Ableton Live 9: How to make multiple patterns?

Rick Deckard

I made a loop on Session View and then recorded it into Arrangement View. I thought that by doing it I would then be able to erase te instruments from SV and creata new loop, or alterations of the first, while still having the original loop. But when I make changes to the original loop they manifest on AV, therefore I no cant erase the instruments. So, I need help on how to make multiple patterns. I know I can expand the numbers of bars of the loop but then I would have to duplicate a lot and I think thats inefficient.

Session view is designed to make your initial scenes (what you call patterns) and then record your changes (switching of scenes) into Arrangement View. If then, you want to take some of those changes you made and make it a new scene in Sessions View, select your desired area in Arrangement, then drag it into sessions view. You have to hit the tab key after you start dragging to switch the view. Thats it!

Last edited:
This doesn't sound right. If you put a clip from session view into arrangement view, it will stay that way no matter how much you fiddle around with the original clip in session view. Obviously you can't erase the instrument that is associated with the track you previously recorded your midi clip into arrangement view. You'd still have the midi information on arrangement view, but your initial sound would be lost. The post above explains how to use different scenes to do what you want. By looping clips in arrangement view, you can simply drag at the right end of the clip as long as you want, essentially what this does is it just copies the clips over and over again without you having to manually duplicate every clip. Activate arrangement view midi clips loop function by double clicking them and pressing the loop button in the lower left corner.

Last edited:
Nah... Even if you hate manuals... You gotta read a lil. Actually, doesn't live teach you how to use it when you open it for the 1st time?

Back