Anyone out there still use ACID?

Dizmolical

Your probably going to laugh and that is just fine but does anyone still use ACID PRO as a main DAW?

No not Lysergic acid diethylamide, Sony Acid Pro.

I've been using it for 10 years and have recently gotten back into producing. As I see it, it's completely outdated and virtually abandoned by Sony, and it's a real pain to not have 64bit VSTI support or midi to vsti effect support and primitive effect enveloping, but I think ACID it is still to this day just an amazing program. I tried to switch to ableton a few years back but allways found myself back in ACID as it's functionality, simplicity, and beatmapping/time streaching capabilities are very good and easy to use. I have any incredible amount of freedom and precision and my workflow is obviously excellent as I know it like the inside of my palm ;)

Im worried it could be a sticking point in my development as a producer, and hinder my learning and capabilities. I've always believed it doesn't really matter how you get there so long as you get there, but am I really missing out alot by not using Ableton, Protool ect..?

There are work around for some flaws of Acid Pro like using bidule ect.. but they're undeniably tedious.

i use sony acid 10 if that help and i love it. It gives me the free range to make the mix to my liking and chop or sample something into the beat.

i recommend 10 if you don't have it, if it just like pro then continue to make music history sir/ m'am

Try changing your screen color on Ableton Live in preferences. You'll find ease of workflow, sun.
I dont think the color of his screen is what hes basing the decision off of lol.

With that being said, the stuff you mentioned about ACID is pretty easily done in ableton as well. Its just about learning it and then it wont matter (but if thats the case id personally go with pro tools, but ableton sounds better for you considering you dont know either of them)

As far as missing out by not going with a more 'popular daw'..I dont know acid, but im assuming it is pretty substandard compared to todays software. So yes you probably are missing out on stuff. But you dont need any of that stuff. You already know you can do everything you want in acid, but yes you probably are missing out on some new stuff.

never used it as a daw but used it a lot for audio editing and recording dj mixes, i read somewhere that reaper is supposedly like a modern version of acid so it might be worth checking out.

acid pro was the mainstay for me for a good while. unfortunately the way that sony have gone about absolutely killing it i do not use it any more. the one huge letdown for me was the midi implementation, probably the most lackluster attempt i have seen and only strengthens my convistion that sony's only real intent with buying this was to kill it. it's sad, but the world spins on and, as has already been pointed out, everything that was innovative in acid is now absorbed into every other daw you care to mention...
i still use soundforge it''s always been my editor of choice since day one but anything related to software with sony's name on it, i avoid it completely.
acid is dead, long live acid etc...

Audition is so much better than Soundforge.Soundforge is not 64 Bit. It doesn't work with Windows 8.1 update. It needs a Face Lift.

if you good at using interfaces, it pays off in the end, if you learn all the hotkeys you can go set up stuff so quick, and your friends will be amazed cause people new to computers are better off with something simple but powerful like fruity. i have acid on my computer, i even remember i had the first one ages ago when i was about 15, and i first thought it was for hip hop, but that wasnt true. the in vol out vol distortion function kicks ass, sounds like an out of tune fm radio.. make some really nasty sounds with it.

Ive got acid (i like just using it like dance EJ, just relaxing and enjoying the sony acid loops, it seems lame, but its fun, and you get to reorganize all the beats, i swear its still original music.),fruity and rebirth. the 808 on rebirth tricks anyone, that its not just a digital replica, i heard roland wanted to sue them on wikipedia they did too much of a good job. rebirth for flavour, fruity for power, and acid for relaxing and enjoying. (or learning extreme editing skills... :))

Heck yes,
Acid is my go-to DAW, no other other DAW i've used has been as versatile when it comes to chopping and manipulating samples. I love to hear how other people use acid. If anyone wants to share some of their work, post something, I'd love to listen. -Fat Kneel

Back