I want a microkorg XL REALLY BAD! but not sure if i need it

optik415

Im interested in buying the new microkorg xl but im not sure if i need it.I already have a axiom 49 midi controller with reason 4,minimoog plug-in & pro tools 8 which has a ish load of new sounds including the vacuum synth & xpand 2.This new microkorg looks off the hook and i could do some things with that vocoder plus make my own basslines and whatnot.I think the microkorg xl would work great with my mpc 1000 via midi but would i be able to midi multiple sounds with the 1000 or one @ a time? so if anyone that has experience with the first microkorg & mpc's let me know what the workflow is like,let me know if i should add this to my setup or should i not even bother and stick to my axion 49 and all the stuff i mentioned above? THANKS!

I know the first one doesn't have programs, so it's one sound at a time, but I've never really found that to be a limitation, I have a 16 vioce synth that I normally use, and I do it one track at a time. With an MPC it's pretty easy to record a sequence, bounce it down, and then put it in the pattern as a sample, which is what I do.

Aside from not having the vocoder feature, your Minimoog V plugin can probably pull off the same sounds, if not better. I was in the same boat and decided to stay with just Minimoog V.

I don't want to hijack this thread or anything, but Kojak would you mind if I asked you to explain your process a bit more. I have an MPC 2000 and microkorg but I am just using the MK one track at a time through midi. I appreciate it! Thanks.

Kojak said:
I know the first one doesn't have programs, so it's one sound at a time, but I've never really found that to be a limitation, I have a 16 vioce synth that I normally use, and I do it one track at a time. With an MPC it's pretty easy to record a sequence, bounce it down, and then put it in the pattern as a sample, which is what I do.

Last edited:
record a midi track like you normally would, then connect the outs of your keyboard to the in on your MPC (or what I do is have my mixer submix outs into the MPC and just assign the sound I want to that submix), Then turn loop off, go to sample, while in sample hit play, record it, stop when the sound stops, then assign it to a pad and have it play on the first beat, and turn the MIDI on the track you recorded off (but keep the midi track). This bounces your synth track down to an audio sample so you can use the synth for another sound.

Cool thanks!

I will try that....I never knew I could sample and and play at the same time on the 2000xl.

Hi Kojak. I don't think it is possible to record and play at the same time on the 2000xl. Do you have a newer MPC I wonder?

Thanks for the help man.

Kojak said:
record a midi track like you normally would, then connect the outs of your keyboard to the in on your MPC (or what I do is have my mixer submix outs into the MPC and just assign the sound I want to that submix), Then turn loop off, go to sample, while in sample hit play, record it, stop when the sound stops, then assign it to a pad and have it play on the first beat, and turn the MIDI on the track you recorded off (but keep the midi track). This bounces your synth track down to an audio sample so you can use the synth for another sound.

Last edited:
The microKorg is practical because it's portable and you could play it anywhere (it can run on batteries). That's cool for gigs, if you don't want to drag your computer with you.
But if you don't gig, you don't really need it.. your Minimoog plugin can cover the microKorg sound range.
And as for the Vocoder, you can find vocoder plugins!

My motto is: if you're not sure about something, you probably don't need it. ;)

Copperhaze said:
Cool thanks!

I will try that....I never knew I could sample and and play at the same time on the 2000xl.

Hi Kojak. I don't think it is possible to record and play at the same time on the 2000xl. Do you have a newer MPC I wonder?

Thanks for the help man.

try to play your sequence, and go into: Mode > Record

PS. if you need more help, post a new thread.. because you kinda hijacked this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back