Studio Monitors, what's the most accurate?

clipfish

Hi, I've been looking to invest into a pair of studio monitors for some time now but I don't want to end up purchasing a pair only to end up wanting to get another just because.
So the best thing to do from the VERY beginning is to get the most accurate sounding monitors, right?
I have had my eyes on the yamaha hs5s, they are PERFECT. The only downside is that their low ends are waay non existent.
Those monitors + the hs8s sub would be perfect, but then I saw the price of the sub.
I was really tempted to go and purchase a pair of KRKs but I'm not there just yet.
You know the story, tight budget, need good monitors.
ACCURATE monitors, meaning flat monitors, meaning not enhanced monitors.
The yamahas are literally perfect, they just didn't have any low end and I can't afford the sub.
Does anybody know if there are monitors that are all round good?
Any suggestions guys?

DO NOT get KRK rokits, lows, highs, ZERO mid

I love the Adam F7's, very affordable phenomenally flat IMO.
Sounds like you are reasing specs too much instead of listening, the Yamaha's are okay, compared to the f7's I thought they were hideous.

Remember monitors are only as good as your room, if your room has no bass your monitors won't either. etc etc.

Don't get a sub right off the bat, it'll be too complicated IMO,I think it's best to learn with a pair of monitors to leanr how much Bass a song is actually supposed to have, not let's have fun with a sub

DO NOT get KRK rokits, lows, highs, ZERO mid

I love the Adam F7's, very affordable phenomenally flat IMO.
Sounds like you are reasing specs too much instead of listening, the Yamaha's are okay, compared to the f7's I thought they were hideous.

Remember monitors are only as good as your room, if your room has no bass your monitors won't either. etc etc.

Don't get a sub right off the bat, it'll be too complicated IMO,I think it's best to learn with a pair of monitors to leanr how much Bass a song is actually supposed to have, not let's have fun with a sub

I haven't heard the adam f7 before, but I have heard the hs5s, their mids and highs were unmatched as far as I'm concerned, the ONLY thing stopping me is it's ability to bring out any lows aha..

I'll be sure to check out the adams though.

I haven't heard the adam f7 before, but I have heard the hs5s, their mids and highs were unmatched as far as I'm concerned, the ONLY thing stopping me is it's ability to bring out any lows aha..

I'll be sure to check out the adams though.

you won't get lows with 5s...need 7+, 8 might be too much all depends on room size, if you want 5 you will need a sub. I think 7's would be the best sacrifice for the price

you won't get lows with 5s...need 7+, 8 might be too much all depends on room size, if you want 5 you will need a sub. I think 7's would be the best sacrifice for the price

Hi thanks for the input, I figured as much the 5s won't have enough umph in the low end..
Do you have yamaha speakers yourself?
I'm leaning more towards the hs8s myself, the room my setup is in is pretty big.

Hi thanks for the input, I figured as much the 5s won't have enough umph in the low end..
Do you have yamaha speakers yourself?
I'm leaning more towards the hs8s myself, the room my setup is in is pretty big.

Don't have the yamaha's. but I have compared the F7's and HS8's in person. I laughed at the Yamaha's.

But get what feels right man don't let these forums influence you to much, I find music equipment calls our name for a reason. just my input

yeh the black and white yamahas are good. the good ones , yeh I think they are called HS80,s I heard them in stoee and they are very very very very detailed.

My m-audio bx5as hit hard and don't over hit like KRk's. they are well balanced and flat and made by a computer. Can't beatem theyre sic. Inexpensive too. I want the 8's. they must hit harder huh?

The only options I consider are the tRUTH'S, Hs80s and ofcourse the M-audio Bx's which I have but not the D2's. Iw ant the d2's but I'm saving my money for the 8 d2's next. Big shit here.

Don't have the yamaha's. but I have compared the F7's and HS8's in person. I laughed at the Yamaha's.

But get what feels right man don't let these forums influence you to much, I find music equipment calls our name for a reason. just my input

You must of gotten funny looks by others aha.
Adam speakers appears to be in everybody's good books when it comes to studio monitors..
But are the yamahas that much inferior to the adams?
It's hard to believe, I guess I'll have to check em out in person I guess..
Surely the yamahas are suffice though, their accuracy is pretty impressive compared to the many mediocre monitors out here.

Events have a pretty good reputation.
Not a lot of chatter about them here on FutureProducers,
because they're just slightly more expensive than what this forum's average demographic is willing to pay.

This model is fairly affordable:

Event 2020BAS Powered Studio Monitors (Pair) (Amazon)

With questions like "What's the most accurate?", it's likely that some of the most truthful responses will be outside of your price range.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
Events have a pretty good reputation.
Not a lot of chatter about them here on FutureProducers,
because they're just slightly more expensive than what this forum's average demographic is willing to pay.

This model is fairly affordable:

Event 2020BAS Powered Studio Monitors (Pair) (Amazon)

With questions like "What's the most accurate?", it's likely that some of the most truthful responses will be outside of your price range.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Yeah I figured as much, but surely there are a pair of monitors that can deliver great results within my price range (;
Right now I'm just comparing a few to one another to see what's actually giving flat responses.

Yeah I figured as much, but surely there are a pair of monitors that can deliver great results within my price range (;
Right now I'm just comparing a few to one another to see what's actually giving flat responses.

You know what will really give you a flat response?

Treating your room.

- Auralex is easy to handle, is very affordable, and will help you deal with mid-to-high frequency reflections.
- OC703 and Rockwool require a bit more work (wrapping with fabric while wearing protective equipment), but are also fairly affordable and generally absorb deeper frequencies.

If you have an untreated room, it's about a 99% chance that you'll get better results by buying these than by buying new monitors.

-Ki
Salem Beats

You know what will really give you a flat response?

Treating your room.

- Auralex is easy to handle, is very affordable, and will help you deal with mid-to-high frequency reflections.
- OC703 and Rockwool require a bit more work (wrapping with fabric while wearing protective equipment), but are also fairly affordable and generally absorb deeper frequencies.

If you have an untreated room, it's about a 99% chance that you'll get better results by buying these than by buying new monitors.

-Ki
Salem Beats

It's funny you say that, the room in which my setup is in is already treated, the only thing missing if a pair of monitors.

The Bx8 D2's are supposedly really flat. Flatter than my already great bx5a's. That is because the D2 version is new and upgraded.

The best monitors I have heard are the Yamaha HS80's for high fidelity. Sometimes I wonder if they are too high fidelity and made for certain acoustic instances. What is nice about the Yamaha HS80's is that they have (I believe) 2 EQ's on the back. -3.0.3, for both the highs and the lows. Great for hearing differently.

Adam make exceptional monitors, if you can resist temptation, hold on until you can afford some. They have X-art ribbon tweeters which apart from sounding clear are supposed to help prolong the effects of ear fatigue.

X-ART | ADAM Audio GmbH

What is nice about the Yamaha HS80's is that they have (I believe) 2 EQ's on the back. -3.0.3, for both the highs and the lows. Great for hearing differently.

Yeah I'm aware of the features on the back, I'm pretty sure most monitors have that aha, thanks for your input.

Adam make exceptional monitors, if you can resist temptation, hold on until you can afford some. They have X-art ribbon tweeters which apart from sounding clear are supposed to help prolong the effects of ear fatigue.

X-ART | ADAM Audio GmbH

Being on this forum I've noticed that a good handful of people are fans of the adam monitors.
I'd be a fool to ignore the love that people have for them, unfortunately my situation when it comes to checking out monitors in person is very limited,
in that the place that I'm purchasing my monitors from only has a narrow selection specifically when it comes to the adam monitors, but there were a pair from adam that caught my eye though, do you have any input on the adam F7s?

Being on this forum I've noticed that a good handful of people are fans of the adam monitors.
I'd be a fool to ignore the love that people have for them, unfortunately my situation when it comes to checking out monitors in person is very limited,
in that the place that I'm purchasing my monitors from only has a narrow selection specifically when it comes to the adam monitors, but there were a pair from adam that caught my eye though, do you have any input on the adam F7s?

Yeah, I don't have first hand experience of the F7's, I have a pair of A5's, the F series were created to challenge the budget end monitors, that's to say the Yamaha Hs's, the KRK's and a number of other quality budget monitors.
Here are some of the reviews the F7's have been given -
Music Radar
Adam F Series Monitors | Music Tech reviews | MusicRadar

Sound On Sound
Adam F7

DV247
Adam F-Series Monitor Review | DV247

Dont believe all the hype. Put it like this, if the room you do your music in isnt properly treated, I dont see the point in buying overly expensive subs. I started out in 2011 with a pair of KRK Rokit6 g2's which served me very well until this summer. The mids are a slight bit scooped, but the bass you get, especially if you do hiphop is great. I ended up buying a pair of Yamaha HS8 Zen Pro mods and the difference was not anything overly amazing. I demoed many monitors, adam's, dynaudio, event, jbl, tannoy,and others in the $1,000 or less per pair. Some are just flat out bad, but most arent that far from each other. If you need bass, dont count out the krk. THe yamaha's are more balanced and you can find a pair used on ebay for under $400

Back