Yamaha HS50m's vs. MAudio BX5's

CPhoenix

CharlesAllen/ BMR Studios
GOT MY YAM'S TODAY!!!!!! Too excited.

Alright.... so i've spend about an hour with them so far. Wanted to share my thoughts and first impressions as I promised I would.

Thought #1
I must've done a fairly decent job of learning my monitors man lol. I remember a time when my music sounded like sh-t. It doesn't anymore thank god... but there is room for improvement (and I know what those key items are). I listened to a few mixes i've already done and spent a lot of time on.... and they sound good on both. However... this is b/c i did so much back n forth w/ the BX5's. The levels are finally right... and its apparent in the mix... it took a lot to get it translatable. On the Yam's... these are telling me that my bass is a tad bit low.... which my friend was also telling me his car speakers told him (go figure). If I were to remix this song i'm listening to.... i'd push the bass a smidge harder and i'd work on some of the transients. I never thought about transient design on my BX5's to be honest... these Yam's make me wanna work on transients for added punch to my kicks. Wow.... i'm mad i didnt notice that.

Thought #2
There's a difference in "definition". The BX5's sounds more "round"... across the board, but especially in the mid's and lows. Not sure if I can explain what round means well... but to me it means i cant hear those transients too well. The Yam's feel more defined and crisp. The stereo image feels better in the sense that I can clearly visualize where a sound is located. Don't ask me how lol.... i dont understand the logic or math behind why these speakers make me feel like I could throw a dart at a sound and the others don't... they just do. That's really weird to be honest. If I was high or had some drinks... i'd be freakin out a little lmao.

Thought #3
Things dont sound as mushy. I was never confident on my BX5's b/c thins seem to overlap on these speakers. But on these Yam's... i can distinctly hear different sounds. They sound more separated. That's weird too. For instance... I can hear my vocals more clearly inside this good mix.... and I feel there are a few parts that start to distort a little bit at the beginning. On my BX5's i had an idea something sounded a little weird... but i couldnt pinpoint it so i overlooked it. on these Yams.. i can hear exactly what distorted and where, and confidently. That's kinda cool. Everything has its own space... which is good b/c that's what I was aiming for... its good to know i somehow hit certain goals. They sound great.

My first impression is that the Yam's are superior to the BX's in terms of truthfulness and accuracy. I'm hearing things i didnt hear before and i'm glad i guessed a few things right on my BX5's. The BX5's feel like a Whopper with a lot of good ingredients on it. It tastes good... but dont ask me what ingredients are in it... i just know it tastes good. The Yam's are like a gourmet burger in comparison where i can taste each flavor a little better. I can tell you they used cheddar cheese instead of american, and they chopped some onions in the burger meat.

As I continue to learn these monitors... i'm going to try to remember to update this thread w/ my general thoughts, b/c it can be very tough finding direct comparisons like this. I have both of my monitors at my desk and will be able to finally spot check my mixes.

Anyone recommending the HS50's for mixing is dead on right. Very good investment if you know how to mix. If you can't mix yet... u might not hear this stuff. But... eventually u'll begin mixing if u produce... it just happens as a natural progression when u want ur stuff to sound better. And at that point... you'll wish u got some accurate monitors over the fun-monitors.

---------- Post added at 09:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

The next test will probably be which do I prefer producing a track on lol. I dunno... people say he Yam's suck for producing b/c they lack bass but.... i can't tell yet to be honest. They dont seem to lack bass... they just seem to portrait it appropriately lol. If the bass aint there... the sh-t just aint there yet.

We'll see though.

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:28 PM ----------

Wow... okay..

So, I just started producing a tack and I'm playing a simple piano part. I'm using Piano in Blue by Cinesamples (love this freakin piano).

There is a crazy difference between these two monitors. lol. I can hear it even better. The BX5's... at the same volume, waaaaaaaay push the bass up. It's like there's an EQ and it put a +6db gain on anything below like 200Hz or something. As a result.. its tricking me to think this is a super full sounding piano. So... if I were to start mixing... i would be mixing assuming that this piano is bass heavy and i'd be EQ'ing out some of those lows and mids right off the bat. The pedal release (yes.. piano in blue sampled the piano pedals... nice) is sooo damn loud in the BX5's i'd be trying to get rid of it. In fact... i did get rid of it all together on another song... but that's another story.

The Yam's are telling me this is a way cleaner piano than i thought. Everything is right about this piano. It's fine the way it is. It's brighter than i thought it was originally.Sounds like a real piano. The low end is definitely there man... it's just not hyped up.... but i know exactly where it is.

Personally... i'd rather produce knowing what the sound actually sounds like ahead of time. I dont need to be lead to believe this piano is heavy in the bottom end before i even start mixing. I wanna produce it how it actually sounds. no longer understand why someone would say "yeah... these are great for producing b/c they pump the bass a little". No... that doesnt make sense to me anymore.. i'm sorry if that advice ever slipped out my mouth. I take it back lol. Give me flat monitors to produce on.

Let's see the differences in drums next.

---------- Post added at 09:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 PM ----------

Interesting on drums.

The BX5's are telling me there's too much reverb on a certain kit im testing out. The Yam's tell me it's there but its fine... it comes thru nice and crisp. I can again hear transients much better. The drums on BX5 are louder in the mids and sound like the reverb is going to become overpowering soon. Nothing like that on the Yam's.... these are all of the sudden some quality drums lol.

Based on the track record and my prior mixes... it's safe for me to say the Yam's are right and the BX's are lying a little. I'd make some pretty drastic changes to these on my BX5's.... and i'd probably end up wrong. They were fine to begin with.

Damn that's weird.

Okay... these are my first impressions for now. I'll check back later.

---------- Post added at 10:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 PM ----------

Okay... last thought for the night lol.... 808 bass drums sound boomier on the BX5's than on the Yam's As you would guess... I can hear the start of the sound better on the Yams for some reason. The BX5's seem to focus more on the tail part of the 808.

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:
That's long ass post u should make a summery. But yea bx5a are not good monitors since i got Adam's i haven't looked back.

good post, have had my bx5as for like 5yrs now.....was thinking of grabbing some of the hs50's so i can more accurately mix..still gonna keep my bx5as to produced with....I like the sounds that they give, just need smething more accurate when im mixing...thanks for the insight

no prob. u'll definitely hear the difference.. its not subtle. I still have my BX's for spot checking the mix. When I make the right decision on the Yam's, the BX's confirm it. Couldn't say the reverse.

Honestly that post was pretty long so I skimmed through it but I would get the Yamaha's any day. Honestly, the Hs50m's do not have a great low frequency response though. I would rather save up more and purchase the 8" version of the Yamaha's.

^i'd argue that 5" monitors should not have a great low frequency response. They should be paired with a sub and placed in a good acoustic environment.

A good 8" monitor should be better to hear bassy sounds on... but i don't think it would still be better than a good sub. All depends on the brand monitor of course though... but just speaking generally.

My current gameplan is to add a god sub for these, and have a secondary 8" monitor option to go back n forth between. JBL LSR 8" to be exact... at least that's what I have my heart set on now. If not... I may get the Adam A7's

---------- Post added at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

Also.. in terms of accuracy... 90% of people who have heard both seem to say the 50's + sub sound more accurate than the 80's... or the 80's plus sub.

Understandable but everyone doesn't have the best acoustic enviroment. For example the room I have is perfect of 5" monitors. At this point I do not have absorption pads in the room and it's very small at that. Therefore, even 6" monitors would be too bassy for the setup LOL. I wouldn't even try a sub paired with my 5" monitors until I had a better enviroment and it was properly treated. DECENT SOUND IN A GREAT ROOM > GREAT SOUND IN A DECENT ROOM

^absolutely agreed.

I've got a similar terrible setup for the time being. The wall facing my monitors is only about 4-5 feet away!!. And to make it worse, it's concrete lol.

I'm holding out on my sub until I get better space for acoustics. But it kinda works out b/c of the modular approach. I would've got the Yam 5" inch + Yam 10W sub anyway lol... might as well spread out the purchase. The 8" JBLs or Adam A7's i'd be getting would've been later anyway. So it works out... at least for me lol.

When I need to check bass... 1) I check the VU meter, which has been really helpful lately. 2) I go to the car. 3) I spot check on my BX5's and some cheap $7 Micro Center computer speakers.

Back