Setting up my BCR2000

Wallengard

Manipulator of energy
So, I'm back once again with an exciting midi-related issue.

I just got my BCR2000, and immediately I started having issues.

I set up preset 1 on the BCR and assign all the 32 rotary controls to different CC. Now I store these and I confirm in my DAW that they are in fact sending the CC's that I set.

I open up an instance of for example Sylenth. I now assign my 32 knobs to what ever parameter I want to control using the in-built Midi learn on the VST and it all works fine.

Now I open up a second instance of Sylenth. The parameters I first assign are already set to the same controls as the first time around, and this is how I want it to be.

So now let's say I move the knob I assigned to volume and filter cutoff and put them both on max on the first instance of Sylenth. I then move on to the second instance and put the same knobs all the way down. If I move back to the first instance of Sylenth now, and move the filter cutoff and volume knobs, the value of the parameter in Sylenth will immediately jump to the position of the knob, skipping basically the whole cycle.

What I want to do is have it either just increase or decrease the value based on where the parameter is actually set so I don't get these jumps. I'm hoping that it's possible to set this up somehow.

And my second problem is the one with the physical midi learn button on the BCR itself.

Let's say I use the same preset 1 on the BCR for this, with all controls already assigned to a different CC. I'm using an instance of Sylenth again for example purposes. So I go ahead and press and hold the Learn button on the BCR and move the first knob on it, I then wiggle the filter cutoff knob in Sylenth until the BCR registers this completely and confirms this with Good being displayed on the Led display. The first knob on the BCR is assigned to the filter cutoff knob in Sylenth and i even get a parameter feedback sent to my BCR when I move the parameter in Sylenth with my mouse.

Now I move on to the resonance knob on the same instance of Sylenth. I press and hold the learn button, move the second knob on the BCR and wiggle the resonance knob in Sylenth until the BCR registers and confirms this. So now that knob will control the resonance knob in Sylenth.

However this is where I find it gets a little weird. Now when I move the filter cutoff knob in Sylenth I will get parameter feedback to the BCR on both knob 1 and 2! Any parameter in sylenth i now click on with my mouse is controlled by knob 1 and 2 on the BCR. This to me is really strange behaviour as it doesn't actually let me learn more than 1 parameter like this. And when I use that learn function on the BCR all the previously assigned CC for the knobs I tried to learn has been changed and seem to have changed to another CC.

I am aching to get a fix for this, any help would be much much appreciated!

Cheers,
Daniel

Last edited:
Oh, crap I was going to get back to you about your jumping parameter issue but I totally forgot, you are going to hate me now because there is a feature in Ableton Live where you can move a knob so it only picks up the set value....it's called MIDI Controller Takeover Mode or some shit...it will be in the preferences somewhere along with the options that will get your BCR2000 working properly.

I'm familiar with that feature, and that only works with the parameters set in the device window that have been configured. What I want to do is do it on the actual VST itself. Now I can make the first 8 parameters in Live update the parameters I change directly to the BCR2000, but any more than that just simply won't work. And this is not a very optimal setup for me anyway, since I need to set up crazy long and confusing templates in order to do half of what I can do with just using the midi-learn function on the actual VST gui. For instance I can have 32 knobs set from midi CC 20-51, all controlling 15 different VST's, with 32 parameters set up logically so the knobs basically control similar areas of a vst instrument, each with a simple switch between the devices. If I were to use the midi learn function in Ableton those knobs would be restricted to those select parameters only. Do you see where I'm getting? I'm hoping that there is a solution to this, otherwise I bought the damned thing for nothing and my 180 euros feels like they could've been spent better wiping my butt with.

I've gotten the BCR to work exactly how my Oxygen 49 does, by sending absolute values and using different presets to control all of my VST's. But what I bought it for was so that I didn't have to deal with the parameters jumping back and forth when I switch between my different VST's. Now I can just send a lot more of them with less use of presets, which wasn't my problem at all in the first place.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like you want to set up your BCR2000 to switch it's CC mapping whenever you switch between VST Instruments with different default CC mappings for the same parameters or some shit, but I don't see why you would want that kind of double handling over setting things up with minimal CC parameter switching.

That's not what I want. As of right now, I can use those 32 controls for literally hundreds of different parameters by simply changing the vst, and have them all setup using the same Cc range. What I can't do is get rid of the ever so annoying parameter jumps.

I dunno what it is about his subject that seem so hard to explain, I'm having same issues with customers support.

I'm sending all the same CC's to all my vsts, but Ive done it in a way so the same knobs on my bcr control similar things on all vsts I switch between. So preset 1 basically controls the filter section of all my vsts, and preset 2 has the envelopes etc etc.. I don't have to switch between presets to control a different vst.

At this point I don't care so much about all the other kinds of features the BCR2000 supposedly possesses, all I want is to have 3 presets on the bcr, all knobs set to different CC's on those 3 presets, be able to use the inbuilt midi learn function on my vsts, switch between them without getting parameters jumping when I start to tweak.

That's all I want, I've been sitting about a whole day straight since I got it, researching and reading up on midi and what not.. I just can't seem to find any way to make this work.

Last edited:
Yes I have tried that too. When I set my knobs to rel2 the parameter jumps between the minimum value and the maximum value set on the bcr for that knob, regardless of what I set those values to.

If any of the knobs work without jumping hit edit and find out what mode they are set to, or set up a preset with different knob settings in order to troubleshoot the problem....also does the BCR2000 have the latest firmware version?

My understanding is that Live has some funky controller knob features so that could be creating some issues if you don't have that sorted out, other than that what you will need to figure out is what's not sending updates to what and why...When you switch between VST Instruments will the knobs on the BCR2000 update to the correct values or not?

Thanks for that tip, I'll definitely try to do that if I ever come across one that does work. I'd say it's the latest firmware, those drivers on behringers website didn't really work but the whole thing was installed by my OS anyway. The update works as I explain in my first post. Using the learn function on the bcr itself to control the parameters allow for parameter feedback sent back to it. However it's not behaving properly as explained before, because when I do that on the vst any knob I click will be controlled by the knob I just learned. And so on and so on.. And all the previous knob settings are gone with it. The first 8 parameters or the macros in Live all seem to work, using E learn function on the bcr I get parameters feedback for all 8 on 8 different knobs correctly.. ,but after those 8 parameters ut won't work anymore.

What do you mean have that sorted? How would one go about sorting such a thing..

I will upload a video of me explaining this so what I am saying will be helped visually too.

Last edited:
When you turn the BCR2000 on it should display the firmware version, mine displays 1.07 on power up...this is not to be confused with the USB MIDI drivers you would install on your computer....the latest firmware is version 1.10 by the way.

It sounds like you might be exiting the learn mode incorrectly not sure whats going on there though and by sorted I mean find the right settings in the MIDI/Sync preferences for the BCR2000....what are your settings?

Ok, yeah the firmware is definitely 1.10. Do you use the BCR2000 with Ableton yourself? And if so can you do at home what I can't over here?

I'm not by my computer right now so I'm having a hard time remembering those exact settings. I can come back with more information along with a short video clip explaining what my problem is and what I want out of it.

The video was a no go, at least for now, but I don't think it's necessary because I believe I've left plenty of information in as much detail as I can right here already.
As far as those Midi/Sync settings goes, it's set up like this;

Control Surface------------Input-------------Output

Oxygen 3rd Gen-----------Oxygen 49-------None
BCR2000-------------------BCR2000---------BCR2000

Takeover Mode------None

Midi ports------------------Track---------Sync---------Remote

Input Oxygen 49----------On-----------Off------------On
Input BCR2000------------On-----------Off------------On
Output BCR2000----------On-----------Off------------On

Sorry for the awful looking chart there, hopefully it makes some sense to you.

EDIT...

Now I completely messed the whole BCR up. I tried to upload a .syx file to it, and now I get "no05" in the display when starting it up, and nothing will work. I looked it up on the net, and seems the only way to fix this is to upload another .syx file, but my BCR is not detected by any of the manager programs I've got anymore. So this turned out real great... Damn

Last edited:
Yes I have used my BCR2000 with Live but that was quite some time ago and no I don't recall having the same issue as you.

I think you mean noOS, BTW Live doesn't do SysEx, but here is what I think you are now going to have to do, connect your BCR2000 to your Oxygen 49 with a conventional MIDI cable and upload the OS file that way.

Hm ok, I guess I'll have to go and pick up a midi cable then, as I don't have one right now. I wonder why it won't work the way I want it to.. if it has worked for you. I'm starting to get really frustrated with this thing.. I've done nothing with it since I bought it but try to make it behave how I want.

Back