M-Audio Axiom 49 or Akai MPK 49

timayproductions

Music Producer
Axiom: http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfrie...49Key-USB-MIDI-Keyboard-Controller?sku=430586
MPK: http://keyboards-midi.musiciansfrie...MPK49-Keyboard-USB-MIDI-Controller?sku=703034

Basically I'm trying to upgrade my MIDI keyboard (E-MU 49). After sorting out through many choices... I'm down to these two. I was wondering if anyone can help or lead me in the right direction?

M-AUDIO AXIOM 2nd Gen
Pros: I love the placement of the pitch/mod wheels and the automapping.

AKAI MPK
Pros: Better keys I hear, more knobs/faders, and better pads

They are both the same price, and even though Akai is more "respected", I just have a great feeling about the Axiom. I can't decide!!

EDIT: I completely forgot about the Axiom Pro series... So out of these three models (Axiom 49 2nd Gen, Axiom Pro 49, and the MPK 49) do you guys prefer? I read the other topics on this and they were either for the 25 or for the 1st gen Axiom 49.

---------- Post added 12-02-2010 at 06:53 PM ---------- Previous post was 11-30-2010 at 10:53 PM ----------

:( no one?
its's not like i haven't done the research... just need some opinions :/

Last edited:
I always hear great things about the Axiom Pro series. I actually am not too sure about Akai keyboards, they tend to get more mixed reviews. Unfortunately I haven't dabbled into any of them and only read lots about them :P

The entire build quality of the MPK49 is far superior. Both controllers have (almost) the same feature set and price... so I recommend the MPK49.

I just ordered the Novation, slmk2 49-- wich is simular to both of this ones u have posted...I got the novation recomended, I was first into the maudio pro 49 like, but then i heard the keys on it was sticky and alot of people had probs with failing keys. Also I think the knobs look rather plastic and bad on teh maudio keyboard, Akai i have no clue on, looks more solid to me. But I fell for the Novation with all automap features on daws.

So I ordered one, and will probelly have it here in 1-2 days.

gl

I got the MPK49 and it is a great MIDI keyboard. the only thing that sucks about it is that it's very cheaply made and the pads aren't too responsive (compared to my 2000XL). the first day I pulled it out of the box, the key broke and sticks up about 1.5" above the rest. It's a known problem with the MPK49.

l_638359d7ffb04adda494ac8704b1dae0.jpg

The semi-responsive pads can be solved by adding 4 layers of electric tape between the pad and the tape sensor. Look for vid on youtube.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the responses! Novation keyboards are awesome.. But they don't fit my playing style, if that makes sense. Plus, I'm coming very very close to ordering the MPK mainly because of the built in arpeggiator, pads, and note repeat, since this will be my only midi controller (I was gonna get the MPD26 with the Axiom at first). The one thing that just sent me back was what Juke posted about the keys. That picture looks depressing, especially since it happened right out of the box. Both prices just dropped on musiciansfriend making the Axiom significantly cheaper, but now the MPK is calling my name. Any other opinions?! Is the key issue really that wide spread!? I don't want it to break right after I buy it.. :/

between the 3 I would probably grab the MPK but the Axiom Pros are tempting. The regular Axioms imo are classics and will be thought of as vintage boards in the future.

Honestly, if I had to do it all over again I would have definitely waited and gotten the MPK61.

Oh yeah... I forgot to mention about the MPK... You have to use either the USB port "or" the MIDI ports but you can't use both of them at the same time.

Last edited:
The midi ports on the MPK become a midi interface to use with hardware gear in the a DAW if you connect via usb. Problem with that is you cannot do much controlling of the racks via the MPK.

Well I planned on using the midi ports with it running through my midi interface so that is good information to point out. thanks again! I keep setting the order date off but Monday is the definate day. And I agree the Axiom pro is very tempting. But like I mentioned above the MPK is something that I really need because of the pads/note repeat, especially after I mod them. I am worried about the build on the MPK, but then again, I'm usually very good with my keyboards. I think I'm ruling the pro out because I'm gonna try to keep the price under 400 since I have more stuff to order now. So it's either the MPK or just the Axiom 2nd gen now. Based on all your guys help (which is veryyy appreciated!) I'm definitely leaning verryyy close to the MPK. Just that build quality.... Is it really as bad as everyones been saying?

The MPK build quality is top notch for today. It feels very pro imo. Especially compared to well anything m audio lol. Also why not use the usb midi?

Cause my USB ports are burned out except for 2 lol. I need 1 for my mouse and I might still leave my korg padKontrol hooked up until I make the pads on the MPK more responsive. But if the pads feel fine, then I'll just use the USB port. But it's good to know the build quality isn't that bad

NEWSFLASH!!! When you apply strong upward force to keyboard keys...they break! Be careful with your gear folks.

Last edited:
NEWSFLASH!!! When you apply strong upward force to keyboard keys...they break! Be careful with your gear folks.

True... but... anything you purchase new shouldn't be broken straight out the box. :cry: Sadly enough, it's a known issue about the MPK49's. Of course AKAI denies this.

Also about the MPK... you have to use a power adapter separately to power up the MPK to use the MIDI ports. I know the MPK49 does not come with a power adapter. You can purchase these from Radio Shack though.

Last edited:
True... but... anything you purchase new shouldn't be broken straight out the box. :cry: Sadly enough, it's a known issue about the MPK49's. Of course AKAI denies this.

And you chose to keep it? I would have sent it back immediately.

Also about the MPK... you have to use a power adapter separately to power up the MPK to use the MIDI ports
No you don't. Ive done it. If you do not use the power adapter you can only control the midi i/o from a daw. It turns the mpk in a midi interface

thats not gonna be a big issue for me since i've decided to just go USB powered and get rid of the good old padkontrol lol. MPK it is then. Didnt it come out like 3 years ago? Are they gonna update the hardware like they did with the Axiom 2nd gen? Cause if so, i'll just wait for the newer version

I'm sure they will update the hardware at some point...just hard to say when. It will probably happen within a month or so of you purchasing it. That's how it always seems to work. :(

Even if a new one comes out the MPKs are very worth it. Probably the best midi controllers Ive ever seen. I still wish I would have invested in a 61 or 88 key

Back