So I Know Everyone Always Wants To Know This...But What Monitors?

GShakour

It seems like everywhere I look online when researching what monitors I should get people always have a different opinion. Some say you can never get a perfect monitor, so just settle with one that you like/can afford. Some have extreme hate for one brand and absolutely swear by another. And the list goes on and on and on. Obviously this makes it very difficult for me to decide on which speaker set-up to get since I always seem to find a couple reviews that contradict what I was thinking every time I think I have decided.

So here's my background: I am 18 now and have been writing, composing, recording, mixing, and producing music ever since I was 14 and starting out with GarageBand. My style of music is primarily pop/hip-hop with rap thrown in, but I also venture into dance, electronic, and whatever else I am feeling. My current gear is:
-Audio interface Focusrite 2i2
-Controller M-Audio Axiom 25
-Mic At2035
-Headphones Sony MDR 7506, ATH-M50, and V-Moda M100
-For a speaker right now I am currently borrowing my dad's Bose all-in-one Acoustic Wave Music System II, which while I know is designed to make music sound good rather than play it accurately, is the best speaker I have access to.

So now the time is come for me to get a pair of real monitor speakers, and since I got a little money for graduation presents I have a max of about $400 (but could go up to $500 if it was really worth it). At the time I am thinking of not getting a subwoofer and just adding that later (since this will allow me to get higher quality speakers). I was originally thinking of getting the M-Audio BX5 D2s or the Rokit 5 or 6 incher's, however everyone who has had these and now has used other speakers seems in consensus that these speakers are mainly popular because of A) Marketing & B) Because they sound good rather than accurate.
If I shouldn't go with these what should I purchase instead? Alesis, JBL, Mackie, and Yamaha are the main companies that I have seen recommended, though on the flip side I have also read that though these companies make incredible high end products, their entry level speakers suck.

Yamaha HS50m (now apparently just HS5) or the Equator D5s is probably what I'd go for with a budget like that.

^^^^This right here.

Although I have seen the Yamaha HS80m go down to about $250 each when they announced their new HS line.

Back