Akai MPK 25 or Axiom A.I.R. 25??? Decisions...decisions

titalwaves

Which one is the better buy? I realize they are both around the same price range ($200-250ish), but I would like to know which one is "worth-it".
This will be my 1st Midi-controller so I am trying to make a wise decision before actually purchasing one.
Peace.

AKAI MPK 25

mpk25_web_back_large.png

mpk25_web_large.png

Last edited:
The biggest problem with computer recording and midi is the latency (delay time from when you press a key, to when a sound is triggered). Latency can be compensated and somewhat fixed. However it can't be totally removed.

With USB & Wifi there's twhas processes going on.

First the computer must receive and recognize the signal.
Second it must translate through the processor/cpu to execute the proper command.

So you have just added to your latency issues.
By going directly to midi or WiFi you skip the receive and translate process.

Don't let the adds fool you. They built and programmed the computer to run efficiently under specific conditions. There's nothing else on computer so the only computer only has the DAW and Midi Controller program it has to run is the DAW and the midi controller program to run. So the CPU Processs have very little to do. Those conditions will likely not apply to you.

It looks like the "AIR" unit does have USB though so expect to use it if that's what you choose to buy.

Ok.
I was thinking of this one that was WiFi/Air.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MidAir25

In this case going with the M-Audio that you posted A.I.R. may not be a bad move.

Last edited:
Ok.
I was thinking of this one that was WiFi/Air.

In this case going with the M-Audio that you posted A.I.R. may not be a bad move.

AIR is the name of the company that acquired M-Audio,
that's why the new M-Audio keyboards look drastically different and have the A.I.R. branding.

It's the same brand that makes the stock plugins for Pro Tools,
and made the popular Hypersonic 2 plugin for Steinberg while A.I.R. was still named "Wizoo".

-Ki
Salem Beats

I had the mpk25 and if you upgrade the pads with bicycle tubing it will make them have a lot better response. the mpk is a lot bigger than it looks in the pictures also. It's fairly large.

I had the mpk25 and if you upgrade the pads with bicycle tubing it will make them have a lot better response. the mpk is a lot bigger than it looks in the pictures also. It's fairly large.
nice! i even found a video explaining the process on youtube "/watch?v=VGxRftgeook"
any upgrades or ideas to inhance m-audio axiom pads?

I think I've made a final decision...
With this being my 1st Midi Controller, I personally feel that there is no way that you could go wrong w/ this.
The "AKAI MPK MINI MK2:
J08540000000000-00-1000x1000.jpg

Last edited:
I have never ehard of the mini2 It looks like a lot of stuff has been improved compared to the original. How are the pad's and keys? Whats this run as well?

They upgraded the "USB Port" among other things...You can search YouTube for a review.
The unit is only $99...You cant beat that at all.
I will be buying one soon.

i was also looking at the Axiom Air 25. ive ben reading mixed reviews on it though. For me HyperControl is not a big deal or a deal breaker if it dont work with my Daw

i went and grabbed the Axion Air 25. got it on sale for $149. i must say this thing is quite big but it's nice. Of course hypercontrol doesnt work with my daw (Reaper) but not a big deal just manually mapped what i wanted and saved it on the keyboard. the pads are pretty responsive (the velocity curve can be adjusted if needed for pads and keys) more so than my mpd24.

nem um nem outro, eu tive axiom pro hypercontrol e não gostei já tive yamaha e um mpk, vendi tudo comprei um que me deixou amante dele é o NOVATION sem duvida dos melhores controladores que ja testei e uso em meu spot junto dum mpd da akai.
recomendo novation

nem um nem outro, eu tive axiom pro hypercontrol e não gostei já tive yamaha e um mpk, vendi tudo comprei um que me deixou amante dele é o NOVATION sem duvida dos melhores controladores que ja testei e uso em meu spot junto dum mpd da akai.
recomendo novation

translates as (from Portuguese)

neither one nor the other, I had HyperControl axiom pro and not like I've had a yamaha and mpk, sold everything bought one that made me his mistress NOVATION is undoubtedly the best drivers that already have tested and use in my spot along the akai mpd of a recommend novation

neither one nor the other, I had HyperControl axiom pro and not like I've had a yamaha and mpk, sold everything bought one that made me his mistress NOVATION is undoubtedly the best drivers that already have tested and use in my spot along the akai mpd of a recommend novation

thanks bandcoach

Last edited:
Back