Get Axiom 61 or just get a full Workstation (possiblyMM6)?

Kblakeshot

Future Hit Maker
Hello FP, my girlfriend recently bought me FL8 for my birthday.. got tired of bootlegs and problems.. so finally wasted a gift and had her get it for me.. so thats what I am working with now..

Anyways.. I was looking into getting a midi controller. I have two offers on the table. I have a buddy selling his MM6 for $350, and also I know a guy selling the Axiom 61 for $200.. Whatever I get will still more than likely be used along with FL8. So.....

Should I just get the Axiom 61 seeing i have tons and tons of VSTs and sample kits and the Motif Es soundfont sounds (fully multi-sampled - kinda like already owning the board).. or should I spend the extra $150 and get the MM6 and get a workstation that I can use as a midi controller or standalone piece? Any thoughts or suggestions will be good. By the way, I do not know how to play the keys, but am trying to learn.

Last edited:
I'd personally get the controller. To my knowledge, the MM6 does not have internal speakers. Then, you're spending extra money to monitor the MM6--a mixer or an audio interface to track it along with FL8. Too much hassle especially if you're well rounded with VSTs alrady. That's just my opinion. Of course if you think the MM6 will bring a lot of value into your music, then it might be worth the added trouble.

I agree with p game. You can do A LOT with VSTs. Use the Axiom 61 for a while, make some money off of the beats you make with it and FL8 and gradually increase your set up. But for now, stick with the Axiom.

yea..get the axiom first then upgrade into a higher one like the motif or fantom... or if ur really eager for the sounds of mm6...buy the mm6..anyway u could use it as midi keyboard controller also..

Also I am not a newbie, but do need to know if all the sliders and knobs that the Axiom has are really needed when I am using FL Studio.. or are they overkill?

I am leaning towards just getting a midi board, but still have the thought of the MM6 also still in my head. Can anyone elaborate on the MM6 a little? Is the sequencer good? Are the sounds good? I looked around and seen so many mixed responses.. just trying to get a little more up to date thoughts. Thanks

id get the MM6. You get those motif sounds that the soundfont just cant match. And you can always use the mm6 as a midi controller in FL too. As long as you have an audio interface with midi and stereo i/o on it you will be good. plug the audio outs of the mm6 to the audio ins on the soundcard and do the same wtih the midi i/o on the mm6 set the mm6 to slave to fl (im sure theres tutorials online i dont use fl) and you should be good to go

Thanks X, although you made my decision harder.. I like hearing lots of opinions.

Anyone think there is another board that may suit me better than the MM6? Id be getting a good deal on the MM6, but just out of curiousness wondered if there where boards out there superior to the MM6 for about the same price or a little more?

For the price you are paying for the MM6 its a great deal. You may be able to get a Trinity in that price range too but thats a very 90s keyboard the MM6 is a lot more modern. I got my Trinity rack for $275 in December w/ shipping on ebay. I dont think the board would cost much more.

yo think of it this way...the the mm6 you getting a board with some presets, has its own sequencer, and can act as a midi controller for fl. plus if the mm6 can connect by usb then you have a midi interface also.

with the mm6 you can use standalone, sequence save the sequence as midi file then import into fl. think in terms of which one is more flexible.

Xabiton said:
id get the MM6. You get those motif sounds that the soundfont just cant match. And you can always use the mm6 as a midi controller in FL too. As long as you have an audio interface with midi and stereo i/o on it you will be good. plug the audio outs of the mm6 to the audio ins on the soundcard and do the same wtih the midi i/o on the mm6 set the mm6 to slave to fl (im sure theres tutorials online i dont use fl) and you should be good to go

cosign. u can probably sell that MM6 for more than u paid for it too ;)

Well I ended up getting the MM6 but not from the guy I was originally going to get it from for $350. Instead I did get one on ebay in Mint Condition for $375 shipped. After using Live.com (if you dont know what this is and use ebay you need to get on it) I ended up only paying $335 for the board shipped! I think that is a great deal seeing that I was very close to hitting the buy button for a Axiom 61 for $255. Guess if I dont like it, I can always sell it for a profit...

Last edited:
I think you'll dig the MM6 as long as you use it with a daw. Its not great stand alone but its a good controller plus it has sounds. Not a bad deal imo

Back