Weighted Keys

LostProfit

I'm having a spot of trouble understanding what fully weighted keys means. I'm trying to get the closest sensation of a pinao possible without spending £6000 on a real piano of digital keyboard.

Will fully weighted keys be more responsive than semi when using a VST.

To rephrase, does it depend on the VST how responsive the keys are?

Or does is just depend on the keyboard?

some help please

Yes, you want weighted keys if you want a "piano feel".

If you're not used to weighted keys you might feel them as less responsive due to the added weight compared to plastic keys. So you'll have a harded time with the keys at first but you'll get used to it eventually.

You can edit the velocity curve on some vsti's. It just depends on what you're using. It's midi, so at least you can edit it easily after at least. You can do it in some keyboards also, it just depends on what you have. I'd think most would be capable nowadays.

So, as far as responsiveness, in a way, it doesn't have anything to do with the keys. It has to do with your software latency in the case of software. Other than that, all keys are as responsive but as far as the velocity sensitivity, synth-action keys (the plastic ones) will seen more "responsive" because they're easier to press.

fully weighted or hammer action keys is what a real piano feels like, semi-weighted or synth action is what synths and keyboards feel like. if you don't have piano experience and don't plan on learning piano, you might want to stay away from fully weighted keys because it takes finger strength to play piano, or you just might like the challenge, no matter what, you can get the job done either way. if you actually play piano tho, you may want something with weighted keys so you can retain that real piano feel.
LevLove

Also keep in mind that the term "fully weighted" is thrown around a bit loosely these days - some indeed have actual piano-type hammer mechanisms, while some have just, well, heavier springs - especially some cheaper units. Not that either is automatically better than the other - just so you don't try one unit and judge everything from that experience.

LevLover said:
fully weighted or hammer action keys is what a real piano feels like, semi-weighted or synth action is what synths and keyboards feel like. if you don't have piano experience and don't plan on learning piano, you might want to stay away from fully weighted keys because it takes finger strength to play piano, or you just might like the challenge, no matter what, you can get the job done either way. if you actually play piano tho, you may want something with weighted keys so you can retain that real piano feel.
LevLove

I agree. Only "chase" fully-weighted if you know what you you would be missing if you didn't have it. If you aren't a pianist, it may hurt more than help.

i actually prefer a fully weighted key because i was used to playing an upright. Weighted keys also hide your small mistakes since it takes more effort to actually hit the key, piano rolls are easier too and sound better.

as far as price, a fully weighted key keyboard can cost some g's

i have an organ that has plastic keys, and yea it sounds good, but if im trying to do a slide or glissando, man i be tearin up my knuckles

i agree wit da folks above and what they said is true, like krushing said that term is thrown around...the thing is that 88 weighted keyboards are hell gigging with but they come close to hammer action..some studios may have em for session players or for some stationary use

Thanks everyone...

I think I will have to try it for myself, which may be a problem because the music shops I know don't have all the MIDI keyboards on display.

The one I', looking at is the Keystation Pro 88. I have heard m ixed reviews about it.

Somone on here refered to the feel of the keys as "plastic and spongy"

So I don't know...I will let you know what I decide to get.

i kno dem axiom keys are spongy lol i had one a while back...BUT YO if you tryna cop from one of them stores, tell em to bring dat **** out and let you try it, if they wanna sell it theyll let you mess wit it

Back