How to operate rackmounts?

F

Fatkid808

Whats up.
I am on the verge of buying an asr-10 rackmount version.
I understand the Midi concept.. but i would like to know would it be possible to hook it up to my Korg Triton and play both at the sametime??
how is the work flow with rackmounts??

I love racks. I have an s3000 a trinity rack and a m3r rack. They are easy to intergrate and don't hurt my workflow at all

but i would like to know would it be possible to hook it up to my Korg Triton and play both at the sametime??

In order to literally play both at the same time you'd need to setup a split. The triton is pretty high end so it should have that feature somewhere. For sequencing, all you would do is select a MIDI Out rather than a sound from the Triton's soundbank. This should be pretty easy to do.

how is the work flow with rackmounts??
A computer is the brain of my beat making setup, so the workflow is the same. Rather than add a VSTi channel, I just add a MIDI Out channel. Sequencing and all that is the same.

The only annoyance is that I have to record out each part as audio, but its not a long process or anything. I use effects to really define certain parts so I need them as audio as quickly as possible. Plus i'm lazy so if a record something as audio, I usually won't ever do it again so it forces me to get stuff right the first time, or work with what i've got, which can have interesting results.

Yiu would have to set both modules on the same midi channel and yes but why do that?

I like racks I control my racks from my sequencer (in this case the Eps classic) I can change sounds and do all of my composing inside of the eps and never have to touch my racks

Xabiton said:
I can change sounds and do all of my composing inside of the eps and never have to touch my racks
Is this possible with any other sequeners (mainly an MPC2000XL) or just the EPS? I've been thinking about purchasing a Motif Rack XS and the thought of not having everything directly in front of me and having to move from the MPC to the Rack to the keyboard, and back would tire me out (though doing it all with softsynth is pretty much the same process right now).

Its a midi thing lol. to change sounds on racks via the mpc or any other sequencer is called a program change. Make sure every instrument is setup on the mpc and make sure they have corresponding midi channels and you should be straight. Read up on midi for more info

Xabiton said:
Its a midi thing lol. to change sounds on racks via the mpc or any other sequencer is called a program change. Make sure every instrument is setup on the mpc and make sure they have corresponding midi channels and you should be straight. Read up on midi for more info
So you're basically talking about changing the actually channel that you're playing on on the sequencer, having all the instruments selected and set to channels on the rackmount already, right?

Xabiton said:
Well setting the channel to a track and changing tracks but I'd still read up on midi
Yeah, I got that much down already. I thought you were saying it was possible to change instruments on the rackmount from the sequencer.

Xabiton said:
It is. The function is called a program change. But you can only do up to 127 patches
Where can I find more information on how to do this?

I've read through my MPC manual many of times and don't remember seeing anything of the sort (though I may have over looked it). I'll do some more reading and some googling. Thanks for letting me know this is possible though.

Last edited:
Back