DAW for hobby, non-professional use?

S

Sylenth89

Hello :)
I am new here so I do not know if I am putting this post in correct forum, please excuse me if I'm wrong.

I'm new to music production and I am little bit of a late starter. Almost 25 years old. Never had an experience before with music production, except eJay and Music software for PC and PS respectively. But that are games practically XD So what I want to ask is which DAW would you suggest to me for hobby, non-professional use. So, no vocalists, no studio, no mixer board... Only my trustworthy and powerful PC, M-Audio Oxygen 49 MIDI keyboard, headphones, mouse and PC keyboard :P Well, to be honest, I cycled pretty much every DAW that exists, and could not decide still which is best. I heard FL Studio is best for hobby use and that it is easiest. But I had a fight with my MIDI keyboard and the software so I turned to Ableton Live 9. It has integrated software for my MIDI Oxygen. And btw I enrolled on course of Electronic Music Production in my local city. I'm from Croatia, so there aren't many choices :P They use Ableton, but to me it looks intimidating. A hell lot of functions and I wonder if it's easy to use and is it right choice since I won't (99% probably) sell my music. And to be honest it is damn hard to sell music. But anyway, I'm not going any further in investing in gear than my MIDI keyboard which I payed 150$. So no expensive stuff. I see no point in it, 'cause I do not know to play guitar or drums, and I do not have studio so no expensive gear needed. Something like in-the-box producing. Please help me, because I'm lost really. What should I choose? That is beginner friendly, but can be used to produce quality music. Because it is my only hobby and I'm serious about it.

Thank you for every your answer :) Kind regards,

Sylenth89

Hello :)
I am new here so I do not know if I am putting this post in correct forum, please excuse me if I'm wrong.

I'm new to music production and I am little bit of a late starter. Almost 25 years old. Never had an experience before with music production, except eJay and Music software for PC and PS respectively. But that are games practically XD So what I want to ask is which DAW would you suggest to me for hobby, non-professional use. So, no vocalists, no studio, no mixer board... Only my trustworthy and powerful PC, M-Audio Oxygen 49 MIDI keyboard, headphones, mouse and PC keyboard :P Well, to be honest, I cycled pretty much every DAW that exists, and could not decide still which is best. I heard FL Studio is best for hobby use and that it is easiest. But I had a fight with my MIDI keyboard and the software so I turned to Ableton Live 9. It has integrated software for my MIDI Oxygen. And btw I enrolled on course of Electronic Music Production in my local city. I'm from Croatia, so there aren't many choices :P They use Ableton, but to me it looks intimidating. A hell lot of functions and I wonder if it's easy to use and is it right choice since I won't (99% probably) sell my music. And to be honest it is damn hard to sell music. But anyway, I'm not going any further in investing in gear than my MIDI keyboard which I payed 150$. So no expensive stuff. I see no point in it, 'cause I do not know to play guitar or drums, and I do not have studio so no expensive gear needed. Something like in-the-box producing. Please help me, because I'm lost really. What should I choose? That is beginner friendly, but can be used to produce quality music. Because it is my only hobby and I'm serious about it.

Thank you for every your answer :) Kind regards,

Sylenth89

1. It can't be a hobby AND be something you're serious about. Either you're serious or it's a hobby.
2. Everything is intimidating in the beginning. When we were babies, walking was intimidating but through repetition and persistence we made it.
3. The only thing you need is your computer and your mouse. A midi keyboard is a plus, but hits have been made with trash equipment.
4. If you want to make "Quality" music then you'd better be in for the long run. Read Malcom Gladwell's "Outliers" or Robert Greene's "Mastery". 10,000 hours to be a master at any profession.

So you can't go into this as a hobby and yet something you take "serious". If you're serious you'll be around for however long it takes to learn and you'll put up with all the techy crap that no one wants to listen to. If not then find another hobby.

Last edited:
1. It can't be a hobby AND be something you're serious about. Either you're serious or it's a hobby.

So you can't go into this as a hobby and yet something you take "serious". If you're serious you'll be around for however long it takes to learn and you'll put up with all the techy crap that no one wants to listen to. If not then find another hobby.

I disagree, musicproduction is supposed to be fun. It starts as a hobby, but then evolves more and more seriously, but you still do it because you think it's great fun.
Some then prefer to switch software to something they feel is more serious, while others stick to their software that they used in the beginning when it was all a hobby (maybe upgrade it to a more advanced version of it), and make as good music as those who switched software.
It's not about what software on the computer that counts, but the person sitting in front of it.
But that's just me...

To the point..
While reading OP's post I just sat here thinking cubase....cubase....cubase....
Many "hobbymusicians" use it, and still, many professionals use it as well. It seem to have many different lighter versions, and as far as I've noticed, it should be quite easy to upgrade it as you evolve.
I've only used it for like 2 hours while I was at a friend's place, but it looked quite nice and easy to maneuver.

Zemljace, drago mi je sto te vidin tu.

No daw is easy to learn. For electronic music purposes Ableton and FL are best, especially when you are already learning Ableton in school.

you could get an m audio fast track that comes with small version of ableton. for 100 dollars.

You might only have 10 tracks to work with but its great for learning.

I disagree, musicproduction is supposed to be fun. It starts as a hobby, but then evolves more and more seriously, but you still do it because you think it's great fun.
Some then prefer to switch software to something they feel is more serious, while others stick to their software that they used in the beginning when it was all a hobby (maybe upgrade it to a more advanced version of it), and make as good music as those who switched software.
It's not about what software on the computer that counts, but the person sitting in front of it.
But that's just me...

To the point..
While reading OP's post I just sat here thinking cubase....cubase....cubase....
Many "hobbymusicians" use it, and still, many professionals use it as well. It seem to have many different lighter versions, and as far as I've noticed, it should be quite easy to upgrade it as you evolve.
I've only used it for like 2 hours while I was at a friend's place, but it looked quite nice and easy to maneuver.

If you think Cubase is easier and is meant for a hobbyist/bedroom musician then you need to either check your facts or get more experience under your belt. I've had to use Cubase exclusively for a year and a half and if the OP thinks Ableton is intimidating then he needs to stay away from Cubase. Unless he goes for Elements or at most Artist he is going to be bombarded with features and tools meant for people that are scoring for film/video games or really over-the-top and professional music productions. Most people that own the full version of Cubase aren't even aware of half the things that software is capable of.

Cubase does have a good workflow and dare I say godlike features but it is definitely overkill for your average "hobbyist".

Last edited:
I'm not saying it's meant for hobbyists, but it has lighter versions of it that are very often used by hobbyists (coincidence? I think not), and they manage to deal with it pretty well.
I bet it was one of the lighter versions that I got the chance to test a little (obviously), and it felt like something that was perfect for hobbyists.
It's nice to hear that Cubase has very advanced features, however, I don't think the OP should worry about it since he probably won't get the full version of it.

Thank you guys for your answers :) I read all twice :P

PekoTheProducer I meni je drago da nas još ima :) Koji ti koristiš?

Anyway, I think I shall stick with Ableton, like Peko said, for my situation it is probably best solution. You can learn FL for 10000 hours, you can learn Cubase 10000 hours, and you'll get similar results. It's the one who stands behind the screen that counts, not the software alone or all those gadgets. I like Ableton mostly because my Oxygen integrates like a piece of cake with it. And MIDI learn is absolutely something to laugh of simplicity. Turn MIDI learn and turn the knob and VOILA :D I was huge fan of Studio One but when nightmare of setting up Oxygen started I gave up :P What I just want to know is following: Can Ableton be software for use with minimum investment. (except software ofc) I mean, no MIDI interfaces, guitars, 100 cables and expensive microphones and 10k $ worth mixing board, two monitors etc. So is it possible to enjoy it and make music with minimum investment?

Tnx :)

:victory:
Here's one that I recommeded to a friend in a similar situation....it's called IGNITE Music Creation Software by AIR Music Technology whom makes VSTi's for Avid Pro Tools. Plus, you can import the files to Ableton's Live and other DAW's......and it's FREE!

Last edited:
ill give you a quick response. I used fruity loops on my pc and i loved it and i thought was easy to use. i moved over to mac and jumped on to ableton i thought it was intimidating but hopped on youtube watched some videos and with some practice I find it just as easy or easier then fl

Back