Young Grasshopper needs help from the senseis

JSupernova

Hello all, I am new to Future Producers but heard that this was a great community. I have been into music my whole life but never really got into the production of it. Anything I can get my hands on about music I try to.
My main question is about hardware.
Right now I have my macbook i just purchased last month along with my vinyl player which helps me sample vinyls. What i would like to know is what midi keyboard i should use ( Mpk49 / Max49 / Mpk 61) <-- I've heard the pro's and cons and went to a guitar center and mashed on them but still don't know too much about the buttons. I've read several manuals but I'm still new to music terms. What do you guys think?
I also need an interface which will allow me to record me rapping as well as connect studio monitors to it.
What studio monitors should I Get? (somthing ranging from maybe 1-3 hundred would be awesome)

I hope i don't upset anyone by my noobness. Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you all !
-John (JSupernova/John Doe)

I think those controllers are mostly pretty similar. The MAX49 has some unusual features - CV control (which you most likely won't need anyway) and those touch-faders rather than physical ones, but besides that, they're more or less the same (most of those extra controls are, after all, designed to be assigned to whatever you want), so I'd advise just picking one by your own intuition. That said, 49 keys can feel like a bit of a compromise if you start playing more complex stuff.

As for interfaces...well, there's a ton to choose from. The Focusrite Saffires seem to be very popular & solid at the time.

Monitors are a bit trickier. One can get by with just about anything, but I honestly don't think there's much anything worth buying below about ~$500, and even that's cutting it a bit low. In other words, I'd advise saving a bit more for those. I know many people will say this and that about those low-end KRKs and M-Audios, but frankly they're not much more than glorified computer speakers with a "professional monitor" sticker on them.

So if i wanted to do complex music I should go with the 61 huh? I almost bought the 88 but mannnn that is one expensive machine haha. After doing some research I've seen many people say to get that interface you have mentioned so i might go with it. As for monitors I probably will just wait and save for it like you said. I don't want to buy any bad quality stuff but I am grateful for what I have and will have. Much appreciated Krushing. =D, I thank you for your humble response.
-John

So if i wanted to do complex music I should go with the 61 huh?

Well, not really - I meant that if you start playing anything more complex than simple one-hand melodies, 49 keys suddenly feels a bit cramped. Nothing to do with the overall complexity of the music as such.

Ahhh.. I see. You do prove a mighty point there... I have only been able to come across akai equipment up close. I haven't really been able to mess with any other equipments. So I wouldn't know where to start on that.

Yeah, well, I think all of those Akai options (maybe look into Novation as well) are perfectly ok, and I don't think the 49-vs-61 is a game-breaking choice one way or the other. Try out a few different brands just so you'll get a feel on the keybeds on offer & which feels the most natural to you - then decide if all the extra bells and whistles are something you need (or which ones you need).

I've researched up on Novation. Though, sadly, I've only been able to research it and was never really able to test one out. I went to my local guitar center but they don't really carry much Novation. Mainly Akai, Roland, Yamaha, Casio and hella other stuff. I've heard that all the new stuff is crap but I still wanna give it a go. I know not to take too much consideration on the research i've done and to just buy an equipment and jam out on it. My friends a producer as well and he says everyone has their preferences so I wouldn't know until i jammed out on it haha.

Back