Cubase 5 - Synthesized audio becomes distorted after 62 bars

trevbot

I have been working with Cubase 5 for some time now, and have not encountered this problem before:

I have a GrooveAgent track, a Prologue and a Monologue in the playback.
When the playback reaches bar 63, the audio starts to distort.
This happens no matter where I start playback (beginning, halfway, right at the 63rd bar).
Everything prior to that spot plays perfectly.
I have tried removing the Monologue and Prologue tracks, and the GrooveAgent plays fine alone. When I add either of the other tracks (or both) it distorts again.

This is very puzzling to me. It doesn't make sense to me that it would distort only (consistently) at that specific place. I would very much appreciate some light shed on this.

I should mention that I have made many other projects longer than this without a problem.

The issue is that the sound will not be distorted if you were to render it - the distortion is down to a high load on the cpu processing the vstis in real time.

I can suggest that at bar 63 there is a sudden increase in
  • note density - number of notes being played
  • automation density - number of automation commands being processed
  • both of the above

Check and confirm or deny.

then consider freezing tracks whilst still working on the project and unfreeze for final mix/rendering.......

To begin, the note density is actually identical between bar 62 and 63. Which is why I was so confused to begin with.

I then thought it might have something to do with the delay effect on one of the tracks (as in, it had been echoing onto itself so many times that the CPU went bonkers) but that shouldn't make a difference unless I had been playing the track since the beginning, right? Or am I wrong there?

I guess the important thing is that the final product will sound fine. It would be nice to be able to add the vocals to this without muting tracks, but c'est la vie. I guess I should just break down and get a better PC.

---------- Post added at 10:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:19 PM ----------

Well, this may seem silly, but I zoomed out (G/H keys) and it stopped distorting.

Back