Korg microKorg

Kavie

a.k.a. Bishop Jackson
I'm thinking about picking up one of these within the next few months and wanted to get some reviews on it from those of you that have or have used one. I've played with it a little at Guitar Center but didn't really have time to test it out fully. What are you guys thoughts on it?

im gettin one also but not anytime soon coz i have to buy monitors first and replace my midi keyboard...i heard good things bout it... plus it has a vocoder which u can use if u plan to be creative or whatsoever in ur music.. the synth is small but wicked... the neptunes even use this.. watch the video of drop it like its hot and see chad hugo usin this little thing

planetmars said:
im gettin one also but not anytime soon coz i have to buy monitors first and replace my midi keyboard...i heard good things bout it... plus it has a vocoder which u can use if u plan to be creative or whatsoever in ur music.. the synth is small but wicked... the neptunes even use this.. watch the video of drop it like its hot and see chad hugo usin this little thing

They just used it as a prop for the video shoot. What you are most likely hearing in that video is the sound of a Studio Electronics Omega 8, which is a $4,5000 synthesizer.

I'm interested in its sounds/sound creation abilities (don't know if that's the right word to use) compared to other synths for the price.

Kavie said:
I'm interested in its sounds/sound creation abilities (don't know if that's the right word to use) compared to other synths for the price.

The limited interface of the MicroKorg would certainly distract you from any sound design endeavors that you may pursue. If you are indeed interested in making your own sounds, and since the MicroKorg is just a Korg MS2000 in a smaller package, a wiser use of your money may be to get a used MS2000 or MS2000 rack. Or, better yet, get a used Alesis Ion.

The micrkorg is pretty boring to edit, but once you get used to it, it's a decent synth.
I don't think you could find something better for the price (synth + vocoder)
Now if you don't want the vocoder, I would get a vintage roland synth (juno 60/106 or jx3p/jx8p with the external controller etc)

planetmars said:

Lol I've changed my mind. Im gettin the Micron over this. Hehe!

I would get the microkorg.....personally....KORGS gear is built really cheap and it breaks easily. My boys microkorg board stopped working toward the higer end keys. and the keys are flimsy and cheap. I would actaully recomend the Korg MS-2000R which is a rackmount version of the MS2000 which is bascially the same synth as the microkorg (same engine).....that way you can use a midi keyboard with some actually decent sized keys and build....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back