Whats the best compact midi controller?

25 keys does not beat 37 keys in a same-size unit.

As a side note... gotta love it when prideful gear lists take the place of placements/"hits" lits ;)

im talking about functionality not the amount of keys. no other midi controller on the market does what the axiom pro series does as simple as it does with little programing.

im talking about functionality not the amount of keys. no other midi controller on the market does what the axiom pro series does as simple as it does with little programing.

The # of keys is the first criteria in functionality.

I would estimate that for 80% of hip-hop's simple chords and melodies, 25 keys is enough. "HyperControl" can be a time-saving feature.
However there are cases when you need to loop back over your passages and octave-shift because you don't have enough keys to play them. This is extra time spent programming your musical passages that you might not have accounted for.
A portable master keyboard needs 37 keys. Period. There are only a few 37-key-keyboards, and your choice between those is up to personal preference and individual needs.

The Axiom Pro 61 is a very nice board, and the Axiom Pro 25 is amazing as an everything-in-one board next to a computer keyboard (even does QWERTY shortcuts!) as long as there is a larger keyboard to do play more "serious" passages on.

Personally I've been into the pads lately over the keys... love my padKONTROL as a portable MIDI controller and I want 2 more to take along with the one I have. eBay, here I come! :) Anyone have 1 they want to sell?

Last edited:
Novation remote keyboards can be used as a midi interface....

And the feel on novation keyboards is imo the best around.

m-audio and akai keys feel kinda stiff.....

Since this thread is still relevant in the search results in spite of being several years old, I figured I'd update it.

Here's an article including the best 3 portable MIDI controllers in 2014:

The 3 Best Portable MIDI Controllers

-Ki
Salem Beats (+Reviews)
gpWmqu

in another 5 years we're going to be spraying MIDI directly out of our minds, controllers not needed :)

also hi fp what the hell has happened to this place

Back