Akai MPD32 full control of Ableton

What should I do

• Total voters

alexbuga

Hi guys,
First of all, Hello !

I'm new to the forum , but I've been reading it for about a month.

I'm sure a lot of you know Maschine from Native Instruments. Since it's bloody expensive for my budget I was thinking of buying an MPD32 from AKAI and use it to control Ableton Live (which does the stuff that Maschine does, only it doesn't look so cool :D ).

So I was wondering if some of you use this combo of MPD and Live and if it's possible to customize it so you don't need a mouse or keyboard. I'm sure you can't do this 100%, but I would like an advice on this.

Should I save for Maschine and hope they'll release an update with all those lacking features (MIDI import/export) or buy the MPD which is half the price and continue doing my thing in Ableton ?

I'm sure I'll hear stuff like "it doesn't matter what you use, but how you use it"... but Maschine does have a pretty cool workflow ;)

If there is already a topic on this, I'm sorry but I haven't found it.

Buy some plastic buckets and a pair of drum sticks. Seriously though, you need to try to make music with as little as possible when you start out. That is my advice. Good night New York!

Dude first of all I'm not making music since yesterday. I'm a guitar player since 8th grade and I'm 23 now.

I was using Logic to write music, but I got drawn into Maschine and it's workflow and I'm looking for a hands on solution to make music.

If you want to behave like bloody Tarzan you can be my guest and take your buckets and sticks and shove them you know where.

alexbuga said:
Dude first of all I'm not making music since yesterday. I'm a guitar player since 8th grade and I'm 23 now.

I was using Logic to write music, but I got drawn into Maschine and it's workflow and I'm looking for a hands on solution to make music.

If you want to behave like bloody Tarzan you can be my guest and take your buckets and sticks and shove them you know where.

Geeez, Lay off the caffeine brother. The point is, you don't have to go out and spend a wad of cash to make music. It sounds like you already have your mind made up that you want the Maschine, so why are you one here asking for other people's opinions. Tarzan out!

Because I wanted other people's oppinion about the MPD32. It looks like a powerful controller and I was wondering if I can remotely do my stuff in Ableton with it. That's all.

You can close the topic... i'm out of this forum.
Sorry to waste your pretious mysql space.

Well if you happen to show back up... I use the MPD 32 every once in while with Ableton Live Lite 7. If you buy the MPD 32 it should come with that version. It is tailored to work with Live. So in essence you can set up all the controllers to work from the MPD and record, play and bang out beats. You can also do your instruments just like an MPC if you don't have a midi keyboard. Since this was a Live issue I would have gone to the Ableton website and snooped around there. You would have gotten a better response.

Last edited:
mpd32 ableton

can anyone help me sync my mpd 32 with ableton 7. I know the mpd has to be set to external, im just not sure about my ableton preference settings. The note repeat stopped working completley once i switch the controller to external mode. Didn't mean to change topic but seems like there was a bunch of mpd 32 enthusiasts here!!!!

thanks ADam

What are the restrictions on the ableton live lite version that you get with the mpd 32? is it exactly the ableton live lite version you can find on the ableton website?

Back