the musicianship of anybody here just because they use a different program.

@ Deranged. I agree that some vst's and hardware sound better than Reason. They don't have the best sound engine and I can't wait til they jump on the band wagon and support full oversampling and 64bit signal paths. Some of the vst's out there are just so much higher in definition. I even hate the stock fx and mixer for most of the jobs in Reason but I could never leave it for good because of the seq and the patch loading and programming capabilities.

The reason I bring up stability is because it's easy to max out your cpu power in FL studio. It is NOT easy to do in Reason. Only loading tons of massive patches such as Reason Pianos and tons of Reverb would do that. I've seen one vst bring FL to a crashing halt.

As you know I don't believe that any software is better than another. But the goal is to get ideas out efficiently and Reason is king for me in that aspect. People that are new to beat making want something easy to use and after one session with me they see how easy Reason can be.

Honestly I could demo FL for people and get them hooked as well, but Reason does it in half the time.

Reason is a workstation, not a d.a.w. I use only Reason. My point was there are ways to do all that you wanna do for Reason but you don't need to because Reason is the same as any workstation keyboard but with far more control.

And I don't rewire to a host for vst's. I use tracked out audio. The only vst's I need is fx and I use ProTools for that anyways. Bottom line, is nothing touches the seq, and people flip when they see the workflow.

You can do everything that FL does with ProTools alone. I use Reason with ProTools. Of course FL has "more" functions, it's a full d.a.w. and Reason is just a workstation. But you don't need a full d.a.w. to make tracks. That's like saying that FL is better than a Motif. It's not, it's a completely different type of product.

Man, I've been using FL since version 3 and Reason since version 2. I know what they each do. But I still can kill anyone in FL with the workflow of Reason. It wouldn't even be a contest. The patch searching alone speeds up the workflow ridiculous compared to FL. Not to mention all of the plug-ins you would have to buy to get half the sounds that Reason has stock.

I love FL Studio. It has amazing stock fx, great step seq, and is easy to use. But it could never touch Reason in workflow.

When I get done with the tutorials, I'll post them, and then we can continue this thread.

i think you've posted a lot of personal opinion there.

if reason is a workstation, and the addition of record adds audio then the that makes it a digital audio workstation (DAW).

saying you can do everything you can do in flstudio in pro tools alone is interesting because flstudio offers a different workflow, and you seem to be singing the praise of the workflow on another particular product.

if the reason workflow is great for you then that's brilliant. you've obviously found the right product for your needs. but that doesn't mean that everybody has to agree with you. i'm sure there are many flstudio users who would kill your reason workflow ;).

i personally feel as if FL vs Reason type Threads should be erased immediately cuz all you guys do is B i t c h about which one you like better when none of that **** matters anyway....wheres that moderator guy....can youguys lock this thread please....then this ****in guy gets on here wondering who ever switched to Reason...WHY???!!!....are they gonna pay you???....like you have never been on FP before....and GST...my friend....much respect man but you are biased and you know it

nice post terror...

both fl studio and reason are two capable apps...

the only thing fl studio is lacking is "input quantizing"...

period...

i do not use fl studio but i do own a copy and it can handle allot of music production chores...

that "input quantizing" is a turn off for me...

i think all reason needs to do is add another sampler, yes another sampler, to the line up. a sampler on the lines of kontakt or EWQL Play. a sampler that can handle large sample libraries and there features (keyswitching/scripting).

these keyswitching/scripting features are the future of music production. having "that" sound is not good enough anymore. you need to add those articulations of "the" instrument. if propellerhead decides to add this type of sampler to their lineup then the game will be over...

the dr rex player should be combined/intergated with this "new" sampler (same as kontakt)...

having a sampler like the one i envision will be like having stylus rmx, omnisphere, trilian, kontakt, EWQL Play in your reason rack...

propellerhead has a chance to turn the music production scene on its ear with a concept like this...

with these powerful 64-bit machine this is basically the only way for propellerheads to go...

i personally feel as if FL vs Reason type Threads should be erased immediately cuz all you guys do is B i t c h about which one you like better when none of that **** matters anyway....wheres that moderator guy....can youguys lock this thread please....then this ****in guy gets on here wondering who ever switched to Reason...WHY???!!!....are they gonna pay you???....like you have never been on FP before....and GST...my friend....much respect man but you are biased and you know it

not biased..I used FL along time ago..been there,done that and now I can give my opinion on it..it's the MTV Generator for a more serious beatmaker..ppl have their opinions just like I have mine,just like your 'bully' statement :cheers:

I support the op 100% for the switch...I've also never heard of anybody switching from reason to FL,only thing I've seen is FL users rewiring reason into FL or leaving FL altogether but hardly,if ever, just flat out leaving reason for FL...reason gets the job done far above and beyond..if a certain VST makes or breaks your music or if going to an outside audio editor breaks your concentration,then by all means do what you have to but don't try to fault reason cuz of what you are limited to...some ppl need a state of the art kitchen just to bake a cake,while others just need a lil corner to work in and an oven

not biased..I used FL along time ago..been there,done that and now I can give my opinion on it..it's the MTV Generator for a more serious beatmaker..ppl have their opinions just like I have mine,just like your 'bully' statement :cheers:

LOL. unfortunately your opinion isn't backed up by much at all and right now it actually looks like reason is the more advanced version of MTV music generator (an easy to use, self contained program).

if you like your chosen software then use it. but when discussing which is the better option please try to refrain from flat out insulting other software because it just creates arguments.

nice post terror...

both fl studio and reason are two capable apps...

period...

i do not use fl studio but i do own a copy and it can handle allot of music production chores...

that "input quantizing" is a turn off for me...

i think all reason needs to do is add another sampler, yes another sampler, to the line up. a sampler on the lines of kontakt or EWQL Play. a sampler that can handle large sample libraries and there features (keyswitching/scripting).

these keyswitching/scripting features are the future of music production. having "that" sound is not good enough anymore. you need to add those articulations of "the" instrument. if propellerhead decides to add this type of sampler to their lineup then the game will be over...

the dr rex player should be combined/intergated with this "new" sampler (same as kontakt)...

having a sampler like the one i envision will be like having stylus rmx, omnisphere, trilian, kontakt, EWQL Play in your reason rack...

propellerhead has a chance to turn the music production scene on its ear with a concept like this...

with these powerful 64-bit machine this is basically the only way for propellerheads to go...

very interesting post.

but i am wondering will propellerheads actually create a new sampler. it sounds like a great idea but like i said before if propellerheads have decided to forego serious competition with other music production software then i can't really see the development and implementation of another high quality sampler being integrated within reason. the reason i say that is because there are many reason users who praise the NNXT very highly and propellerheads may feel that it does not need updating.

LOL. unfortunately your opinion isn't backed up by much at all and right now it actually looks like reason is the more advanced version of MTV music generator (an easy to use, self contained program).

if you like your chosen software then use it. but when discussing which is the better option please try to refrain from flat out insulting other software because it just creates arguments.

another opinion not backed by much if any at all..matter of fact,it comes of like tit for tat..like childish phrase 'I know you are but what am I?' lol

but I mean,nobody should be taking anything as a personal attack anyway..if you are,not my fault

@ Deranged. I agree that some vst's and hardware sound better than Reason. They don't have the best sound engine and I can't wait til they jump on the band wagon and support full oversampling and 64bit signal paths. Some of the vst's out there are just so much higher in definition. I even hate the stock fx and mixer for most of the jobs in Reason but I could never leave it for good because of the seq and the patch loading and programming capabilities.

The reason I bring up stability is because it's easy to max out your cpu power in FL studio. It is NOT easy to do in Reason. Only loading tons of massive patches such as Reason Pianos and tons of Reverb would do that. I've seen one vst bring FL to a crashing halt.

As you know I don't believe that any software is better than another. But the goal is to get ideas out efficiently and Reason is king for me in that aspect. People that are new to beat making want something easy to use and after one session with me they see how easy Reason can be.

Honestly I could demo FL for people and get them hooked as well, but Reason does it in half the time.

Yeah, I always look like I'm siding in these threads from defending both products(I'm the same guy who told people the entire production can be done in reason standalone). The entire time I used Reason, FL was on my computer. Just because I "switched back" to FL does not mean Reason isn't still here as well.

I don't own Recycle or Record. So sampling and adding simple stuff like a guitar riff can become tedious. I completely agree with the analogy of comparing a motif to FL studio, because that's exactly how I look at reason.

Does a Workstation keyboard have more capabilities, better sounds and effects than a DAW? Absolutely not.

Does a Workstation Keyboard give you everything you need to make a professional production? Absolutely.

To clarify what I was saying, I just spent the last month day in and out in Reason. Finished a project and wanted a break from it. Busted out my Triton Rack, reinstalled some vstis, and got to work in a new enviroment for a while. When I'm tired of this, may go get my MPC2kxl back from my cousin and use only that to make beats for a few months. Then I may start doing everything in Pro Tools or Sonar(have actually never enjoyed either of those workflows). My setup is always changing, not saying anything is inferior. For me right now, the workflow of Reason has become repeditive.

That's not to say 2 months from now I won't miss it and be back on it. :cheers:

period...

Change the "snap from "Line" or "Cell" to 1/4beat(1/16 quantizing on input).

Your'e welcome. Now it lacks nothing. :cheers:

Another sidenote...load multitimbral vstis into an FX channel on your mixer so when you route it to midi outs you can still audition and play sounds from channels using your keyboard while scrolling the presets on the vsti(It'll make sense once you try it).

One last sidenote...MTV Music Generator is alot like Reason. It samples from audio CDs as well, so...:rolleyes: saying something is like MTV Music generatior for Playstation should in no way be considered a "diss' Music Generator is a dope peice of software. You ain't gotta beleive me, but even Timbaland was on to that shyt. I jumped from Gemni Samplers, MC-303s, SR 16s, Fostex Multitracks and Yamaha DJX IIs to that and improved my quality by noticeable multitudes. MTV Music Generator changed my life as a producer!:cheers:

Last edited:
another opinion not backed by much if any at all..matter of fact,it comes of like tit for tat..like childish phrase 'I know you are but what am I?' lol

but I mean,nobody should be taking anything as a personal attack anyway..if you are,not my fault

reason is a standalone application that does not allow for plugins. you can only use what you get in the box from day one. this is direct contrast to something like flstudio that allows for plugins, and there endless expandability.

that is why i say that reason, not flstudio, is more like a super mtv music generator on steroids.

btw comparing either program to mtv music generator is absolutely ridiculous.

Back