Why get hardware when I can have softsynths?

Egan

In the two years that I've been producing I've exclusively used softsynths (pretty much only Massive lol which I know very well by now). I don't really know what else a synthesizer could be capable of so what are the advantages of using a physical synthesizer and what really differs between synths typically? I really want to be able to create more unique sounds. Are there any functionalities of certain synthesizers that are seen as being novel and sort of gimmicky? If so what kind of stuff's out there?

Not much difference in sound, to be honest - and this is coming from an all-hardware synth guy. Granted, there are some subtleties - especially on the analog side of things - that softsynths aren't quite capable as of yet (not that anyone but us synth enthusiasts care), but mostly it's about the workflow: I just find it infinitely more inspiring to have a hands-on interface to sculpt sounds with, versus an on-screen interface. Control surfaces have come a long way, but it's not quite the same thing.

Plus, of course, it looks a lot cooler to have an ocean of blinking lights for your eyes to feast on ;)

Back