Condensor Mic

CrownRoyal

Im not really sure to post this one, but here it goes. I have been recording stuff for years. I only have 2 regular mics, Shure SM58 and an Audio Technica Pro 31. I am looking to get a condenser mic. It is between 2 of them. The Rode NT1-A or the Audio Technica AT3035 Cardoid Condensor Mic. Someone please tell me you have experience with these mics haha.

stay away from that rode. the Audio technica that is good. Also google Kel Audio. Great stuff for the price. I woul d pair their hm 1 and hm7u against other mics costing at least double what they do!

Wow obi, I'm really interested in why you wouldn't go with the Rode. I've been planning to pick it up for a while.

I have heard it a few times and hated the high end. Makes it seem cheap and shrillish. Just ask a few others around here (As Obi waits for morningstar and hackenslash)

the rode has a bit of a frequency boost on the high end, that's why it seems 'harsh'. fix that in mix.

you're looking at 2 prosumer level condensor mics at a pretty common 299 price point - to be honest there's not much of a difference. the capsules are about the same size, the pickup pattern is really similar.

i've used both, and the AKG C3000 which is about the same thing. i liked the rode for the clarity, but that's about it. all are going to need a halfway decent preamp for best results.

i assume you're going to be recording vocals with this, but who? you? a dude? a chick? might you be recording a variety of other folks in the future?

if you're going to be recording a lot of _different_ vocalists and have to work on a limited budget, let me suggest going with 2 cheaper mics over one more expensive one at this price point.

most condensors under 500 bucks are pretty much the same same components thrown into various shells and grills, with a few exceptions.

maybe an oktava mk319 and one of those MXL 2001's or whatever they're making now? that'll give you a wide variety of tone for not a lot of bone.

(oh zing)

da audio technica 4040 is a beast trust me..i didnt even mix the vocals and recorded into my roland vs-890 and it sounded so nice i got chills up my spine lol. i had a behringer b-1 before so u can understand why i reacted the way i did lol. then i put the vocals into cubase, added compression and some eq and it sounded so clear and crisp..i recommend this mic or the 3035, best ones for 200bills

Last edited by a moderator:
Back