novation x-station - is it good?

Ethereal said:
So i've read conflicting things in this thread and perhaps someone would be kind enough to clear it up for me:
It is possible to use ableton, or an MPC, to send midi INTO the x-station and have sequenced audio come out of the main out?

I'm interested in using my MPC / ableton to sequence riffs on the x station. I heard that midi doesn't work with the synth engaged...WTF? Is that only when using USB?

Thank you so much!

yea, when you want the mp or ableton to sequence the midi then you will have to take off local control on the keyboard. which means the keyboard keys don't work. Now if you invest in novation v-station you can use the xtstation a a controller for that with the preset, midi up the mpc to the xstation, audio out on mpc to the audio in on the xstation and just monitor everything through the xstation.

x-station setup in live 7 and automation

Hey all - I have been using the x-station for about 6 months now and I love it...the sounds are dope and you can really get some great bass out of it. This might not be directly related to this thread but 2 things I have figured out with getting it to play nice with Live 7
1) get the latest ASIO drivers from novation! I had so many problems prior to using these drivers with latency and just generally getting the synth to work

2) I had HUGE problems with midi automation envelopes not really working properly, it was driving me nuts! Say I had an envelope that changed the lfo 2 speed (ctrl 83...) over the course of a 2 bar loop in clip view, it would seem to work but each iteration of the clip when it was looping would change the sound coming out of the x-station every time.....drove me NUTS! Anyway, the solution is to configure your Midi Ports in preferences (Preferences -> Midi Sync ) and set the Output Port's clock type to Pattern and make sure EXT button is on so it keeps the x-station synced properly
Worked for me and now automation is nice and consistent....
Hopefully that helps someone

Last edited:
Back