Ableton vs Logic

robgambla

Wussup!

For Hiphop production... Logic or Live and why?

have no exp. yet so want to choose the right one..

thanks !!

Last edited:
I've always loved ableton live. It's just cleaner, and more organized than logic to me... All of the folder navigation is done from the same screen you do everything else. Also the stock midi instruments are great!

Last edited:
I've always loved ableton live. It's just cleaner, and more organized than logic to me... All of the folder navigation is done from the same screen you do everything else. Also the stock midi instruments are great!

i am going to buy a midi controller.. akai mini i suppose ... soo.. do u use one? If so, how is it workin' wit Live ?

thanks

I have a Akai Mpk 25 and it works PERFECTLY. while some stuff with work right out the box, the midi mapping in ableton is SUPER easy. You just turn on midi mapping and then you click the thing you would like to control with the mouse, then move the thing on the midi controller you want to assign it to... its the best

Ableton is great, Logic is a little too back and forth if you catch my drift. Ableton is a lot more bendable, you can manipulate more and create more.

i am going to buy a midi controller.. akai mini i suppose ... soo.. do u use one? If so, how is it workin' wit Live ?

thanks

If you do buy one, make sure you get a versatile one. I remember the first one I got was an Akai MPD... and it was really only good for creating drum beats, nothing more.

Last edited:
i don't know, i always hated ableton live for the fact that it takes so long to programm drums and up sounds, and the quantization is horrible, logic is great for mixing and all, but i only have windows so i wouldn't know for sure

i don't know, i always hated ableton live for the fact that it takes so long to programm drums and up sounds, and the quantization is horrible, logic is great for mixing and all, but i only have windows so i wouldn't know for sure

How are you programming your drums in ableton? If you use the drum rack its insanely easy, same with quantizing. I love ableton for being a program that is incredibly easy to learn. Of course I learned Pro Tools and Logic before trying out Ableton so that probably helped alot.

But to answer the original question, its what ever works best for you. Right now im using ableton for production and logic for some mixing and maybe a little mastering. Also I use Logic if im creating sound fx. I try to not get into a war over what program is best. They are all tools and its a matter of what tool works best for you.

I also have a MPK 25 and it already has a preset for ableton as well as many other DAW's so that is awesome but the sad thing is that it doesnt have one for logic. but atleast you can create your own to work with logic seamlessly.

Quantizing is easy as it gets. Its the same amount of steps like anything else. Record your sloppy drums, choose your grid measurement, then quantize. Ctrl+U.

Even programming drums are cake. Really you just use a lower grid resolution and look at the position. Daw 101 stuff.
If you know how to use it and you make a workflow that works for you...you'll be happy.

The focus isn't the beat, but how fast it could be done if you know what your doing.

Last edited:
ya id definitely recommend ableton over logic. logic has a really solid set of stock sounds that comes with it, but i think the workflow in ableton is better

It's a matter of personal taste coz both will work just as well. Watch some YouTube videos of both and see if you prefer the Interface, Workflow, etc. As Cyko said, pick one and go.

Last edited:
In my workgroup we discuss often this topic. I say what i always will say, try to work with both DAW´s and choose ur favourite.

I use logic. It's pretty straight forward.. just an ugly, slightly more complicated version of Garageband. For the things I didn't know how to do, I found the answer on youtube.
I've tried Ableton and couldn't get into it. I think It's because I'd been using garageband/logic for so long.

---------- Post added at 02:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 AM ----------

Oh, and I use an Axiom midi controller. The directlink works pretty flawlessly w/ it. a few annoyances here and there, but overall it does what I need it to.

Either one would do the job just pick one and go

^^^ This right here. No software is better at producing a specific genre of music than the next. Just pick one and start making music. I'm a hardcore Ableton Live user, I swear by that software but only because I "get" the workflow and I'm super fast with it.

BUT...

I will admit that Apple lowering the price of Logic Pro to only $199 is freaking amazing. That is an insanely low price for an industry standard DAW that's helped produce tons of hit songs.

Last edited:
I prefer logic...but that comes down to what layout you prefer. Do yourself a favour and download both demos to see what one suits your workflow. Cheers

No demo for logic... I use ableton and I love it. From my experience, ableton was built more around producing electronic music, whereas logic is geared more towards mixing and recording live instruments.

i like logic better because its a more traditional and familiar look and setup, coming from cool edit and sonar.
ableton has some dope features and beautiful sounds but it took me a while to not feel overwhelmed moving around in it

Last edited:
i have been using logic for a while and i love it, but my friends use ableton and love it too. So honestly its up to you

Back