Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roland Fantom X series vs. Roland Fantom G series?

JohnSell is offline Registered User

Roland Fantom X series vs. Roland Fantom G series?

Sign in to disable this ad
    Thinking about making an investment in a fantom to use a sound module for my mpc 2kxl. Played a G6 the other day at a guitar center and the thing was just unbeliveable, as was the price ($2600)

Then i saw the X series was much cheaper. I like seperate hardware that i could actually use as one unit, so im probably gonna buy an actuall workstation rather then the rack unit. So heres the question

Besides price whats the big difference between a Fantom G series and a Fantom X series? And is it worth putting down the extra cash to get a G series? Thanks

Mev_The_Producer is offline He's Unstoppable...
    as an owner of the G series...it was WELL worth the hefty price..im still amazed at the things it does -

i saved 10 mins in the studio trying 2 get my guitar player into pro tools by just having him record his performance str8 into the fantom

it really depends on what u wanna do what ur budget is looking like
    MEVTHERENEGADE
    1/2 of The Renegades

dmensah1 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSell
    Thinking about making an investment in a fantom to use a sound module for my mpc 2kxl. Played a G6 the other day at a guitar center and the thing was just unbeliveable, as was the price ($2600)

Then i saw the X series was much cheaper. I like seperate hardware that i could actually use as one unit, so im probably gonna buy an actuall workstation rather then the rack unit. So heres the question

Besides price whats the big difference between a Fantom G series and a Fantom X series? And is it worth putting down the extra cash to get a G series? Thanks
    Biggest Differences off the top of my head:

1. Fantom G can have 16 insert FX per patch, Fantom X can only have three.
    2. Fantom G cant use SRX cards while the X can. However, the G has a "best of" collection of SRX patches and can load new ARX cards.
    3. Fantom G has a new sequencer.

In the long run, the Fantom G will last you longer.

brainzzzz is offline Registered User
    If you just want sounds and track into a DAW like Pro Tools, get the X.

JohnSell is offline Registered User
    Thanks for all the help, I think im gonna go for the G series, i been seeing some good prices on ebay and im gonna save up. The thing just looks unbelivable, like an all in one.

One more question, do any of you guys use a g series fantom with an MPC, if so hows the workflow.
    Last edited by JohnSell; 11-19-2008 at 09:57 AM.

itsberg is offline Registered User
    JohnSell as the owner of a fantom-x.... i think youll kick yourself for droppin anything over 2grand for the G. The stuff these ppl all said was cool but what they didnt say is that u can find an X for about 900 or so maybe even fully maxed out on the street... that in addition to the korg m50 which goes for bout a grand or even the motif xs rack (nearly 20,000 arps and zillions of motif sounds) which is about 1100-1300.... So for the price of the G even at retail.. you could buy 1 killer workstation (the X) PLUS an accompanying rack or even another workstation (which u may jus use for the sounds) and STILL have money for headphones, cables, maybe a mic, keyboard stand... Until the price of the G comes down around the price of the Motif XS and Korg M3, is DEF not worth it, DEF.

Any true Roland head will tell you the G sounds good, but not as good as the X maxxed out..hella compression on the instruments. ALSO.. ur gonna sequence wit the MP, so **** that **** dude is tellin u bout the seq. ALSO... I've been havin dudes record guitar and miced drums or percussion into my X.... it has str8 Audio tracks in that mug jus like PT or Logic. No disrespect to anyone who wrote in... but I'll tell you this.... The newest dont always mean better AND let him cop that Fantom G and if he doesnt like it, watch how hard it'll be to find someone to take that brick off ur hands at a decent price!!! Wonder why ur seeing them on ebay flying at decent prices right???? Obviously muf****az don't like them all that much (not to say there arent people who get some if not alot of use out of them)... I jus mean it took me yrs to see good prices on the X and only now that it has a bigger brother are the prices starting to come down. Tritons, Motifs saturated the market so they're always found... X's were a dime a dozen at a good price... I have the X and i bought it WHEN the G came out cuz my big homey my main producer/engineer has the G and i hated navigating it, even with the mouse n ****. Cop the X and be happy bro...
    Arsenal:
    MPC 2500XXL//ENSONIQ ASR-10//Roland Fantom-X//Moog//
    Reason4//ProTools8//Logic8//
    Motto:
    Pimp Hard... Pimp Harder... A Closed Mouth Don't Get Fed.

mobetta is offline Registered User
    I had both and honestly, the G is not worth the price for what you get. The new G OS helps sequencing easy, but other than that the sounds are basically the same on as the x, except at least you can expand the x with the srx cards. If they add more stuff in future updates and release more sounds like korg did with M3 and most important drop the price, I might buy it again, but for now the x is good enuff. Unfortunately, alot of these keyboard companies are just coming up with new "tricks" like color screens and editing features and not sound quality.

youngjboy Guest
    If you don't have either to begin with, the G is cool, but I honestly kind of favor the X. I have the X rack and after playing the G, the sounds straight out the box are typical Roland and not much better than the X. Actually, the grand pianos are worse as the X had some good ones and the G grands suck. I can't comment on the 16 effects cause I haven't messed with them in the store, but to me the effects on the x kind of suck in comparison to Korg and Yamaha's effects.

To me on the Trion series, a thin wack pad could be dressed up with factory reverb, chorus, etc.......with Roland a wack patch is hard to dress up with their effects. I think the X is a better value right now as cats are trying to unload x6's for around 1000

dmensah1 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by youngjboy
    If you don't have either to begin with, the G is cool, but I honestly kind of favor the X. I have the X rack and after playing the G, the sounds straight out the box are typical Roland and not much better than the X. Actually, the grand pianos are worse as the X had some good ones and the G grands suck. I can't comment on the 16 effects cause I haven't messed with them in the store, but to me the effects on the x kind of suck in comparison to Korg and Yamaha's effects.

To me on the Trion series, a thin wack pad could be dressed up with factory reverb, chorus, etc.......with Roland a wack patch is hard to dress up with their effects. I think the X is a better value right now as cats are trying to unload x6's for around 1000
    yeah, def true. out the box, the G doesnt sound as impressive as the XS or M3. Roland needs to bring the price of their SRX cards down.

Whoa718 is offline Registered User
    To me, when I first saw the Fantom G at guitar center that thing looked like a beast! But after playing with it, all I really noticed was the sounds were a bit different than the Fantom X. The interface, buttons, knobs, etc. have all been giving a facelift and that's it. For the price of $2600 it's just way too much when I can get almost the same value with the Fantom X. Especially in these tough times. I have the Fantom X and love it. It gets the job done. Bought mine two years ago and I'm still learning new things on it so imagine. It's just getting better and better.

To me I think Roland is just trying to make money off people by simply changing the buttons, interface, etc. and pouting about the gazillion new features it has just to have people drop more money on their new keyboard. If your using only the sounds, then just get the Fantom X. Trust me you won't be dissapointed. The only reason I would get the Fantom G is if your going to be doing everything on the keyboard itself. Other than that get the Fantom X, with the sounds on it, you won't be dissapointed.
    Last edited by Whoa718; 01-07-2010 at 02:08 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information