PSR E403 poor touch response

oshaf

Hi,

I use this plastic yamaha as my midi controller. It's not the best, but it gets the job done. One day I tested a sampler on a VST player by directly clicking that virtual keyboard. Then I swapped to my controller. After all this time I didn't realize that it has a lower velocity. It doesn't sound like using all the sampling ability. No matter how hard I hit the tuts it didn't come out right. Does it need adjustment or tweaking? I tried but nothing's happened. Is it broken? or is it about the quality of the controller? I dunno. Please help.

Yes, I know this.

When the "touch" light on then it's already noticeable. Set it at "1" to make it even louder. But That's the highest loudness you can get. Compared to direct virtual keyboard, the velocity is still lower. I was trying to find another tweak eversince. I also just found that I can't vary the dynamic on the controller that the virtual key has. Now I'm sure it's about the quality.

Thank you.

your keyboard will produce velocity output from 0-127 simply by you pressing the keys harder or softer (actually faster or slower)

the touch is simply a way of scaling the response of the keyboard to be extra sensitive (what you call loud) or moderately sensitive or low sensitivity: extra sensitive simply means that it takes less effort to get high values whereas low sensitivity means that you need to work the keys harder to get any output at all

I suggest that you need to re-evaluate your expectations about your keyboard - it does what it is supposed to do according to your reports so far

My PSR keyboard? No. The output is less than 127. The highest I can get is about 70.

It's quite an headache at first, considering I'm working on a project. But It'll be handled manually through piano roll in DAW.

The dynamic is working though. But it's not detailed. You might got leaping velocity from e.g. 20 to 30. I believe a proper controller can step in gradually.

Last edited:
what is your daw?

you may have a another scaling filter applied to its inputs that you are unaware of: your manual states categorically that it produces velocity from 0-127; Given that it is yamaha, I am inclined to believe them saying this

No, coach. It happens even without a DAW, in standalone mode. I'm using Kontakt and Sonar, BTW.

Where to find this scaling filter?

Last edited:
really? record me a midi track and thump the keys as hard as you can in doing so: save as a midi file not a project file

then post it so i can investigate it

I am not sharing my social accounts with 4share nor am I going to sign up to use it

please use a service that does not require people to login to access or ask for an e-mail address via pm

Last edited:
Sorry, I didn't know that it's changed.

For about million times trying I couldn't attach the file here. Got to use that file sharing service.

But here's the new one.

so I've looked over this file and can tell you a few things from it

the maximum value it contained was a velocity of 123 (almost full scale)
the minimum value it contained was a velocity of 88
the average velocity was 108.8
the most frequently occurring velocity was also 108

i.e. your keyboard is producing a normal response as far as I can tell

Last edited:
I'm using kontakt player. After some libraries I went trough, seems the piano sampler I use (Galaxy II - Vienna Grand) is the only one that doesn't come out full scale (123 in this case) on my keys. I don't know if other samplers could hit there, but they sound about there. Again if I hit directly to host virtual keys, the vienna sounds significantly louder. That's why I thought there's something wrong with my keys. But there's not actually, because I could have the same highest velocity the virtual keys could reach on other samplers. Maybe there're other "not working" samplers I haven't found yet. But that's all I can say right now.

you may have to turn on the velocity response for some sample libraries; needing to do this is more common than you might think

Back