Those who have migrated to Maschine Studio hardware and 2.0 software, a few questions

jagaloon

Hey all,

Reviews and opinions are starting to come through on the new Maschine Studio hardware and 2.0 software. I'm still using my MKII hardware but for the life of me can't figure out why I'm drawn to possibly upgrading to the Studio hardware. Is it that much better with regards to having a seperate editing section, do you really just use the hardware? NI had stated that's what was going to happen with the MKII but I found myself looking at my computer screen more, and using my mouse more and more, and only using the pads to play melodies or lay down a beat.

Has the song creation process been changed from scenes to more like ableton or is it still scenes? Lastly, does anyone else use an external synth, like a Novation Ultranova and been able to integrate that easily into the new Studio hardware rather than have to record sounds played by the synth into the sampler?

I almost feel cheated by NI but they are only out to make money, I'm just having a hard time figuring out if it's really worth it to upgrade the hardware and get the software for free in essence, or just buy the software and use my MKII controller instead. I've invested enough in almost every expansion pack they offer as well so I'm not about to jump ship from NI anytime soon.

Thanks all!

I'm not too experienced in electronic music and didn't own the predecessor but I just bought the new Maschine. I literally just bought it but my first impression is very positive. I use both the software and hardware together pretty equally. The time it takes me to create a track has been exponentially decreased and the whole process feels so natural. Since I didn't own the previous version I can't speak to whether or not you should upgrade, so I'm probably of not much help.

I'm not too experienced in electronic music and didn't own the predecessor but I just bought the new Maschine. I literally just bought it but my first impression is very positive. I use both the software and hardware together pretty equally. The time it takes me to create a track has been exponentially decreased and the whole process feels so natural. Since I didn't own the previous version I can't speak to whether or not you should upgrade, so I'm probably of not much help.

The time it took you to create a track with maschine compared to what else? I still find myself getting screwed up with all the button pushing pressing shift erase to delete certain things, I just resort back to the mouse. Thanks for sharing either way, it helps!

The time it took you to create a track with maschine compared to what else? I still find myself getting screwed up with all the button pushing pressing shift erase to delete certain things, I just resort back to the mouse. Thanks for sharing either way, it helps!

Compared to using just Audio Damage Tattoo. I'm not sure if you're coming from software or another piece of hardware, but having the physical pads for me is great. I suppose it all depends on the person. Either way, good luck!

Compared to using just Audio Damage Tattoo. I'm not sure if you're coming from software or another piece of hardware, but having the physical pads for me is great. I suppose it all depends on the person. Either way, good luck!

Actually I'm coming from just a DJ background, never made any EDM or other type of music in my life before but always wanted to. I had figured that Maschine was a good place to start, saw it in a local shop and picked it up. The workflow and I do not get along very well and have been at odds with each other since the start, which was why the Studio edition had peaqued my interest. Oddly enough, iMaschine and I get along great, I can usually create something rather quickly, but on 1.8 w/MKII hardware, it's a push/shove battle between getting things to sync up perfectly and sound good. Probably has something to do with the pre-made sounds on iMaschine.

I think for me it's a lack of theory of music than anything else, but the Maschine workflow with scenes, I just have a hell of a time getting it to blend nicely together.

Can you control the 2.0 mixer from the Mk2 hardware or do you need to use the mouse?

Would it be possible to control the 2.0 mixer with another midi control surface (ie korg nanokontrol2 or Zero-SL or BCF etc) ?

I asked elsewhere and the response I got was that the mixer unfortunately does not integrate with the old hardware. Also, no MIDI mapping for the mixer functions, so using zeroSL, BCF or Nanokontrol is out of the question (unless NI do an update) so the mixer is pretty much a software-only feature unless you have the Studio.

Last edited:
I asked elsewhere and the response I got was that the mixer unfortunately does not integrate with the old hardware. Also, no MIDI mapping for the mixer functions, so using zeroSL, BCF or Nanokontrol is out of the question (unless NI do an update) so the mixer is pretty much a software-only feature unless you have the Studio.

So you can still use the mixer feature just not with mkII hardware? I am almost positive I saw a NI vid showing level adjusting with MkII but I could be mistaken. Disappointing.

So you can still use the mixer feature just not with mkII hardware? I am almost positive I saw a NI vid showing level adjusting with MkII but I could be mistaken. Disappointing.

According to Joe @maschinemasters that is the case... The fact that you can't midimap the mixer to another controller hurts the most... I'm gonna stick with 1.8 & Ableton for the time being but me and Ableton don't always get along...

According to Joe @maschinemasters that is the case... The fact that you can't midimap the mixer to another controller hurts the most... I'm gonna stick with 1.8 & Ableton for the time being but me and Ableton don't always get along...

That really is disappointing. I'm glad that I held off and am still using 1.8. I tried Ableton, I could never figure it out during the trial and ended up getting more frustrated. That's not to say there hasn't been growing pains with maschine, it's always doing to be in beta I think.

Back