Ableton Live vs Cubase

Lol Stone, now you're just being nitpicky. Maybe I'm the only one but I can EASILY distinguish between audio and midi and Reason tracks in Live. First of all it tells you exactly what kind of track it is at the top. It takes you all but two seconds to rename that channel anyway to get even more specific. Also, Reasons instruments are easily identifiable by their actual names in their respective drop down menus. You sure you use Live??

And in my first post it was just merely my opinion that if the original poster was to go the Cubase route, Cubase LE would be more than adequate to fulfill his needs. No need to go to Sx or 4 or Cubase 5 XL Platinum Plus Deluxe Edition with the 250gb Dvd expansion kit (or whatever the hell they got now).

Live is a better host for Reason, period! my bad, i meant to say the best host! if you have any questions about Live or Reason, i'd be glad to answer them.
LevLove

Obitheincredible said:
Don't fear the reaper....
i like Reaper, i think i'll plug in my thumb drive and play with it after i get done with a session i'm doin.
LevLove

Last edited:
kidgorgeous said:
Lol Stone, now you're just being nitpicky. Maybe I'm the only one but I can EASILY distinguish between audio and midi and Reason tracks in Live. First of all it tells you exactly what kind of track it is at the top. It takes you all but two seconds to rename that channel anyway to get even more specific. Also, Reasons instruments are easily identifiable by their actual names in their respective drop down menus. You sure you use Live??

And in my first post it was just merely my opinion that if the original poster was to go the Cubase route, Cubase LE would be more than adequate to fulfill his needs. No need to go to Sx or 4 or Cubase 5 XL Platinum Plus Deluxe Edition with the 250gb Dvd expansion kit (or whatever the hell they got now).

LOL you guys are amazing. You've completely forgotten the reason for the thread and are off on some tangent talking about nothing. Let me make my simple point once more. If you want to dispute this then please do so. Otherwise, what's the point of all this talk?

Here are my simple points:

You have 1 program (Cubase)which does much of the work for you automatically, requires far fewer steps, and has an automatic color coding system to help the user in "quickly" identifying things. The other program (Live)has no such creature comforts or automatic anything. If you or anyone else wants to dispute this then please go ahead. Otherwise, I'm done and I'll let everyone decide for themselves if "Live is better than Cubase for rewire".

I'm not gonna comment anything about Cubase, because I honestly don't really know about it these days...the last version I've used (briefly) was SX 1.

But as for Live - it uses an unified logic and interface for all the routing possibilities, whether it's ReWire, an external effect or a synth, or a mic or a VST. Whether or not there's more "steps" to hooking up a Reason device than in Cubase, I think it's hard to argue that Live's system would be complicated - it's extremely straightforward, imo; and if you can route a mic into a track, you can use ReWire as well because they all work just the same. That's the beauty of it.

The color-coding is a valid argument to some extent - if you find it difficult to tell the difference between MIDI and audio tracks in Live, so be it. This is the first time I've heard this complaint, but agreed - it wouldn't hurt to extend the clip color coding to encompass tracks as well. Then again, this would by all logic mean that scenes should be colorizable as well, which would lead to a crisscross of a mess :D

I'm pretty sure this has been discussed in the Ableton HQ :)

I think if you are working with large amounts of midi and audio parts Cubase is the way to go. As far as i understand, live does not support advance midi and audio editing functions. Cubase on the other hand has so many editing functions and capabilities.

But as far as simplicity goes, Live is very fun to use. Easy to understand. And gr8 if you're working with lots of samples/loops. Just throw them in there and do what ever you like. But as mentioned above if you're using a lot of instruments and create complex melodies which creates a lot of midi data and audio parts. i don't think live is very user friendly in that area. For example: If you use 16 instruments from miroslav philharmonic VSTi and want to group those channels and put them in to a single folder and edit them..Live mixer and sequencer will look so much messier than cubase and make it hard to continue working. And This won't be the only instrument u use of course. throw battery in there and the individual tracks for each pad, plus vocals and all other stuff..live will make things very harder. Am i right? or have i got this completely wrong?

So it really comes down to how you like to make music right? as usual.

Im just writting my own experience..not trying to argue with anyone or hate or do anything of that nature..peace :)

Last edited:
Live just farted in Cubase's face and dared it to do something...

LevLover said:
Live is a better host for Reason, period! my bad, i meant to say the best host! if you have any questions about Live or Reason, i'd be glad to answer them.
LevLove

i like Reaper, i think i'll plug in my thumb drive and play with it after i get done with a session i'm doin.
LevLove

can i upload my own sounds in live and program tracks i.e i have a hard drive with about 20g of sounds and drums some sounds are in wav. format and i wonder if i can play my sounds normally on a midi keyboard

chynahman said:
can i upload my own sounds in live and program tracks i.e i have a hard drive with about 20g of sounds and drums some sounds are in wav. format and i wonder if i can play my sounds normally on a midi keyboard
the short answer, is a simple yes. http://www.ableton.com/movies check out the vids for drum racks and playing with software instruments, should shed some light.
LevLove

I use Live for DJ work. Cubase LE & Live Lite come free with some equipment eg keyboards, Midi controllers so maybe add something you've wanted to your studio? I run PT for the big projects.

Back