Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ableton Live vs Fruity Loops - Ableton Wins

phatpat is offline Soldier Member

Ableton Live vs Fruity Loops - Ableton Wins

Sign in to disable this ad
    I've used both - btw fully functional demos are available on their respective websites. Heres my opinion:

Interface: Ableton Live has a cleaner look and is more intuitive to use.

Virtual Instruments: Fruity Loops has more instruments, but Ableton comes with gigs of professional sampled sounds eg. real acoustic piano, jazz guitar, violins etc.

Sampling: In Ableton you can chop up a sample and add the individual slices to Impulse - the built in drum machine - and then trigger the parts using a midi controller, very similar to Fruity Loops.

Effects: You get your usual EQs, compressors, and reverbs in both programs - however in Live the way you set up the effects is much more fun, using a rack like system.

Workflow: This is where Ableton Live blows away the competition and what its famous for. It quite a unique setup where samples, loops, midi data are triggered from a set of stacked vertical cells, and this then recorded (real time if you want) onto the traditional horizontal sequencing grid.
    Last edited by phatpat; 05-11-2007 at 02:49 PM.

Musique Unique is offline Registered User
    I have some friends who swear by Ableton Live. When I first saw it I was a bit turned off by the cartoonish look it has to it, but you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. I know DJ's who use it for making remixes, as well as using it for perfomances.

Fruity Loops, from what I've heard is a very good entry level program that can do most of what the other ones can do.

BenL is offline Insane FP Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by phatpat
    I've used both - btw the fully functionally demos are available on their respective websites. Heres my opinion:

Interface: Ableton Live has a cleaner look and is more intuitive to use.

Virtual Instruments: Fruity Loops has more instruments, but Ableton comes with gigs of professional sampled sounds eg. real acoustic piano, jazz guitar, violins etc.

Sampling: In Ableton you can chop up a sample and add the individual slices to Impulse - the built in drum machine - and then trigger the parts using a midi controller, very similar to Fruity Loops.

Effects: You get your usual EQs, compressors, and reverbs in both programs - however in Live the way you set up the effects is much more fun, using a rack like system.

Workflow: This is where Ableton Live blows away the competition and what its famous for. It quite a unique setup where samples, loops, midi data are triggered from a set of stacked vertical cell, and this then recorded (real time if you want) onto the traditional horizontal sequencing grid.

In a few minutes, people are going to knock you out.

ALOT (TOO MANY) people on this site use frutiy loops, be careful when you hate on it or say something is better.

I have FL but i dont like it. i think it takes more than 1 computer program to be a producer...

But I hear what your saying...

bluchippa5 is offline Registered User
    first off, you are the first person to actually like the sounds(i guess you're talking about the EIC) that come with live...everything else you said though was on point, except the knock or comparison with fruity loops...two different programs that have different approaches to the same end...you can be successful with both...ur entitled to your opinion but, i wouldn't call it the law...by the way, i use ableton myself...

DJ X-MAN is offline Registered User
    In my honest lil opinion I think FL studio works more like Pro Tools, Cubase, Logic, etc...so for that fact a newbie would be able to work with other programs easier later on down the line. That doesn't mean that Pro Tools, Cubase, Logic etc...are better than Live or FL, but are more common when gigging or doin collabs outside of your lab. I tried Ableton and really just didn't like it, I'm not Scott Storch or anything, but since we are giving out opinions and whatnot, I feel that Ableton is ok, but I feel fruity has more of a common workflow than Ableton and like I said, when you have to work outside your lab, it's gonna be an easier transition...my .02
    Last edited by DJ X-MAN; 05-11-2007 at 01:39 PM.
    The World Most Hated DJ
    Cubase 4-TASCAM FW1082-Motif ES Rack-ROKIT8's-Reason 4.0-FL9-Sample Tank-Sonik Synth-PH Record-MC505-Serato-Recycle 2.1-2 CDJ1000
    http://www.myspace.com/oldskoolproductions
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v718/djxman/logo.jpg

youngjboy Guest
    The Lite version of Live came with my soudcard as well as Sonar LE and Cubase LE. Out of the 3 i Liked Cubase LE the best and Ableton the least for what i do. To me, it didn't seem as equipped to sequence hardware

Mattman04 is offline Kit Ramsey's brother
    Keep in mind when someone crowns a specific sequencer as the champ they are speaking only for themselves, and thier personal workflow.
    Everyone has workflow of thier own, and thats why every sequencer has a differant approach.

OriginalHeadz is offline Senior Member
    How about Maturity Vs. Immaturity...
    Maturity wins.
    Current Rig...
    FL Studio 7 - Fruityloops Edition
    Audacity Sampler/Recorder

Wish List...
    Boss SP 303
    Stanton T.60 Turntables

xtrordinare is offline Registered User
    when i bought my axiom there was a bundled version of abelton live 6 or something, still havent popped in that disc

biggrome is offline Insane FP Patriot
    I wish Ableton was the first program I had learned how to use to make music...

It's the last one I'll use. Ableton fits my workflow like no other.
    [LEFT][SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/bigg-rome/they-way-i-am-remix[/SOUNDCLOUD]
    [QUOTE=Dr. Dre]Biggrome...that's one badddd mutha shut cho mouth![/QUOTE]
    [/LEFT]

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information