Ableton Drum Mapping

ABSiNT

To hear all my drum sounds play at once and create diff patterns without interrupting my workflow, I've basically been throwing a custom Drum Rack on one clip. The problem with this method is adding effects on individual sounds (i.e. a little reverb on the snare, etc.) I also notice simple things like controlling volume tend to be disabled.

What is the best way to achieve what I am trying to do? Assign each individual sound to a different clip?

If I could get the workflow of Reason's Redrum in Ableton without having to Rewire, it would be perfect.

Putting effects on individual sounds can be done by dropping it on the pad (doubleclick on the pad if the simplerinstrument isnt shown, the effect should appear behind it). However if you want to sends, I dont think that is possible. If you expand the track, showing all the "subtracks" for the various pads, you can right click the subtrack you want, select "extract chain", and it will form a new track.

Controlling the volume of a sound isnt disable if I understand you correctly, it should be mapped to a macro. If that is the case you can unmap it by right clicking the paramter and selecting "unmap from....".

Unfortunately I dont know redrum, so I cant help you there :)

You can also have sends within a Drum Rack (there are buttons on the left hand side just like those in the main mixer area to show/hide the i/o, sends, returns, etc.), but you can't have individual DR sounds sent into your regular main aux tracks. The Drum Rack submixer can control individual sounds, and of course if you're just dropping samples on the DR, you can control their volume from the Simpler as well (but of course as you can drop just about anything on a DR pad, this isn't "universal").

Back