What's the best microphone to use to record "2pac" like hip-hop vocals?

yza

I've been rapping for a couple years now but only for fun...I would record a couple tracks but didn't take recording seriously because I was broke and was using a very cheap microphone. My style is on the loud side and some friends and artists have said it's very tupac like being very loud when I record or rap. The problem I had when recording is that I couldn't capture the emotion. What can you recommend for me in the price range of under 500...as well as something up to 3,000.

I will post an example of the vocal quality with a little bit of reverb once I post 20 times. Lol. Have a great day yall ill be checking on this thread frequently.

Last edited:
Where do You record vocals?
You know Tupac recorded in big studios for big $$.
I think Rode NT-1A should be a good start.

For what it's worth, this is apparently what he used:

paultools from gearslutz.com said:
Mics: U-87, AKG 414, U-47, TLM170

Mic pres: SSL E, SSL G, Neve 1073

Compressors: SSL E, SSL G, dbx 160, dbx 165

So pretty standard big studio stuff.

The AKG C414 in my opinion is your best bet. It's been the industry standard for sometime now, but its pretty pricey. They usual range from $800-$1000.

Please dont take offense but unless your pac i doubt youll get his sound to be brutally honest..
-Im pretty positive the AKG C4 was used by Wu-tang for one of their albums(maybe 36chambers)
-The U-87 is also pretty good
-i like the NT-1a
-even the standard Shure SM-58 is ace to start with i reckon.
i dont wanna come across as an a$$ about things but i rap myself and unless you learn to let go of the whole "i wanna sound like pac" and stuff youll find it hard to progress. The words you spit is what you need to master! Not to mention a flow..
Also he paid major $$ to record his shit. Its not just the mic that gets a specific sound, but the compressors pre-amps and all the rest of it. As stated previous.

And as for capturing emotion, from one rapper to another.. get off the whole 'rapping for fun' and put your heart in it and i guarantee you could rap into gaming headphones with a mic attached and still get the emotion across. I mean look at the quality on some of biggies raps back in the day and their still legendary for how much emotion was in his words, not to mention every other rapper that was underground had shit all to rap into at the start.

Your you bro not 2pac and im only saying all this so you can get down to focus on your art rather than an emulation of someone elses.

No disrespect whatsoever!!
Goodluck bro and im interested in hearing some of your stuff when you get it down!!
peace.

Last edited:
Back