Bouncing stems. The most effecient way for my mixing engineer?

bouncecouncil

Im new to house and sending out stems for mixing engineers. For the life of me, I can't mix synths, so I'm going to be contracting outside mixing engineers to do the dirty. Now, before I print each track lane, I have a few questions for mixing engineers in hopes to optimize the time it takes one to mix down my songs:

1) Side chain compression synths: for the pumping synths activated by the kick, should I apply the SCC to each synth and print each on its own stem or should I leave their levels unaffected and let the engineer have at it?

2) Daft punk band pass, hpf, and lpf effects:
During intros and bridges, ill bandpass, lp, or, hp a synth (similar to daft punk's Ino Silver Club)). Will applying this technique to my stems affect a mixing engineer's ability to eq said tracks?

3) Reverb - Wet in, Dry out:
Avicii and similar "good feeling house" producers use a technique where just before a phrase-change or at the end of a buildup, they'll lower the volume of a synth's dry while raising its reverb. It gives off the effect that a synth is moving deeper/ farther away into it's reverb. Is it better to send the wet stem and dry stem separately or combine them for an overall eq'ng to be done by mixing engineer.

And finally

4) Shared reverbs, shared delays, shared doubler sends... and their stems:
If I use one reverb plugin to create subtle ambience reverb for gelling together my percussions, is it better to A) print stems for each instrument, then a reverb stem for each instrument; or B) print stems for each instrument, then print one reverb stem containing all the percussions' rvb send.
And if a synth pluck has a delay track, do I print both as one stem. Or do I print wet and dry separately (i ask this, thinking the engineer may later need to chop up the delay stem to maybe adjust their pan widths)

Very creative with the language of music. Very noob with the science of mixing. Appreciate your wisdoms.

Hey man

1) Side chain compression synths: for the pumping synths activated by the kick, should I apply the SCC to each synth and print each on its own stem or should I leave their levels unaffected and let the engineer have at it?
Im from the to do something right do it yourself camp - if you are confident with sidechaining you should do it, because creatively only you will know what you really want, however if you are not confident with sidechaining, ask the engineer to do it for you.

2) Daft punk band pass, hpf, and lpf effects:
During intros and bridges, ill bandpass, lp, or, hp a synth (similar to daft punk's Ino Silver Club)). Will applying this technique to my stems affect a mixing engineer's ability to eq said tracks?
Let the engineer do it, they might have some real sweet analog eq's.

3) Reverb - Wet in, Dry out:
Avicii and similar "good feeling house" producers use a technique where just before a phrase-change or at the end of a buildup, they'll lower the volume of a synth's dry while raising its reverb. It gives off the effect that a synth is moving deeper/ farther away into it's reverb. Is it better to send the wet stem and dry stem separately or combine them for an overall eq'ng to be done by mixing engineer.
Ideally I would recommend sending(at the required level) to a separate channel with a reverb - you can at this point automate either the direct paramaters of the reverb plugin, or the sends or the reverb volume etc etc

And finally

4) Shared reverbs, shared delays, shared doubler sends... and their stems:
If I use one reverb plugin to create subtle ambience reverb for gelling together my percussions, is it better to A) print stems for each instrument, then a reverb stem for each instrument; or B) print stems for each instrument, then print one reverb stem containing all the percussions' rvb send.
And if a synth pluck has a delay track, do I print both as one stem. Or do I print wet and dry separately (i ask this, thinking the engineer may later need to chop up the delay stem to maybe adjust their pan widths)
If you have the time + upload bandwidth + can be bothered + not charged per track, separate is always better - just in case the engineer needs more options

hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Back