i need a good stage drum machine

rocknroll

along the lines of an akai but i'm not so sure which would be best. i need something that can save tracks and is the most compatible with any software and that has a lot of capabilities especially with heavy metal drums but also a lot of trance/dance/electronica beats

aaaand i don't want to spend a lot of money

rocknroll said:
along the lines of an akai but i'm not so sure which would be best. i need something that can save tracks and is the most compatible with any software and that has a lot of capabilities especially with heavy metal drums but also a lot of trance/dance/electronica beats

aaaand i don't want to spend a lot of money

So basically you want everything, up to and including the kitchen sink, but don't want to spend any money? Try to get a used Machinedrum Userwave:

http://www.elektron.se/products/?sPage=overview&sProd=ES_SPS1MK2.uw

Also, why do I get the feeling that this recent string of "which synth do I get" posts from single post users is really coming from some company's marketing department?

I'd reccomend the MPC 1000 over the machinedrum. A big downside about the machinedrum is that it doesn't have an assignable footswitch input, which is invaluble if you play on stage. With the MPC you can start and stop and switch patterns using the footswitch. Other than that it's a sampler (can't realtime loop, you'll need a pedal for that), and it'll put out whatever samples you put in via USB or CF. It won't integrate that well with software, but then again, you'll have a tough time finding any drum machine that does that. I think it's your best bet and it's reasonably priced.

The Akai XR-20 drum machine is like a sample CD with an expensive box wrapped around it (700 sounds is kind of sticking to 90's drum machine memory limitations) the drum sounds are OK but they also put in some lame non drum samples like vocal hits and fake scratching sounds etc, there is also a syth on the XR-20 but it is not very good, the biggest downfall of the XR-20 is it's lack of MIDI control. MIDI implementation is non existent so if you want to change any parameters of the sounds like pitch shifting a drum sound you have to do it from the machine with the jog wheel (you can't even automate simple things like panning from left to right via MIDI from a sequencer)

Back